“One of the highlights of our trip!”

PeruRail - Vistadome
Machu Picchu Day Trip from Cusco
Ranked #19 of 888 Tours in Cusco
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The Vistadome connects you with the beautiful andean landscape through a totally panoramic view on the route to Machu Picchu. It highlights the andean culture in diverse forms such as music, gastronomy, folk dancing, history and even scents.
Lisbon, Portugal
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of our trip!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

One of the highlights of our trip! We had such a luck! I brought the tickets way in advance and therefore we got the first seats in the vehicle; which meant having a big window in front of us, allowing us to take the best pictures and enjoy the breathtaking landscape outside!!

Visited March 2013
PeruRail, Community Manager at PeruRail - Vistadome, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. SG13L,

We are glad you had a wonderful time aboard the Vistadome train and that you had an unforgettable experience with us. We are always working to provide our passengers with a unique and excellent service so they can enjoy the trip to its fullest. We want to thank you for choosing PeruRail as your travel option in this opportunity and for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. We hope we can have you back again soon and with all that Peru has to offer.

The PeruRail Team

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Incredible”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We took the Vistadome form Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu. and back. A ride in this train with its Glass domes and large windows is worth every penny, it was the middle of the day, bright sunshine, the view was incredible. The snacks were ordinary but the staff were efficient and professional. Would like to do it again.

1 Thank Pervez A
Dear Mr. Pervez A,

It is a pleasure to receive your comments and we are glad to know you had an incredible time aboard the Vistadome train. Our goal is to offer our passengers an unforgettable experience . We want to thank you for your preference with PeruRail and we really hope this will not be the last time we can have you aboard of our trains.

The PeruRail Team
Hong Kong, China
“One of the best staff I met for train travel”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

On 30 Jan 2013, I was in Cuzco, supposed to travel on Tren 303 from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. I was delayed while waiting inside a collectivo in Cuzco but was subsequently led by the bus station people to the shared taxi station 10m next door. There I met Alfredo del Castilo, who wore Perurail uniform and told me I could follow him and be assured to reach Ollantay in time as he would be travelling on the same train with me.

Needless to say, we took the same shared taxi and arrived on time. He led me to the Ollantay station while showing me where to take the collectivo back to Cuzco the next day after I had visited Machu Picchu. On the train, on hearing that I need assistance in finding a hotel, he offered to help. Indeed, on arrival at Aguas Calientes, he did go with me and helped to negotiated a good price for a hostel for the night. This is certainly appreciated given that I speak only about 50 simple, broken words of Spanish. And then I found out his position in Perurail Machu Picchu station.

The next day, 31st Jan 2013, when I returned to Machu Picchu station again, Alfredo was there looking out for me to ensure that I was alright with the hostel. He also reuested the on-board train staff to assist me if required.

And Celso Rios on the train asked whether I needed help to get a taxi or collectivo back to Cuzco. He accompanied me outside Ollantay station to ensure I had a seat on the collectivo before he left.

Thanks Alfredo (and Celso). You made Perurail a preferred way to travel.

Henry

Visited January 2013
Dear Mr. riversidebird,

We are happy and proud to receive your comments about your trip to Machu Picchu. Our goal is to offer the best service for our passengers. Thank you for choosing PeruRail as your travel option in this opportunity and for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community and us.

Waco, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Odd but beautiful”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The train was very average, but the view along the way was incredible. The seats were comfortable, the snacks, edible, the beer, cold. I did not like taking the train only halfway to Cusco on the return. The bus ride to Cusco was long, horrible, and boring. I also did not appreciate the sales pitch to buy alpaca stuff on the train--and the weird "fashion" show that we had to endure. Or the weird dancing shaman on the train. Odd, very odd. The view from the train, however, was incredible. The trains did run on time.

PeruRail, Comunista Manager at PeruRail - Vistadome, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Mr. Spanishmedievalist,

We want to thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share them with the Trip Advisor community. We apologize for the bus ride to Cusco but it is the only way we have now to continue servicing our passengers because of the actual weather conditions and their safety. Once again, thank you for your preference with PeruRail and we hope we can have you back again soon.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't believe the hype.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Well, we took the Vistadome train from Machu Picchu at the end of March, but we only rode the train to Poroy, then we were put on motor coaches to continue the rest of the way to Cusco. The only explanation for this was a prerecorded message saying something about the "rainy season" affecting the train service. We left @ 5:30 pm and arrived at an empty Perurail depot in Cusco @ 9:30 pm. Our transfer person said the other buses from our train had arrived @ 20 minutes earlier. We were not told we would be taking a bus until we arrived at the Machu Picchu station. We paid more for this train as was stated by other reviewers, but did not actually ride on the train for more than half the return trip. The train from the Sacred Valley the morning before was also inferior to the evening train today. The trains themselves are similar to commuter trains in the US, not like long distance trains there or in Europe. You can't really get up and move around, though there is a bathroom at the end of the car, but only 2 passenger cars and no food car. The view is nice, but you really only see the river from the right window seats and the overhead windows are essentially not functional. Don't expect the "meal" to be worth eating or adequate as both were smaller and less appetizing than bad airplane food. Luckily we ate breakfast at our hotel in the morning and lunch in Machu Picchu before the afternoon trip. We were treated to a fashion show of sorts by the train food service crew hawking "alpaca" products for sale on the pm train. It was somewhat amusing at best. The pm bus driver also answered his mobile phone twice and was driving with one hand while conversing with the caller in the dark on poorly lit local roads which were hilly and often populated with stray dogs along the side of the road. Our transfer person stated this is not legal in Peru, but that many people do it none-the-less. We were on the train leaving Machu Picchu in March, but I won't say exactly when as my friend on the same trip was afraid the driver would be fired for driving and using his phone. I really only want the company to enforce the phone ban on its drivers due to concerns about the safety of its passengers. I also tried to use the bathroom on the bus after a few hours in transit, but one of the train staff said it was not possible and the bathroom door was locked. I wish someone would have told us to use the train or station restrooms before boarding the buses. Luckily it was not an emergency. The seating assignments were odd also. I was traveling with 3 other people and we were seated in 3 different rows. Others around me swapped seats to travel with their companions. We arranged this trip 6 months ago and this is supposed to be low or shoulder season. I heard one passenger remark that it appeared the train company had made no effort whatsoever to seat passengers together. Ironically, at the end of the trip, they played a recorded message which stated they hoped it had been "an unforgettable trip"... It was.

1 Thank gr8worldtraveler
PeruRail, Community Manager at PeruRail - Vistadome, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. gr8worldtraveler,

We apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced in your visit to Machu Picchu. We really appreciate your comments because they help us to ​improve​ ​our services. We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our community and us, because our priority is always the comfort and ​security ​of our passengers when using our services. We are always at your service.