“Nice Stay at JW Marriott Hotel Cusco”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Stay at JW Marriott Hotel Cusco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Female spent last three nights of amazing solo trip at the Cusco Marriott in May 2013.

Service:
Everyone was very attentive to my questions and were helpful. There is a scheduled tour of the property at 6:00 PM. I was the only person to show up that night and Kevi was awesome sharing the history of the area and the construction of the hotel. Lobby assisted me in printing boarding pass. Room was cleaned promptly.

Food:
Did not have an appetite while in SV/Cusco and did not eat in the hotel. There is cocoa tea/coffee/hot water/apples in the lobby. I brought breakfast bars with me and had to force myself to eat them and keep hydrated.

Room:
After spending a few days in the Sacred Valley it was nice to have a tub to soak my aching body. No complaints about the room which was located on second floor with a roof review. My trip to the area was to explore the surrounding areas and not spend much time in the room/hotel. Standard JW Marriott room with comfortable bed. Slept like a log. Free bottled water/coffee maker/frig/robe/slippers/bath salts.

Pool/Sauna:
Toured the area but never went back. It was very hot in this area and I chose to soak in my private room tub. Did not bring a bathing suit for this trip.

Location:
Had no problems with noise and the hotel was in a perfect location for me. There are several nice restaurants within a 5 minute walk from the hotel and I felt safe walking by myself during the day and early evening. There is a Scotiabank ATM around the corner...maybe a 3 minute walk. Laundries are numerous/reasonable but did not use any. Did not use hotel tour services. There are numerous tour agencies so no worries to wait until you arrive to book something and also see how you feel. I chose an agency left of KFC on plaza but some others paid less off the plaza. Walk around and check out a few.

Transportation:
On my arrival to the Cusco airport I prearranged a driver with my SV hotel for $45 US. The driver stopped once for a beautiful photo op on the way to Ollanta and did not speak English but we managed to communicate. On the return from Ollanta/Cusco I took a motorcar for 1 sole to combi pickup near Ollanta train station, the combi for 12 soles and shared a cab with a couple from the combi for 2 soles for drop off at Marriott. Return trip was a total of 15 soles. I enjoyed the company of others on the combi and would not hesitate to use. Cabs are reasonable in Cusco. Cab back to airport was 8 soles.

Cusco Market:
It was suggested that I not go to the market by myself. Met up with a couple on the train ride from AC/Ollanta at Starbucks and walked to the market. Did not purchase anything and avoided street food. Pretty much see the same stuff everywhere.

Overall:
The Marriott Cusco met my needs and expectations. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Gussy
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your travel experience of your solo trip with us and with all the Tripadvisor readers, I really believe that feedback is a powerful tool.

I really appreciate your detailed comments about your stay with us, it is a joy to know that we could fulfill your expectations regarding service, that the staff was attentive to your requests. I would like to thank you for showing interest on our history and visit our exhibition areas in the company of Kevi that for sure did an awesome explanation.

It is a shame that you were not able to try our delicious food, but I understand your physical symptoms did not allow to do so, the same as the spa facilities that you skipped but on the other hand you could pamper yourself and relax in your own room enjoying a nice salts bath, I am glad to know too that you could have a reinvigorating sleep and use all the amenities we provide in room.

Finally it is good to know that you liked our location and that you could explore Cusco by yourself and have a kind of little travel adventure.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future to exceed your expectations and that you can completely enjoy all that JW Marriott Cusco has to offer you.

Sincerely yours,

JW Marriott Hotel Cusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived at this magnificent property for our 10 night stay, we felt welcomed, pampered and relaxed. All the elements to start a great vacation. Upon arrival we were escorted to the lounge. The check-in procedure took place there, while we enjoyed a cup of coca tea to help aleviate the altitude sickness. While the Hotel is built upon Inca Ruins, they managed to create a comfort level and sensual appeal while maintaining its original integrity. The staff was helpful, cheerful and always accommodating yet
very professional. The rooms are spacious and the incredible bathrooms have separate showers and bathtubs. The courtyard is lovely and peaceful, while the lobby and lounge envelopes you with elegance and warmth. The location of the hotel makes it a perfect starting point for your adventures. It is 2 blocks from the Plaza de Armas, which is surrounded by restaurants, museums and historic cathedrals. The Peruvian People are very warm and friendly and the tourist police are everywhere, so safety is a non issue. We will definitely return and encourage anyone thinking about travel to Peru to come to Cusco to enjoy the city while treating yourself to the luxury and warmth of the JW Marriott, Cusco.

Room Tip: Some rooms are below street level while retaining all the amenities
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience during your stay with us.

I am extremely glad to know that your whole 10 day-stay was superb, since you arrived you could feel the staff warmth making you feel special coddling you with coca tea in the lobby. Thank you for highlighting our historical beauty because of the Pre-Inca, Inca and Colonial remains we are proud to host.

Our rooms as you said have separate showers and bathtubs giving more comfort to the guests, our huge courtyard takes you back to the peaceful Augustin Convent. Our location is central being very close to main attractions.

Thank you very much for your kind words to describe Peruvian people and our staff that is eager to bring an extraordinary experience.

I appreciate you recommend us, I am sure your friends and the Tripadvisor followers would like to come and visit Cusco and stay at JW Marriott! We hope to see you and your couple back soon.

Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Best hotel ever! The staff is amazing they treated me like a vip!
The way the hotel is decorated it really fits with the cultural spirit of Cusco, it has all the amenities you expect in a 5 star hotel while retaining that cozy feeling.
I have travel all over the world and so far this is my favorite JW you won't be dissapointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katty E
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive comments on the Tripsadvisor website, it is really motivating to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thrills me a lot that you consider us the best hotel ever stayed at and your favorite JW Marriott! I cannot express how happy I feel to know that once again our staff did an amazing job! that the service you received showed how important you are for us.

I appreciate your kind words about our decoration and style, we did a thoughtful job to blend the colonial remains found with the JW Marriott design without missing the Cusco art.

It will be a truly pleasure to welcome you and your friends once again in the future, so that you can continue enjoying all that we have to offer as well as this beautiful city.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had one of the most frustrating experiences I ever had at the Marriott Cusco after I booked a 6 day package (breakfast and dinner included). I'm writing this review so you are aware of The Cusco Marriott’s bad practices.

1. At checking out, the front desk receptionist realized she over charged me and asked for my credit card (again) to refund my account. Her procedure was to cancel the first transaction and charge my credit card one more time with the correct amount. In less than 5 minutes my account was hit by two large amounts that almost depleted my available funds and I was only half way through my trip. I complained about this process of applying a refund, but she said it would only takes 2 days for me to see the refund back in my account. It took 10 days, which was after my trip had ended! I had to finish my planned trip through South America in debt.

2. Meals at restaurant were horrific, they constantly ran out of ingredients and a couple of nights in a row, not just one, the staff advised that no chicken, fish or duck were available. My friend ordered Ceviche and pasta with prawns, he got so sick that it took him two days to recover from food poisoning. The waiting time to be served at the restaurant was about 75 minutes. A couple of nights, after waiting for 90 minutes, I requested that my dinner be delivered to my room.

Unbelievable how a level 6 Marriott Hotel can offer such a poor experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank rocar21
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank the time you have taken to leave your comments on Tripadvisor website, it is very important for us to know the opinion of our guests, this allows us to identify our strengths and work on our weaknesses to achieve continuous improvement in our services.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have suffered during your stay with us and I am deeply sorry that the service we delivered was not according to your needs, sincerely I understand your frustration and I will address this matter to my leaders so incidents like these do not happen again.

I appreciate your feedback, I hope in time you can stay again with us so that we can reverse the negative perception we left on you.

Please if there is something I me assist you in the future, do not hesitate to contact me.

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Cusco Marriott is a lovely hotel built from an ancient structure with its original character well preserved. I stay frequently on business and pleasure trips to Cusco. The staff are very helpful, the food is great and the rooms well appointed. It is well located close to the Plaza de Armas and other key sights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on the Tripsadvisor website, knowing your opinion is very important and help us to screen our service.

I appreciate your kind words about the hotel, indeed we are located on the formers Agustin Convent from XVI century that is why we have colonial structures in different parts of the hotel for example the patio with its beautiful archery.

I am glad that the service you received was according to your expectations as well as the rooms and food, I hope maybe next time you can try our spa services to relax for a while.

Thank you for your preference, we look forward to have back soon in your next business trip it will be a pleasure to serve you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

There are so many positive things to say about the JW Marriott in Cusco....the elegance of the lobby, the beauty of the courtyard, the integration of historic and contemporary space, and the exceptional cuisine. However, what really sets this hotel apart is the quality of it's staff; we were treated by staff members that were stunningly kind, thoughtful, respectful, sophisticated, and poised. Rondo and Jorge were both standouts, among an entire team of remarkable hotel personnel. Look no further for an oasis in Cusco.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on the Tripadvisor website letting all the readers know your perception about our services.

I feel grateful with your review, makes me glad knowing that you only have positive things to say about the hotel and our attentive staff, for sure there are no doubts that the building itself its beautiful, finely decorated, mixing perfectly contemporary items with local touches and the colonial remains, but what makes me happier is to know the high concept you have of our staff, they are an invaluable asset to this hotel, transmitting genuine smiles and enthusiasm showig how much they care about each guest and also showing how happy they are to work here.

I will extend your appreciation to the associates mentioned; I will congratulate them for giving you a careful service as well as the cooks for the exceptional food!

We look forward to welcome you and your family in the not too distant future, we will be glad to have you back in this “oasis”.

Best Regards,

cornelius, or
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at the JWM in Cusco from 9/22-9/28. It is a beautiful property and very conveniently located to the heart of historic Cusco. The Staff at the hotel makes you feel welcome and important from the minute you register to the time you check out. We especially loved the restaurant staff and give our greatest appreciation to Perla and Caroline who really went out of their way to provide a special experience. Also thank you to Miguel the Restaurant Supervisor who went out of his way to help when one of us had altitude sickness and provided Muna tea! Everyone in this hotel goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. We were so lucky to be staying in the hotel the day they celebrated their first year anniversary - what a fun party. Be sure to take the hotel tour where you can see the remnants of Inca artifacts and walls. This property has a lot of history and the architect did an amazing job of blending the old with the new. The room was nicely appointed with all the amenities you'll need. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jewellnut
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on the Tripadvisor website, I really believe that by sharing your perception about our service we can improve it day by day.

I feel grateful with your comments, having a 6-night-stay with us allowed you to have a complete experience with us and I am excited that the staff made you feel so appreciated showing you how much we care about you and all your needs; our guests satisfaction is the main reason to do an amazing job every day and comments like yours inspire us to continue giving more of ourselves.

I will extend your appreciation to Perla, Caroline and Miguel who gave you an excellent service, I will congratulate them for giving you a great experience and nice details, things like this makes me feel proud of them and all the team I work with!

I don’t want to miss the chance to thank you for joining in such an important celebration, this first year was fill with many challenges and memorable times and we could not miss the opportunity to celebrate. Please accept also my appreciation for taking the time and go on the afternoon tour, it is gratifying to see how our guest value our historical past.

We hope you can stay back soon and delight you with a superb service from beginning to end. Thank you very much for your preference.

Best Regards,