“3 day/2 night Expedition”

Quechuas Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Quechuas Expeditions(Large, Small and private Groups Specialists)The Best Local Tour Operator Sustainable tourism consists on providing direct and/or indirect benefits to the communities that are visited. Whenever it is possible, this is done through sustainable activities that protect the environment and the participation in social projects that help local communities and protected areas, always providing a high quality service.Being ecologically responsible on a trip doesn’t mean sacrificing the quality of the stay nor the travel plans. It basically consists on planning the visit in a more conscientious way.We firmly believe the communities visited must get a direct benefit, whenever possible, through the sustainable trips, environment protection, and social projects.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I really like Quechuas Expeditions. We did a private group of two persons, guide Victor Hugo (Chulo) and our porters. I much prefer a small group so I can ask questions when they arise and if either of us needed help along the way, the guide stayed with the one who needed it the most. I had to take my time going up and Mike had to take his time going down. I was impressed not only with Chulo's knowledge of the Inca history but equally important to me were the birds and flowers I came across. It was hard to stump him on a flower's name and equally important some of the history of where the flowers are found.

We did this trek in 2.25 days which I don't recommend unless your are in very good shape. Our first night's stay was with below Dead Woman's Pass with other groups that were already completing their second day. I am very glad I trained back at home for 9 moths prior to starting out but I am 60 years old too and needed to remain in top shape to do this.. In Michigan, there are very few hills to practice on and certainly you can't compensate for altitude but I did walk every day 3 to 5 miles with a 30 pound pack at 3.5 mph to get the equal work out I would experience on the trail.

Do yourself a favor and pay for an extra porter so your pack contains ONLY the essentials you need for the day such as water and a rain coat. Every extra pound will be very noticeable near 13,000 feet msl. I carried near 15 lbs and I felt it! Make your ascent according to your own pace.... do your own climb and don't be intimidated by others ... a golden rule I have learned from motorcycling through out the years.

Chulo was a great guide. We kept it light, happy and plenty of jokes and smiles along the way. It made the difficult climbs and descents go by rather well. His knowledge of Machu Picchu was spot on and after our tour of the ruins, remained with us till securely at our hotel in Aguas Calientes. All-in-All, a very memorable trip. Gracias amigos por mucho divertido, comedas buenas, y vistas maravaillos!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Robert K
There are newer reviews for Quechuas Expeditions

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We picked Quechuas because they specialize in small groups. Though we didn't sign up for a private trek, our family of five ended up with a private trek which was great because we went at our own pace. On day 2, we mistakenly opted for lunch after Dead Woman's Pass and then took a long time to get to camp. The cook sent porters out to meet us along the way with sandwiches and hot tea. Overall, food was wonderful - our cook even made us a cake! Tents were warm and dry. Sleeping bags were warm and new. Our guide spoke English well and was knowledgeable on the plants and animals, as well as on local people and the Inca. His Quechuan heritage probably helped give us a better understanding of the land and people.

1  Thank Julia B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am a tour leader from Poland. Quechuas Expeditions was organising for me tours many times - city tours in Cusco and sourroundings, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Inka Trail. They have very good buses and guides. They recomend good hotels. Service is very good.Just could be cheaper.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Ola P
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We did the four day Macchu Picchu trail with Quechuas and found them extremely professional and helpful, as well as providing a friendly atmosphere. The pre trip organization was comprehensive, with a good explanation of how things worked. The trip itself was outstanding, with everything working well, and a happy group of travelers and guides, porters and cook. We would thoroughly recommend them as a reliable company for the Inca Trail.

1  Thank Autraliantraveller
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We researched over a dozen international and local operators and selected Quechuas because of the care they showed to details important to us. Sally and I were making our first big high mountain hike and the staff provided pre-trip training guidelines, provided a warm informative welcome in Cusco, and set up all the equipment (think sleeping pads, 1st class sleeping bags and tents) and a wonderful team to lead us to Machu Picchu. Percy, the guide, had trail knowledge, hiking tips, ancestral connection to the area, cultural and spiritual insights about the Incas and Quechuans. Food was wonderful and included 2 birthday cakes mid-hike! The entire crew was fun, friendly and interested in our well-being the entire way. A great owner-operated local guiding company...we highly recommend them.