Tripadvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Review Highlights
4D/3N hike was everything we imagined!

Our 4 day, 3 night trek with Alpaca Expeditions was everything we could have hoped for. Our guide... read more

Reviewed today
Malcolm M
via mobile
2 Day Sacred Valley and MP tour

Our guide Ruben was the best and can't recommend him enough. As a local he not only shared facts... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
kristinaconstantina
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Cusco
from $400.00
from $53.40
from $479.00
from $788.00
7,792 results
All reviews green machine inca trail cake chose alpaca machu picchu juan carlos head porter every meal amazing experience food was amazing sleeping bags once in a lifetime other companies these guys making sure sous chef an amazing job
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Where do I even begin? From the minute we inquired about a 2D/1N Macchu Picchu hike (before even booking it), Alpaca was extremely responsive, attentive, and answered all of our questions. When we did go ahead and book, they continued with the superb customer service- offering us everything from detailed maps of the trek, a packing list, and all of the transportation information we would need. They were incredible accommodating with letting us switch our orientation time to allow ourselves to spend a day in the Sacred Valley before our hike. They let us store our luggage in their Cusco office so we could explore the city before our orientation began, and they even recommended an amazing restaurant for us to try.

I was fighting bronchitis when we landed in Cusco, and thought that I would recover a little bit in the Sacred Valley before our trek began. However, the morning of our trek, I was in terrible shape. But I couldn't not do the hike- I had paid so much money to get to Peru and check this off the bucket list- so I forged on. Our porters and chef were super sweet- we had a nice breakfast/introduction ceremony with them and our guide, Ivan. It was absolutely inspirational to see the two female porters that were part of our group- they kicked so much butt! One was older and wore a traditional village skirt with her Alpaca shirt- it was great fun to see the porters' personalities shine through. They all had unique stories, and it was a privilege to get to share time with them and learn more about their lives.

Our guide, Ivan, was incredible knowledgable and really took the time during the hike to share unique facts about the different ruins we visited. He knew a lot about the flora and fauna, and took the time to thoughtfully answer all of our questions.

Unfortunately, the altitude sickness combined with an insane amount of congestion was absolutely killing me, and I spent most of the hike coughing uncontrollably and trying to breathe. Ivan was concerned, and kept checking on me to make sure I was ok. I was lagging behind and he really went out of his way to stay with me and offer words of encouragement to keep me going. At one point, he even took my backpack and insisted on carrying it to make the steps easier for me.

By the time we got to the Sun Gate, I had a fever and was throwing up. Ivan stayed with me and kept checking on me to make sure I was ok. I felt absolutely terrible, and was in tears from sickness and embarrassment, and Ivan went above and beyond to make sure I was fine.

We made it down to Macchu Picchi and took a bus down to the camp grounds, which were private and clean. There were showers and charging stations for phones/electronics. The tents were spacious. (We rented sleeping bags and mattress pads from Alpaca, and the bags were very warm.) The food was delicious and abundant, and the company of our hikers, the porters, chef, and Ivan was lovely.

We were awoken early the next morning with hot cups of coca tea, and walked from our camp grounds down to Aguas Calientes to catch the bus up to Macchu Picchu. Our tour of Macchu Picchu was extremely thorough, and Ivan really shined as he explained so much about the Inca Empire. He is so enthusiastic about Macchu Picchu, and it showed in how he spoke with awe and wonder about everything. Macchu Picchu is an incredibly magical place, and Ivan somehow made it even more magical. He pointed out what all the various structures meant and were designed for, and gave us a lot of insight into Inca spirituality and symbolism. It was magnificent.

After the tour, we had some free time to explore ourselves, and then we took a bus down to Aguas Calientes, where we shared lunch as a group before heading back for Cusco. Ivan continued to check in on me and ask me how I was feeling. Alpaca took care of everything- our train and our transportation from the hotel. They returned our luggage to us and dropped us off at the front door of our hotel, exhausted but extremely happy.

Alpaca has the absolute friendliest team around- every single person that works there takes immense pride in the company- and it shows. They are extremely helpful, knowledgable and caring- every step of the way. We never had to worry because Alpaca will effortlessly coordinate every part of your Inca Trail journey so you can relax and enjoy. I cannot thank them enough for going above and beyond for me while I was sick- especially our guide Ivan, who was an angel. They are pros at what they do, and will truly help make your trek the experience of a lifetime. Thank you so so much!

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As our trip was deep into wet season we opted for the shorter hike and loved every minute of it. Not too strenuous, delicious food, amazing accomodation. Everything exceeded our expectations, including our awesome guide Roro! He is very knowledgeable and an all around nice guy! The best part of our hike was the ability to see Machu Picchu in both the afternoon and morning. During wet season this was invaluable.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a great time doing the short Inca trail with our guide Roro! Everything exceeded our expectations (food, accom)! With the short Inca trail you get two opportunities to see Machu Picchu (one on each day) which was invaluable this time of year!

Our guide Roro was great! Really informative and we enjoyed spending time walking the trail with him!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We did the Path to the Sun Gate experience (8 nights total) where Alpaca picked us up from the airport and we explored Cisco on our own. Day 2 we had a tour of the Sacred Valley with Ruben from Alpaca. It was highly educational and fun and we enjoyed a great lunch. We stayed the following evening in Ollantaytambo and then Lourdes and Henry picked us up for our 4 day classic Inka trail trek.

I can not describe how amazing the experience was. Our guides took great care of all of us and were highly knowledgeable, not to mention supportive when I needed the extra energy to get up to the highest pass. Cesar Catalan’s team of porters were nothing less than supermen, going so far as to carry a fellow tourist who was struggling-after carrying their packs to our camp!

The food on the trek was fantastic. Chef Alex pulled out all the stops and we enjoyed 3-course Peruvian meals. There was rarely a tray returned with any crumbs.

The entire Alpaca team has made our Peru experience unforgettable. In addition to the trek and Sacred Valley experience, they helped arrange our transportation to Mil restaurant in Moray after our trek. Everything ran smoothly without any worry for us that our Alpaca family would to be at each transition on time. I would highly recommend Alpaca Expeditions to anyone visiting the Cusco region for their Machu Picchu trek and beyond!

1  Thank maggiethomsond
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were thoroughly looked after by Alpaca Expeditions. Saul, our tour guide, spoke great English and let us go at our own pace. We opted for the vegan option and were spoilt with meal options - Silverio our cook, and Valentina were outstanding and produced an amazing quality (and quantity) of food. this no doubt made our trek even more enjoyable. The trek itself is definitely challenging but not overwhelming. I was pleased to find that we made good time and even ahead of schedule. The Inka sites are stunning although extremely spread out. Not an issue but we were very tired by the end. Saul spoke to us in detail about each site and was very knowledgeable. We were extremely impressed with the crew’s hiking skills. We would arrive to the campsite from a long trek to warm tea and a dry tent which our horseman, Alfredo, had set up where we could relax before dinner. The mountain regions that you pass are simply stunning as well as the villages where people are very welcoming and gracious.

1  Thank Fabulousfabs2212