“Cant agree more with prior negative reviews”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #7 of 163 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Camarillo, California
“Cant agree more with prior negative reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I regret having looked at this hotel's reviews too late. My husband and I have been staying in the Cusco area for 10 days and this is now or second stay and 4th room @ the Marriott. This is definitely not Marriott service nor standards. The front desk staff needs people skills and training. I couldn't agree more with the fellow who brought up Jim's (@ the front desk) attitude. He humiliated my husband and I while suggesting that we would walk out without paying for a meal. We had checked out the night before as we.were leaving early for Machu Picchu. We mentioned that we had made 2 meals at their awful restaurant and the person who checked us out said that they were included in the bill. Jim simply does NOT listen (as the previous reviewer, a platinum rewards member stated). Took us 20 min of explanations while a cab waited for us outside so we paid for the meal at the risk of paying twice for an awful meal. Today we got an apology from another staff member about the incident. Not enough!! The hotel has a good location, but thats about it. As another reviewer states, it is loud from street noise or visitors in d courtyard and the rooms are too small for the price. Most of these issues could be ignored if the staff were warm, attentive and supportive. But aside grom Giorgio, they all need training. I've seen some of the responses posted from the manager to negative reviews and believe that the responses are a "cookie cut" response and not an indication that management even cares. Adios for good JW Marriott in Cusco.

5 Thank Carmen L
Hiromi H, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Please accept my appreciation for the feedback share con the Trip Advisor website. I consider our guest’s comments as honest criteria to improve our service.

I feel really sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations and I would to let you know that we have already taken care of the situation and made an action so this type of incidents never repeats.

Regarding the room comments; one of the main avenues in city is under renovation increasing the traffic in the area. Police officers are deflecting traffic over the Hotel’s street but we hope those works to be over soon.

Please if there is something else that we can assist you in, do not hesitate to contact me.

Cordially yours,

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had hiked with a friend for a week and was exhausted upon our arrival. It was also my 40th birthday so upon arrival, the hotel had arranged for flowers, sparkling wine, cake and various cheeses. I walked into my room and then staff then came by and sang happy birthday.

I was so overwhelmed by the kindness.

Everything about the hotel is great and I wish I had stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Greetings from the JW Marriott Cusco.

Hereby, I would like to extend you my gratitude for sharing with us your review about your stay in our property through the Trip Advisor Website.

It is a real honor that you chose our property as a place to stay during your vacations and especially for that special moment that was your 40th birthday. I am pleased you really liked the details we prepared for you, definitely are small details that make a great experience.

I am glad to know you felt overwhelmed with the kindness of our associates; our goal is to create memories in our guests’ life.

If you are thinking to come back in the future, please feel free to contact me directly, will be a pleasure assist you

Have a great day,

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We loved this hotel! Whomever designed it did an amazing job. There is an incredible attention to detail. We did the hotel tour of the building and it was extremely interesting as to what they found while reconstructing the convent. It has a very authentic feel to it and fits in perfectly with the surroundings in Cuzco. The location is great - within walking distance to everything we wanted to do.

The staff could not have been better. They were so friendly and efficient. I would compare them to the staff when we have stayed at Ritz Carlton hotels and I typically view Ritz Carltons as having the best service of any hotel chain where we have stayed. My only minor complaint is that I had called in advance and asked the concierge to make dinner reservations for us. I was told it would be done, but when we arrived I realized the reservation had not been made and we weren't able to go to the restaurant because they were completely booked. Not a huge deal, because we were able to go to another awesome restaurant instead. I would recommend in the future that the concierge email the customer if such a request was made to confirm it, as I have experienced at other hotels.

The bathrooms were a little on the small side, but not unexpected for a "city" hotel. The shower pressure was amazing and the toilets were the best we experienced in Peru.

Overall, this is a fantastic property and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to stay here!

Appreciate guest,

On behalf of the JW Marriott Cusco associates, accept my most sincere gratitude for taking the time to write your valuable comment about your stay in the JW Marriott Cusco trough the Trip Advisor website.

My staff and I feel really proud of the legacy we guard in the property as you mention this is a former San Augustine’s Convent that after a long restoration process became the JW Marriott Cusco, it is a really unique Hotel located in the heart of Cusco. Definitely this is a gem in this city for the invaluable history this retains, the same as you mention we share every day with all guest and visitors in the hotel tour at 18:00 totally free of charge, in which we explain the history of the Convent and show the 2 exhibition areas showcasing the pre-Inca, Inca and Colonial civilization vestiges we have.

Such an honor you compare our service with the Ritz Carlton, definitely both brands have very high standard but our Cusquenian charming is the difference between them. I regret very much the inconvenience you went through, sincerely your valuable comment help us for our improvement, please be sure we are going to apply the recommendation you gave us, thank you very much for extending this.

I hope we can welcome you back at the JW Marriott Cusco so your can keep on discovering the history of this enigmatic city.

Cordially yours,

Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I can't say enough about the loveliness of this hotel and it's staff. From the moment you see the entrance it takes your breath away! The amount of effort that has gone into preserving the site this building is built on is just incredible!! The rooms are quite spacious and turned out perfectly. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in and had high quality, high thread count bedding. A beautiful marble clad bathroom with large Jacuzzi tub and a separate shower - with a rainhead. Our room was very quiet - which is a big deal for me. The breakfast buffet is probably the best ever!!! Tons of fresh fruit, made to order eggs cooked by an adorable chef, plenty of breads, cheeses, meats, croissants, muffins, cereals, AND hot dishes. Everyone at the hotel has a smile on their face and is ready to jump to your service. I loved that they readily hand out complimentary water bottles. We stayed here for 5 nights and loved every minute of it. The location is perfect - being just one block away from the main Plaza. Can't wait to return to this beautiful, peaceful oasis in Cusco!!

Room Tip: Our friends had a room on the street - and it's a very busy one!! They said the noise was a bit...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Appreciated guest,

Greetings from JW Marriott Cusco, for us it is a real pleasure to read the beautiful comment that you kindly share with us through the Trip Advisor website.

Sincerely I appreciate very much that you had taken a moment of your valuable time in order to dedicate this paragraph to describe the unforgettable experience you went through in our property.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and even more than you were able to be delighted by our beautiful architecture of the San Augustine’s Convent that after a long and hard restoration process became the JW Marriott, in which we have an invaluable historical legacy the same we share with all guests and visitors in the hotel tour we offer without charge.

It really flatters me to read you enjoy our delicious breakfast buffet as you mention , the guestroom that we carefully prepare to receive our guest but moreover our professional and accommodating service.

Thank you very much one more for your review and I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If you would think we should improve in any specific issue of our products or services, please feel free to contact me. In order to find the best way to always reach our guests needs, and the excellence in the service.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

A lovely hotel, hidden away from the hustle and bustle yet very close to the central plaza area. We stayed in a very nice suite for our final two nights in Cusco. Staff were very attentive and friendly and keen to check all our needs were being met. We even had our blood pressure checked by the hotel paramedic. Breakfast was made up of a good selection of items. There were lots of areas to relax in the bar area and outside seating area was particularly nice. The only disappointment was when we went down to the pool area to find minutes before we arrived the jacuzzi had been drained and was undergoing a repair. Had we know that we would have chosen a different time to do this.

Dear Guest,

Let me express my appreciation for sharing your review through the Trip Advisor website and for choosing the JW Marriott for your staying in the city of Cusco. . I am sure that our future guests will be inspired by your review.

Our property, clearly well located was built on the foundations of the convent of the Augustinian, our goal was to preserve its unique structure combined with the JW Marriott elegance and comfort.

Thank you very much for your kind words and for mentioning our friendly and attentive staff; this is definitely one of the things I feel proud the most. Every day they take care about all details in order to do your stay as pleasant as possible, they are doing a great job.

I am very proud to have our loss prevention staff who are committed to caring for the integrity of our guests, I am pleased to know they took care about you also hope that you have recovered. Your comment definitely encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you.

I feel happy to read you enjoyed our buffet breakfast, which has a great selection of Peruvian and international products, also as you mention all our public areas were thinking to look for relax and tranquility.

On the other hand, please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you have experimented in the spa, I am going to take notes about that in order this kind of inconveniences will not happen in the future with other guest.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again at the JW Marriott Cusco.
If I can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had two stays, before and after our trip to Machu Picchu. We were on a half-board package at a super price. On our first stay, the reception worked well and we were very impressed with the upgraded balcony room we were given. Only one item on the a la carte menu was excluded so we ate some great meals. Breakfast was extensive. The staff were so pleasant and friendly and had a worrying ability to remember names. Our second visit was not quite so smooth, a long wait in the rather chilly reception area and the need to see several rooms before a satisfactory one was produced (windows do not open even though the balcony door did!!). But the quality of dinner and the staff compensated.
A small sour note is that they agree a dollar rate and then refuse to charge in dollars, using a rate that is a few percent in their favour. Why do they do this in a five star hotel?
Thoroughly recommend hotel, one of the best around.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Appreciate guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your valuable comment trough the Trip Advisor website.

Hereby, please I would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco as a destination for your stay in our city.

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and dinner and more over that you appreciated the genuine and kind service of our staff, I feel very proud each of our associates who are committed to provide an excellent service ever they are really good Marriott Ambassadors.

I am deeply sorry about the inconveniences you went through in your second stay, definitely is not the memory we wish our guest takes with them specially of an important guest as you, our goal is to achieve the overall guest satisfaction and if we have to improve some process, we will do, thank you very much for extend us your feedback that definitely is a tool for our improvement.

It will be a pleasure to receive you back again in our property in order to keep providing the service you deserve and expect.

Clovis, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Central location , impeccable service , thoughtful staff, excellent rooms and good food . What more can you ask? We arrived after long tiring flights and were happy reach the hotel. Check in swift and courteous, rooms well appointed and the internet is indeed high speed.

Room Tip: At that altitude any room is good and cozy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Warmest regards from the JW Marriott Cusco, I would like to extend you my gratitude for choosing our property as a place to stay in this wonderful city and also for sharing with us your comments through the Trip Advisor Website.

I am really flattered that really enjoyed you stay with us and that you found our service as IMPECCABLE, certainly our goal is to create unforgettable memories to our guest and take care of every single detail you may need from arrival to departure.

I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share again with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the luxury of JW Marriott Cusco.