“Wonderful atmosphere, incredible staff and service”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #7 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Beverly Hills, California
“Wonderful atmosphere, incredible staff and service”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and went on an 8.5 month trip around the world and Cusco was our last stop. Of the many hotels we stayed in, JW Marriott was among the best. We stayed in a classic Inca room on the third floor with street view for two weeks. The lobby, bar, and restaurant have a wonderful atmosphere – we loved the traditional design mixed with modern touches and beautiful fresh flowers everywhere. The room and bathroom were average size, but the furnishings were very nice and the toiletries were awesome (ylang ylang and rosemary scented shampoo, conditioner, and lotion). The bed was very comfortable and we liked the big TV. The rooms have 110 and 220 plugs as well as adapters. The only suggestion for improvement is to change the in-room wi fi to secure. The location is awesome – the hotel is right in the heart of Cusco. We had a package that included breakfast and dinner. The breakfast buffet was one of the best we’ve had on our trip. The dinner menu had interesting options and everything was tasty, but many items were a bit rich for my preference – lots of creamy and cheesy sauces (but my husband loved the rich food). I imagine if I had asked, they would have cooked something lighter. The service was incredible! Here are some examples: at check in we asked for a water kettle, and even though the rooms have a one-cup coffee maker, the staff brought us a kettle the next day. One day at breakfast we mentioned to the dining room supervisor that we were heading out for a Sacred Valley tour. He brought us a bag to fill with pastries and breads to bring for a snack. We’d like to compliment some of the staff who stood out (although most were extremely friendly and helpful): Fernando at the front desk, Manuel in the restaurant (breakfast), and Perla in the restaurant (dinner) (when I told Perla that I speak some Spanish, she encouraged me to converse in Spanish and was patient in helping when I got stuck.). I am not too into hotel chains, but JW Marriott stood out and I will definitely consider their hotels for future travel plans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time you have taken and leave your comments on the Tripadvisor website sharing your opinion not only help us, also allows readers to know your experience and recommendations thereby they have a better idea of our services.

I feel honored to know that you consider us among the best hotel you have stayed during your long trip! I am glad you liked the hotel common areas, its design and decoration where we tried to keep colonial atmosphere blended with JW Marriott style and details like beautiful fresh flowers for example. Our comfortable rooms, its amenities and devices were thought to provide all what is necessary to delight our guests and I am glad you could enjoy and use.

It is good to know that you took one of our packages allowing you to enjoy our delicious food, thank you for your recommendation regarding dinner menu I will transmit them to our Chef; and for sure we would have prepared something special for you, because there is nothing more important for us than guests complete satisfaction.

Above all what makes me really happy is when our service and associates (staff) are praised, I have congratulate them for their excellent development in order to give you an unforgettable experience.

Finally I would like to thank you for your preference and that now you consider Marriott as your option where to stay anywhere in the world. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in this beautiful Inca city.

Sincerely yours,

JW Marriott Hotel Cusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at this hotel. Staff was wonderful. You must take a tour of the building to get a deeper understanding of the history. Don't miss the Spa and pool area too. The best Showers I've seen in a Marriott.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I feel glad for the positive comments you left on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to know that you had a fantastic stay with us and the the staff gave you a wonderful service showing you how important you are for us.

I am glad that you took some time to take the hotel evening tour and know more about our historical past and about the Pre-Inca and Inca remains found during excavations.

It is good to know that you could enjoy the spa and have time to pamper yourself.

I would like to thank once again your feedback I truly hope you and your couple can come back soon.

Best Regards,

JW Marriott Cusco
Fullerton, California
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I had the luxury of staying here for two nights in cusco. This hotel is beautiful. The lobby, bar, restaurant, pool, rooms... Amazing. I only had two comments of potential improvement:
1) it would be great if they would advertise the location of the pool or ice machines on each floor. Since the hotel is built around a courtyard, I had walked around the entire second floor trying to find the pool, since there was no direction. Then the same thing happened to me trying to find the ice machine. It's not a big deal, but it's a little embarrassing walking around an entire floor in my pajamas trying to find ice.
2) if they could put a small gym at the hotel, it would be fantastic. They have an area underground that has a small 'exhibit' and a weird rock formation. I love embracing culture, but with so many amazing museums around town, this space could be utilized as a gym!

I love, love, LOVE this hotel. I'd come back in a heartbeat.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your valuable feedback trough Tripadvisor, it is so important for us to know your perception about our services.

I appreciate your kind words about the hotel I am really glad that you enjoyed our facilities and services. Regarding your two comments first of all I would like to express my gratitude for your concern for our improvement, so about for first comment I am sorry for the nuisance that the lack of signs caused you, rest assure that we will consider placing more signage around the rooms corridors.

Regarding the gym we will keep that in mind, but we cannot open a gym in that exhibition room because it is and intangible area that hosts Pre-Inca remains found during the construction so in consequence it belongs to Peruvian heritage, but thank you very much for your idea.

I am thrilled to know that you loved, loved the hotel! And for sure it will be a real pleasure to have you back at the hotel to delight you once again with a fantastic stay! Please let us know in anything we can help you with.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We could honestly not fault any part of our stay. The service, food and amenities were all first class. The hotel is simply stunning, with the design reflecting the rich history of Cusco. The location is also fantastic, just a short walk from Plaza de Armas. Thank you for making our stay in this beautiful city so memorable!

• Stayed October 2013
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate a lot the comments you left on the Tripadvisor website, it is very important for us to monitor our guests satisfaction.

First of all I would like to thank your preference allowing us to delight you with a memorable experience.

I really appreciate your opinion considering our service and product as first class, that is what we want to give: the best for the best guests because you are the most important pillar to continue in this business.

I am glad you liked our style, decoration and fantastic location.

I hope you can come back to Cusco in another opportunity and stay with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel is not only historical (and has tours of the grounds everyday at 6pm with Blake), but is also the nicest hotel with the most upscale facilities in all of Cusco. The location is exceptional (right next to the Plaza de Armas) and the spa area cannot be beat. Breakfast had a wide variety of remarkable food (American and Peruvian), delicious fresh pastries and fruit, and included an egg station. The service was outstanding and the staff was extremely attentive. In fact, I liked this hotel so much, I booked it for an additional stay and again when I returned to Cusco a month later. It is a little pricey for Cusco, but WELL worth the money spent!

2 Thank Rachael M
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing to all the Tripadvisor readers your experience during your stay with us.

Thank you for appreciating our historical past, as the 6 pm tour explains, we are located in the formers Agustines’ Convent from XVI century but also during the excavations we were surprised when we found Inca and Pre-Inca remains that where hidden! And now we feel so proud to host such an important piece of history.

Our location is exceptional being close to all the tourist attractions, stores, museums, etc. About the spa I am glad you could enjoy it, it is an oasis!. Breakfast is unbeatable too, we use the best products with options for everyone. What makes me even happier are your kind words about the service, the staff did an amazing job once again!

I value a lot your comments, you will be warmly welcome any time you come back to this beautiful city and for us will be a pleasure to serve you.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the JW in Cusco as part of a family visit this pas
t summer. This property is a remarkable combination of historic authenticity and modern facilities in a very central location. Suffice to say, if you are a former backpacker looking to rediscover student days in a little more comfort than heretofore, then the JW overshoots the mark by some way. On the other hand if you are looking for a great base to explore all the wonders that Cusco has to offer, with sufficient creature comforts to ensure the family greets each day in good shape and with a full stomach (the breakfasts are amazing - particularly important for kids).

Beyond the comfortable rooms, 2 other features stand out; the pool, whilst small, combined with the sauna/ steamroom, are a real luxury at the end of a hard day's sightseeing; second, the lobby area is a great hangout zone (free wifi) that let's you relax without being a hermit in your room

Definitely recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback letting us know your opinion which is an invaluable tool in order to reach guests satisfaction.

I am glad that you and your family really enjoyed your stay with us, that our hotel exceeded your expectations regarding comfort, facilities and location. As you said our breakfast is amazing, it is varied, large and nutritious which is very important to start the day with energy especially for kids.

It is good to know that you could rest and relax not only in your room but also in our spa allowing you to pamper yourself after a day of tours and also hanging out at the lobby area while using our free wireless internet access.

We look forward to welcome you and your family back in the near future so that you can continue discovering Cusco and enjoying JW Marriott Cusco services.

Sincerely yours,

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I can't say enough about this property. My wife and I have traveled all around the world and stayed at some very nice hotels, Marriott and other, and this is about the nicest we've stayed. The public spaces (lobby, bar, restaurant etc.) are absolutely stunning. The service at the desk is first class. Bar service wasn't great but it was ok. Food at the restaurant was fantastic, some of the best we had in Peru. There was one person that really made a difference from a service perspective, Perla, in the restaurant. So friendly and helpful. She offered the best and most personal service of anyone we encountered our entire trip. Thank you Perla!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments about your stay with us, it is important and gratifying for us knowing your opinion about our services.

I feel honored about your comments, being you and your wife continuous travelers around the world I appreciate a lot that you consider us the nicest hotel you have stayed! This is truly a beautiful hotel where the past and the JW Marriott elegance combine perfectly.

I am so glad that the service at front desk was perfect according to what you deserve but I am sorry that bar service was only ok we will take the necessary measures to make it perfect too! I am glad you enjoyed our food and specially Perla’s service, rest assured that I will extend her my congratulations for such a wonderful and professional service she provided you.

I truly hope you and your wife can come back soon, here at JW Marriott Cusco will welcome you with open arms.