“Amazing Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wayki Trek

Wayki Trek
Ranked #4 of 384 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Wayki Trek is a highly recommended by the South American Explorers Club, Footprint Travel Guide, On the Road Travel Guide and Lonely Planet Travel Guide readers, Wayki Trek has been working with travelers on the Inca trail around Cusco since 1998. We are under indigenous management. We offer the Inca trail and alternative treks and tours in Peru.
Huntington Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

My fiancée and I finished the 4 day classic Inca Trek yesterday. Our tour guide Rox was amazing, friendly, and knowledgable. Our chef, Flabio, made amazing food, including a cake without an oven!! The head porter, Valerio, was awesome and helpful. We couldn't have done the trip without the staff, including bringing us breakfast on day 4 by hiking 10 minutes in the rain to a nearby shelter/check point. We have a new found respect for porters and the staff. Thank you Wayki Trek for an unforgettable experience.

2 Thank Traveler4Life2013

Basel, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional, helpful and generally first rate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Having arranged to meet friends in Cusco and do the 2-day Machu Picchu Trekk with WaykiTrek, I decided at short notice that I would like to extend my travels in Peru. Wayki Trek accommodated my wishes and adapted their available Peru packages to build a wonderful itinerary around my original booking. Ruth, my administrative contact in Lima and the local staff in Cusco were incredibly helpful and all tour guides on my 3 week trip were professional and informative. Apart from the pain of only being able to pay by pay-pal, western union or cash, there were only upsides to this trip. The homestay on Taquile Island and of course the 2-day Machu Picchu trek (with Freddie) were particular highlights.Thank you for the great experience.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Alex R
Fort Collins
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I expected them to be good; they were fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I did a lot of research before choosing Wayki Trek and it paid off. I chose them because they are an indigenous owned company, had a good reputation for community involvement and environmental awareness. They also had great reviews on TripAdvisor. All of that is true and important, but they were even better than I'd expected.

As others have said here, the communication before the trip was excellent. All my questions were answered. They even have a live chat available on their site which was helpful when I was first deciding when to go. We are in our early 60s and I was concerned about having time to acclimate in Cusco before starting the 4 day Inca Trail Trek. Lexa was extremely helpful and even opened a new trek for us so we would have 3 days in Cusco before starting. They keep the groups small--8 or less. It turned out that this trip was only my husband and me along with our wonderful guide Roxner, 4 porters and the chef.

Wayki offers a Wayki experience which is a day in a local village where many of the porters live and spending the night with a family at no additional cost. I highly recommend it. Our guide for that part was Maruja who had grown up in the village. We stayed with her family. We got a good feeling for the village life and the life of the farmers there. We also visited a library that Wayki Trek built as an after-school program. And the food was better than we'd had at the fancy restaurants we'd gone to in Cusco. It was harvest season and everything was fresh and delicious!

The next morning our guide Roxner and the rest of the crew picked us up for the drive to the start of the trail. The trail is beautiful and challenging. Roxner was very knowledgeable and also just a really nice guy. He has a true respect for history of the Inca and the Quechua people. I eavesdropped on other guides along the trail and was always impressed about how much more thorough (and interesting) Rox was. He was very clear about what we could expect ahead and patient when we thought our knees would give out.

As many other people have said, the porters were fabulous. The food was great, they took very good care of us, and again were very nice guys. Our Spanish is mediocre at best, but they were nice about our butchered Spanish and Quechuan phrases and laughed along with us.

One of the nice things that Wayki Trek does is carry along a toilet tent which ended up being a really important part of our trip. On the second day, while hiking down the steep steps, it started raining, which made progress difficult. 1/2 way down, I started having intestinal troubles. Many of the restrooms along the trail are somewhat difficult. Having our own bathroom at the end of the day was wonderful, especially when I got sick.

This is really a company that walks the walk. They know their stuff, they are responsible to the culture, the people and the environment, and they take very good care of their clients.

1 Thank Sue B
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“4-Day Inca Trail-Remarkable Experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

My family (me, my wife and 13 year old son) trekked with Wayki Trek on the 4-day Inca Trail route. We had a wonderful, remarkable experience. We selected Wayki Trek mainly because of the numerous 5 star reviews posted on Trip Advisor. The Trip Advisor ratings were spot on. Wayki Trek is excellent. Great pre-trip communications. We knew exactly what to bring, our precise itinerary, and had a complete itemization of all the "extras" we had reserved. We met with our guide, Frankie, the day before the Trek. Frankie provided a detailed explanation of our trek and picked us up from our hotel at the exact time he said he would. The trek was flawless. The porters were absolutely amazing. Every need was taken care of from the tent set up, to the 4 course meals in the dining tent, the meal preparation along the way, and the transportation home. Frankie even arranged for private van transportation the last leg of our trip home (we had an early morning departure). I highly recommend the Wayki Experience the day before your trek. The Experience is an unforgettable journey to the Porter's village. At the village, you immerse yourself in the life, family and culture of the porters. Again, Wayki Trek exceeded all my expectations. I would not hesitate recommending Wayki Trek to family, friends, and all who are considering an Inca Trail trek.

2 Thank Gugie1
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing company and trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Wayki Trek is an amazing company; they were helpful from the very beginning when I was just researching companies to go with. Lexa responded to all of my questions quickly, and with much patience, as I had a lot of questions! It was because of Lexa's excellent customer service, the fact that they are under indigenous management and gives back to their communities, and the guarantee of a small group size of 8 or smaller, that we decided to go with them. Plus, they offer the Wayki Experience the night before the trek, which was amazing. We got to meet the families of one of the porters, cooked dinner with them, and danced with their children.

Ruben, our tour guide, was awesome. He was very knowledgable about the history, the Inca sites, and all the beautiful flowers along the way. The porters and cooks were all amazing, too. They would left camp after we did, run past us along the trail, beat us to the next camp, have the tents set up, and be already cooking lunch or dinner for us. They were amazing, and we couldn't have done it without them!

The 4 day classic Inca Trail was breath-taking. There's just nothing like it. The lush green trees, the fog as it rolls in and out of view, the sound of the waterfalls, birds, and frogs - it's something you have to experience in person. Photos just don't do it justice.

Wayki Trek really takes care of you. Ruben made sure we stayed together as a group, and being that we were only a small group of 7, it was not hard. Even when some of us may have been slower than others, Ruben made sure to check in with everyone, and stay with the slower folks. I was told that Wayki Trek will rent out a portable toilet if you didn't want to go in the squatters or in the woods, but on our trek, they brought one for us anyway. No one in the group rented it. Wayki Trek just brought it, and set up our own private toilet for us to use if we chose. None of us did, though, because we didn't want to have any porters have to clean it out, but the fact that they would do that was very nice.

There's really no competition when it comes to choosing a company to trek the Inca Trail. Wayki Trek is amazing, and will make your experience unforgettable - you will not regret it!

Visited March 2014