“You have to use them!”
Review of Wayki Trek

Wayki Trek
Ranked #7 of 679 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Wayki Trek is a highly recommended by the South American Explorers Club, Footprint Travel Guide, On the Road Travel Guide and Lonely Planet Travel Guide readers, Wayki Trek has been working with travelers on the Inca trail around Cusco since 1998. We are under indigenous management. We offer the Inca trail and alternative treks and tours in Peru.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I have been on several treks throughout the world. I say this because Wayki is the tops! Their professionalism, passion, and friendliness is genuine and always-present from their owners, guides, cooks, and porters. In fact, Wayki is acknowledged for being totally run by indigenous workers, something few if any tourist companies can claim.

We recommend the Moonstone trek to Machu Picchu, as we saw zero tourists for the first four days. Imagine trekking high in the Andes, free to explore virtually untouched Incan ruins with a knowledgeable guide to offer insight and perspective to every plantlife, local family, or historical encounter. Unforgettable!

Request Ruben as a guide. His warm personality, knowledge about everything, and ability to effectively present that knowledge made our trip so enjoyable. Our food was expertly cooked by Albert, who seemingly effortlessly prepared new and delicious meals at every setting. Our horsemen, Nelson and Raul, worked tirelessly to make camp every afternoon and evening.

As you can see, we could go on raving about our trip. Choose Wayki and you'll feel the same!

1  Thank BenUSA105
in 25 reviews
"hiking poles"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Edgar Cordova, of Wayki Trek, and his team of cooks and horsemen led me and six others on an amazing five-day trek over the Salkantay Pass and into the rain forest, ending at Macchu Picchu. The scenery was unbelievable, the guide was engaging and extremely knowledgeable, the food was remarkable, and the equipment (tents, sleeping bags, etc) was topnotch. You need to be in pretty good physical shape to do this trek--it's steep, at high altitude, and footing is sometimes treacherous.

1  Thank kem6v
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am very glad we did the four day trek on the Salcantay Trek, as we had our gear not on our backs, but rather on the horse. It was much easier (still takes the wind out of you at 14,000 to 15,000 feet above sea level) just hiking sans the gear. If you hike the Inca Trail, you have to carry your own gear. We did bring collapse-able trekking poles, which helped with the irregularities of the trail. While there are not any pavings or Inca artifacts to see, it was a beautiful trek and I am glad we got to see Muchu Picchu this way. Do not forget to plan these trips about 6 months in advance or you may not get the permits needed. Our guide, Roxner with Wayki Trek was a Wonderful guide and the tour company handled Everything very well. Our camping meals were restaurant worthy; I even had Great vegetarian options.

I took Diamox (for altitude sickness prevention - everyone is different, but if you get sick, it can STOP the trip for you) & I drank the coca tea, but my friend just drank the tea and was fine. They do not sell Diamox in Peru, so take it with you (also comes generic). You can also chew the coca leaves for a little extra help, which I did one day, as I had a slight headache. No headache after chewing the leaves for about 15 minutes. The tea tastes great (like green tea) and has less of a buzz than coffee.

Everyone with Wayki Trek really focused on making our trip as good as it could be. Use these folks, you will not regret it for a second.

2  Thank Greg_Global_Traveler
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I came from the UK and did the 4 day Inca trail with Wayki Trek. Our guide was Edgar and he was amazing. Lovely guy very knowledgable and as we were younger and fitter than many on the trail allowed us to do the route at our pace which was great.

Wayki were very well organised throughout the process with itineraries, drivers etc all ready and waiting before we asked for anything. The food was excellent as was the medical care for those of us that had been in the jungle a little too long!

Overall a great company with lovely friendly people that I'd highly recommend.

1  Thank DuncanAlistair