“Great mind opening experience”

Etnikas Ayahuasca Retreats
Ranked #40 of 878 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Our ayahuasca retreats have been developed with both Andes Qero and Amazonian Shipibo Shaman. They come from families with traditions of shamanism, using centuries-old traditions and techniques. The retreat is run in a traditional manner extending from the way the plant medicine is prepared to the ancient knowledge and customs of the Shipibo and Qero cultures.The traditional base of the retreat is tempered with modern medical practices to ensure our guest safety and allow them to assimilate the experience in the best way possible. The retreat include two ayahuasca ceremonies. Etnikas has a multi-disciplinary health team consisting of a Cardiologist, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, General Practitioner, Emergency nurse who complement the highly experienced native Andean and Amazonian shaman. A Doctor is on site 24 hours a day during retreats with access to a full range of state of the art emergency medical equipment. We have been operating for over 30 years (much longer than other retreat centers) and safety has always been our top priority. We have a vast amount with over 7200 satisfied guests coming to our center. Trip advisor have granted us the ‘certificate of excellence’ for the last 4 years consecutively (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) with over 200 five star reviews.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Zurich, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great mind opening experience”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We spontaneously booked a 1day Ayuasca Ceremony (which was held together with the 3day retreat).
The setup was very professional though very welcoming and open hearted. Joanna and the shamans made this journey as comfortable and safe as possible. Since Etnikas bring together the shamans of the Andes with those of the jungle you get the best of both worlds.
We never felt alone during the entire process (especially when it comes to the hard bit)...

If you think of trying Ayuhasca and do not have the opportunity to do it in th jungle directly then Etnikas is definitely a recomomendation.

• Finnish first
Portland, Oregon, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One of the greatest experiences of my life”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

It's been some time now since I did my one day retreat with Sandra as our shaman. I think of my experiences that day frequently. Ayauasca is everything you expect and so much more. And in my opinion it is extremely beneficial to have a shaman to help guide you through your experience. It is also reassuring that there are assistants present during the ceremony.

Sandra is a beautiful and powerful shaman. For me, her presence allowed me to have the best experience possible. Many people get a little anxious about ayauasca. They get afraid that they will lose control and do something bad. With Sandra and the assistants present, these are irrational fears. Be the brave hero in the story of your life, learn from all sources, including Peruvian plants and attractive shamans. You will have a better life for it. I mean that for everyone, anyone. (As long as you are not on an MAOI inhibitor. Watch out for that.)

Visited June 2012
Sydney, Australia
“An incredible journey, a beautiful experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I participated in the 3 day ´dancing with heaven and earth´ retreat, and the experience every step of the way was a delight. Everyone involved were just wonderful - Sandra and Tedy in the office were so very passionate, kind and incredibly friendly, but also very professional, and full of information. Our ceremonies assistant was amazing - passionate, kind, understanding and very loving - the experience was truly enriched by her presence. Our Shaman was great also- geniune, incredibly knowledgeable and had a great sense of humour. He put his all into each ceremony - his songs, his kind words made the experience all the more special.
All in all, i feel so blessed to be part of something so special, and so genuine. While everyones experiences in our group were completely different, i can all safely say we were changed for the better for this retreat - the feelings of connectedness and love would not have been nearly so strong, i truly beleive, but for the wonderful people at etnikas and thier creation of such as safe, loving and comfortable environment which enabled us to embark on such a journey of mind and heart.

Jersey City, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ofrenda...”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our Shaman was excellent, however our medium/translator/guide was aggressive and appeared to have her own agenda, I feel the guide relationship is detrimental to your experience, you are at the mercy of the translation and energy of a third party…

The coca reading and offerings to Pachamama are worth the trip ($250 ea, I believe) the price seems a bit steep but it was a one on one reading, that is just based on luck and volume on the given day...

Visited November 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

5 Thank JosephMajestic
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mind open, heart open”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My fascination with the ancient medicine Ayahuasca started long before I got to South America. I understood it was not for the faint hearted and therefore decided to not seek it out. If an opportunity to participate in the sacred ceremony presented itself and it felt right then I would see where it lead me. After a series of comical mixups and a yoga retreat that never happened, my friend and I found ourselves in the Etnika office.

We were greeted by Teddy who was both professional and passionate. There was no marketing or pressure, just the facts about an Ayahuasca retreat. There was no doubt in my mind that the time and place was now.

Less than 24 hours later our journey began in the tranquil and healing space where the retreat took place. The shamans we were working with were humble, kind and immediately put me at ease. The coca leaf reading and the offering to Pachama were both beautiful and surreal. I felt very privileged to be a part of something so traditional and sacred.

As night came, I felt prepared and excited for the unknown. Annnnnd there was a fair dose of nervousness! The Ayahuasca ceremony isn't pretty but the childlike wonder, joy, liberty and clarity I experienced blew my mind. I have never felt so connected, calm, safe and loved.

The next morning we made the decision to extend our stay. After a day of noble silence and contemplation I was ready to go deeper. For me, this is where the real cleansing and purification took place. Again it wasn't all pretty and there was some deep seeded pain brought to meet me but this is what I came for.

I left with profound gratitude for Pachamama herself, the Shamans and Teddy for holding the space to allow such sacred healings to take place.

I highly recommend Etnikas and the team and won't hesitate to take another journey when the time is right.

2 Thank Ezzie G