“Wonderful Hotel, Excellent Location”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #9 of 170 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It is newly opened JW Marriot hotel in Cuzco. Lovely Hotel and very centrally located near the main square, which was at a walking distance just about two blocks away. This property itself is site to visit in Cuzco. I was informed that this was a monastery before the Hotel chain took over and converted into a very beautiful Hotel, while restoring and retaining its earlier charms. There are some Inca walls and relics in the two levels downs, which has been wonderfully persevered and showcased behind the glass, which offers wonderful glimpse, of what the structure would have been in the past. The Hotel staff took out for half n hour Hotel tour, which was interesting. The lobby offered unlimited Cocco tea, which is highly recommended while travelling at this High Altitude Area. The lobby area, was plush and warmed with wood fire at the fire place. The breakfast was good and for most of the people who checks out early to visit Machu Picchu or scared valley, the Hotel happily provides for Box breakfast at early hours. Overall a wonderful experience and great place to stay, while in Cuzco, with several local restaurants, bars, souvenir shops etc. just outside the Hotel and nearby. Infact, there is a small super market right across, for all your basic needs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. It is very important and gratifying for us to know your opinion.

I am pleased to know that our location was so convenient for you as you mention we are located in walking distance to almost everything. Thank you for mentioning our historical past, we are proud to be situated in the land that in the Inca’s Empire belonged to the Koricancha Palace and when the Spanish arrived to Cusco, different religious groups came with them, one of them were the Augustines. They started the construction of Saint Augustine Monastery on 1560. I would like to mention that we also we have 2 exhibition areas showcasing the pre-Inca, Inca and Colonial civilization vestiges. I am so glad that you could take the hotel’s tour and enjoy it.

Thank you for appreciating our effort to pamper our guests like serving coca tea, muña tea and other herbs that are available at the front desk, our cozy fireplace and the early breakfast available to go when guest have early tours.

Once again please accept my appreciation for your generous review; I hope we can welcome you back soon, it will be a pleasure to continue delighting you with an excellent service.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is certainly the spot to stay when you visit Cusco. It is newly built, but has the charm, architecture and beauty of the region and the city. Clean and comfortable rooms with all the ammenties you need. Get the breakfast package when you book, the breakfast buffet is beautiful, plentlyful, and very fresh with just about anything you want. Located just a 3 minute walk from Sol street for shopping and a couple more minutes on foot to the main square that offers everything. I visited several other nice hotels, but I thought this was the overall winner by far.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on the Trip Advisor web page I do appreciate the time you took to give us your opinion and leave us such a wonderful review.
I feel honored that you consider our hotel as the best place to stay in Cusco and be the winner for you.

I am proud to work in this property not only because of its beauty reflected in the delicate architecture but also for its history that at the Inca’s times this land belonged to the Qoricancha Palace and in the colonial was the Augustine’s convent.

I am really glad that our comfortable rooms, fine amenities and delicious breakfast have delighted you.

I hope you and your friends can visit us again, it will be a pleasure to welcome you in the historical and magical City of Cusco.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel is brand new and is centrally located. The rooms are decent. The room rate was reasonable. Service was okay. Breakfast was average. We were originally booked to stay at the Monestario Hotel, but because I am a Marriott Gold member I figured I should stay at the JW Marriott - terrible decision. Definitely choose the Monestario over the JW Marriott. The level of service is much higher, and hotel is much nicer.

The JW Marriott recommended a guided group tour of Cusco with their recommended tour company. The group tour wasn't great and after a very long afternoon of touring the tour ended at one of those tacky tourist local markets where we had to wait another 30 minutes in case the tour wanted to buy things. Literally the entire tour sat in the car not interested in going into the market - they just wanted to go back to the hotel.

Be careful when you ask for dinner recommendations in the area. They sent us to a prix-fixed restaurant where the price was $150/ person. We expected the hotel to give us the heads up that this is a fixed menu to allow us the option to find an alternative.

Also, my phone was literally stolen out of my luggage when it was being stored for the afternoon. I specifically left it in bag because it didn't work in South America. And when I looked for my phone when I was back from the tour it was gone. I travel frequently and I am overly organized and I am 100% sure it was taken while my bag were being stored. My fault for leaving it in my luggage - but seriously not okay for the phone to be stolen at the hotel. Be careful at the JW Marriott Cusco.

3  Thank kor22

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us, I very much appreciate your feedback giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. I do believe that our guest’s comments are a powerful tool to improve our service and achieve excellence.

Thank you for appreciating our location and rooms, please accept my apologies if the service deliver was not according to your needs and we could not made you feel at home. Thank you very much for your review and due to your advice and comments from other guests, now a day we are recommending another tour company.

After reviewing our data files from the storage room unfortunately we did not find your device.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

we spent last weekend and enjoy the most incredible Father's day, we enjoy the best buffet in Cusco for this special day, the best Certified Angus beef in town, the best sushi, the best ceviche, the pisco sour and the service was AAA!!, I have to congratulate Hiromi, made our stay incredible nice, also the best Chef in town Teddy, also Renzo the best!! the staff at JW Marriott Cusco is the fantastic, congratulations for all.
I have to say also, the swiming pool and spa area is superb.
Congratulations for all!! good job!! we will be back in a week!!

Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to know you enjoyed such a wonderful father’s day and please accept my appreciating for sharing this special date with us!. I am glad to know that our Gran Patio Buffet exceeded your expectations. Thank you for congratulating Hiromi, Teddy and Renzo I will extend your words of appreciation as well as mine for leaving you a memorable experience.

I hope your second stay with us had been as wonderful as first, I hope you and your family can come back soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I agree with all the other reviewers - this is a GREAT hotel. The price, is reasonable compared to other hotels (yes, it is more expensive than others, but it is that much better). There are 3 things cons i want to point out though (these are minor points, as i said, the hotel is great as any other JW marriotts):
1) the pool & jacuzzi are tiny
2) the server we got at the restaurant within the hotel was super slow and not organized (I suspect it was his first day, because he was absolutely lost as to what to do)
3) while the hotel is great and the price is reasonable, i think there are many other hotels in the area that are much cheaper while still being pretty good (for example, the Casa Andina San Blas was great! - I stayed at the JW because I had free nights with my points, but if i had to pay for the stay, i would have stayed at a slightly cheaper option).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on Trip Advisor I do appreciate the time you took to give us your opinion.

It is satisfying for me to know that you consider us as a great hotel and that you are taking the time to give us your point of view about our facilities and service. I am sorry that the spa facilities were not of your complete liking as well as the restaurant service, we are continuously training our staff giving them the confidence to execute their tasks harmoniously.

I hope you and your friends can visit us again, please feel free to contact me it will be a pleasure to welcome you in the Imperial City of Cusco and stay with us so that you can see our improvements.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our comfortable stay at JW Cusco!! The hotel is situated right outside of the Plaza de Armas and within walking distance to everything. The decor is lovely, the food and service were great. After a long day of hiking to and from the ruins, we enjoyed the steam and sauna room as well as the pool and jacuzzi. Great hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that your experience was so enjoyable and full of comfort that the décor was of your taste and that you liked our charming as well as our courteous service. Our spa as you said, is perfect after a long day of hike exploring Cusco ruins I am glad that you find the time to enjoy it.

Thank you once again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you and your husband in the future to continue discovering the history and charm of Cusco and JW Marriott.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here on points for 5 nights total at the beginning and end of our trek with Peru Path.
The hotel is nice but I wouldn't put it at JW standards. The lobby and bar are absolutely freezing as the giant front doors are wide open and the cold nights blast through bar. We were eating in the bar and I had to wear my down parka. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. Rooms are small but real estate is at a prime in Cusco. For the hotel only being open 6 months, the finish work in the rooms is surprisingly mediocre for a new hotel. Wood floor doesn't meet the bath cabinet, shower door leaks etc...

1  Thank SkiBikeNorthwest

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. It is very important for us to know your opinion and point of view.

I would like to apologize because the overall experience with us was not completely pleasant starting with the common areas where the temperature was not appropriate, also I regret that rooms where not in the conditions you expected, we are constantly working to polish those details in the building.

Thank you for highlighting our staff helpfulness and good service. I appreciate your feedback, it really help us in our constant pursue of excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future in order to reverse this negative perception.