“Better than I ever could have imagined!”
Review of Alpaca Expeditions

Alpaca Expeditions
Ranked #1 of 627 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Alpaca Expeditions is an experienced culture and adventure travel company that creates customized tours for travelers visiting Peru. We will work with you to create the trip of a lifetime, whether you dream of trekking through the Andes on a 4 day climb to the lost city of the Incas or conquering the heights of Macchu Picchu through the indulgence of a luxurious train, let us make all your dreams come true. Alpaca Expeditions is the only company using satellite phones to operate adventure trekking tours to Machu Picchu as your safety is more important to us.
Reviewed August 13, 2018

What an absolutely wonderful experience with Alpaca Expeditions. A friend and I did the 4D/3N Lares Trek and while I had heard wonderful things about it prior, the experience was even better than I expected.

Our guide, Robinson, was truly a gem of a person. Full of history, information, and everything else under the sun. I struggled with altitude sickness on day 2 and he was more than accommodating to do everything he possibly could to help me. The porters were also wonderful and made absolutely amazing food!!! They set up our tents and beds each night, gave us hot water bottles on our two very cold nights camping, and even tracked down my hat I lost on the trail on day 3:)

The best part of the Lares Trek was visiting the locals. Robinson made a point to meet up with different families and children in each local village and we had a chance to visit inside their homes and their alpaca farms as well. It was such an eye opening experience into a culture very different than mine.

I highly encourage you to check out this wonderful company!! And request Robinson as your guide if possible:)

Write a ReviewReviews (4,350)
All reviews
in 134 reviews
"amazing porters"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2018

My family (grown children) and I did a nine-day trek to Choquequirao and on to Machu Picchu with Alpaca. They were very flexible in allowing us to plan a "day off" to explore the ruins, and our guides were fantastically knowledgeable and informative regarding all the ruins we saw on this trek. I had difficulty with the altitude and the steep climbs, but there was always a mule or horse available for me to ride in order to have this amazing adventure with the rest of my family. Simon, our primary guide, Alex (the secondary guide), and our cook, Julio Cesar were flat-out wonderful and took great care of all of us, including when a couple of folks on the trek had some stomach issues (likely related to exhaustion from this difficult hike). Their tents were all in great condition, the food was quite good, and when we needed them to change the plan due to a blocked trail, they exceeded expectations in terms of planning and resources. They've given us many great memories to treasure as a family!

Reviewed August 13, 2018

Our trip with Alpaca was amazing! My sister and I did the 2d/1n trip and the process was seamless from beginning to end! We had a nice-sized 4 person group and Flecher was our awesome guide. He was incredibly knowledgeable, funny, and a great leader the entire trip. He kept a good pace and always made sure each member of the group was having a good time and feeling okay physically. We also liked that he was communicative and always updated us on the plan for the next few hours. The food was incredible the whole trip and we were always well-fed! The trek itself was fairly strenuous the first day, but definitely doable. Arriving at the sungate on day 1 made it all worth it! It was an awesome way to admire Machu Picchu from a distance and get us excited for the next day. The camping gear was excellent and slept soundly. The campsite is fairly secluded, but if you're a light sleeper, bring a set of ear plugs just in case. We woke up early to see the sunrise at Machu Picchu on Day 2 and it did not disappoint! Flecher gave a great tour and knew all the great spots for epic photos. He then gave us some free time to wander the ruins before meeting us in town for a final meal together. The train and bus rides there were both very comfortable. Alpaca also performs door-to-door service, so that was great since we stayed at a place a little outside of town. Beyond the excellent trip, Alpaca is a great company that strives to support the local people and economy from the Inca trail. They have a lot of social programs and take good care of their team and porters! I would definitely recommend this company to anyone considering any treks! Thanks for a memorable trip, Flecher!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed August 13, 2018

Alpaca Expeditions is the most organized tour operator we dealt with in Cusco. Juan Carlos was a wonderful and thoughtful guide. It was raining during day one of our trek but he was so upbeat and positive it kept our spirits up. When he picked us up from the hotel he saw that we were dealing with the front desk about our lost luggage and gave the hotel his cell and asked them to call him with updates. Towards the end of day one he noticed the other couple's phones were running low on battery so he borrowed a battery pack for them to use. We really enjoyed our time with him and were sad to part ways at the end of our trek.

Our chef and his assistant also spoiled us at every meal. There was so much delicious food, we were stuffed senseless. We brought snacks but never touched them because we were so well fed. We ate at several restaurants around Cusco but each time we agreed that Alpaca's meals were so much better.

We highly recommend choosing Alpaca Expeditions for your Cusco excursions and ask for Juan Carlos!

1  Thank Cud224
See more reviews
Reviewed August 13, 2018

My son and I traveled to Cusco with a group to do the Salkantay trek. Ayden got sick the day we were supposed to start the hike so we had to stay in Cusco for 3 days while he was recovering from an intestinal infection. Ronaldo at Alpaca Expeditions came to see us every day to check on us: he provided information such as where to take my son to the doctor. He brainstormed options with us and helped us day by day. We were able to rejoin our group at Machu Picchu (we took the train there instead of doing the hike): Ronaldo arranged for the train + driver to get us there. The team there was really top notch - given my total lack of Spanish, having them provide support was really key in making these 3 days go as well as they could.
Like many others have testified here, I can also vouch that the guides were really great for the rest of the trip but what really stuck with me was their presence when events took us off the planned agenda and we needed to adjust quickly to help my son.

1  Thank ademirtjis