“Best Hotel in Cusco, JW Marriott the best”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #9 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 18, 2013

we spent last weekend and enjoy the most incredible Father's day, we enjoy the best buffet in Cusco for this special day, the best Certified Angus beef in town, the best sushi, the best ceviche, the pisco sour and the service was AAA!!, I have to congratulate Hiromi, made our stay incredible nice, also the best Chef in town Teddy, also Renzo the best!! the staff at JW Marriott Cusco is the fantastic, congratulations for all.
I have to say also, the swiming pool and spa area is superb.
Congratulations for all!! good job!! we will be back in a week!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. It is very important and gratifying for us to know your opinion.

I am thrilled to know you enjoyed such a wonderful father’s day and please accept my appreciating for sharing this special date with us!. I am glad to know that our Gran Patio Buffet exceeded your expectations. Thank you for congratulating Hiromi, Teddy and Renzo I will extend your words of appreciation as well as mine for leaving you a memorable experience.

I hope your second stay with us had been as wonderful as first, I hope you and your family can come back soon.

Warm regards,

JW Marriott Cusco

Write a ReviewReviews (2,874)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I agree with all the other reviewers - this is a GREAT hotel. The price, is reasonable compared to other hotels (yes, it is more expensive than others, but it is that much better). There are 3 things cons i want to point out though (these are minor points, as i said, the hotel is great as any other JW marriotts):
1) the pool & jacuzzi are tiny
2) the server we got at the restaurant within the hotel was super slow and not organized (I suspect it was his first day, because he was absolutely lost as to what to do)
3) while the hotel is great and the price is reasonable, i think there are many other hotels in the area that are much cheaper while still being pretty good (for example, the Casa Andina San Blas was great! - I stayed at the JW because I had free nights with my points, but if i had to pay for the stay, i would have stayed at a slightly cheaper option).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on Trip Advisor I do appreciate the time you took to give us your opinion.

It is satisfying for me to know that you consider us as a great hotel and that you are taking the time to give us your point of view about our facilities and service. I am sorry that the spa facilities were not of your complete liking as well as the restaurant service, we are continuously training our staff giving them the confidence to execute their tasks harmoniously.

I hope you and your friends can visit us again, please feel free to contact me it will be a pleasure to welcome you in the Imperial City of Cusco and stay with us so that you can see our improvements.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our comfortable stay at JW Cusco!! The hotel is situated right outside of the Plaza de Armas and within walking distance to everything. The decor is lovely, the food and service were great. After a long day of hiking to and from the ruins, we enjoyed the steam and sauna room as well as the pool and jacuzzi. Great hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us, I very much appreciate your feedback giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.

I am pleased to know that your experience was so enjoyable and full of comfort that the décor was of your taste and that you liked our charming as well as our courteous service. Our spa as you said, is perfect after a long day of hike exploring Cusco ruins I am glad that you find the time to enjoy it.

Thank you once again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you and your husband in the future to continue discovering the history and charm of Cusco and JW Marriott.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here on points for 5 nights total at the beginning and end of our trek with Peru Path.
The hotel is nice but I wouldn't put it at JW standards. The lobby and bar are absolutely freezing as the giant front doors are wide open and the cold nights blast through bar. We were eating in the bar and I had to wear my down parka. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. Rooms are small but real estate is at a prime in Cusco. For the hotel only being open 6 months, the finish work in the rooms is surprisingly mediocre for a new hotel. Wood floor doesn't meet the bath cabinet, shower door leaks etc...

1  Thank SkiBikeNorthwest

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. It is very important for us to know your opinion and point of view.

I would like to apologize because the overall experience with us was not completely pleasant starting with the common areas where the temperature was not appropriate, also I regret that rooms where not in the conditions you expected, we are constantly working to polish those details in the building.

Thank you for highlighting our staff helpfulness and good service. I appreciate your feedback, it really help us in our constant pursue of excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future in order to reverse this negative perception.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel located in the city of Cusco. It used to be a monastery, the decor is very nice. Service is ok. It is also very well located, near the Plaza de Armas, walking distance to mayor attractions and restaurants. The only bad thing I could say about this hotel is that the rooms are small. Bathrooms are compact, I could barely fit in the shower. For the price they charge, I can not believe they do not include breakfast and internet, you have to pay extra for those.

Overall, I think is a very good hotel. I would recommend it.

Dear guest,

I am glad to know that you liked our decoration, location and our service. I feel sorry that our in room facilities did not fulfill your expectations but I do appreciate you still recommend us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services, they serve us an invaluable tool to improve in search of the excellence.

We hope to welcome you and your family in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked this new hotel for a 5 night stay. This one time monastery is now an elegant Marriott hotel. There is a passageway underground (floor -1) with a TV running all the time that explains the history of the site, and there are some displays showing archeological findings. The hotel also has a historical tour at 6pm (I believe every evening). Now the Good, the Bad, and the Strange.
The Good:
Great location in the center of the old town.
Elegant entrance, lobby area (which includes dining room & bar), and courtyard area. The staff is genuinely kind and gracious. They are mostly a young staff and could use more training, but they are eager to please and do the best that they know how. The hotel security is also a paramedic and comes to your room to give you oxygen if you don't feel well. The oxygen instantly cured a bad headache our son was experiencing due to the altitude. There is an empty refrigerator in each room for personal use. Rooms have wood floors for easy mopping, and housekeeping does a great job. Of course, there are the standard robes and slippers, expensive laundry service, and room service. Good food and drinks at the restaurant and bar, with excellent service at both. But they are pricey compared to other good restaurants and bars in Cusco so they are not very busy. If you have elite status with Marriott, you have free internet in the room. Everyone has free WiFi in the common areas for 4 hrs a day. There is a spa with a great shower, steam room and sauna.
The Bad:
The sheets are flannel!! Not even a good quality flannel, but the kind that has pills all over it. These sheets were rough and scratchy. All the pillows were a cheap kind of fiberfill (no feather pillows).  The mattresses were quite hard. Generally not a comfortable bed.
Since this is a category 6 Marriott property, and has only been opened for 8 months, we expected much nicer bathrooms. The tubs are small and narrow and the shower box is ordinary. The spa has a great shower (sprays from every angle) and this is what should be in all the rooms.
The woman the runs the spa does not refill the  juice pitcher. The spa is also not very busy, but when the juice pitcher runs out she just says, "There's no more juice". Really? No more juice at the JW Marriott hotel?
The Strange:
The deepest end of the pool is 3ft 11in. No kidding! The Jacuzzi is also ridiculously shallow. When an average size person sits in this Jacuzzi it is only about waist deep. It seems these were designed for the average height of a true blood Cusco local, and they did not take into consideration the people that would actually be staying at this hotel. My husband is 6'5' so it was really funny for him!  If you do not have Elite status you must pay for the internet in the room by MB's (1 MB $10, 3MB $22).
Knowing all that I know, I would recommend staying at this hotel. I think they just need some fine tuning. If the manager reads the reviews he should start working on improving some of the problems that exist. Most are quick fixes that would make lots of people much happier with their stays.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room facing the Courtyard, preferably one with a door. We booked one of these rooms...
2  Thank x-well-traveled

Dear guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to leave your comments on Trip Advisor, your opinion is an important tool that allows us to improve different aspects not only in the service but also on the product we want to give.

Please allow me to answer some of the aspects of your review. I would like to start thanking you for appreciating our historical side; we are settled in the former Augustines Convent but during excavations we found Pre-Inca and Inca vestiges that now are being exhibited in two exhibition rooms.

Thank you for appreciating our good taste in decoration, the staff service with local charm, they always give their best trying to learn on each guest interaction, form our side we keep training them showing them the tools they have to be the best in their position. Our security team is formed by well skilled professionals; prepared to save lives if necessary, please accept my appreciation for standing out our housekeeping job as well as service provided at restaurant.

I apologize for the lack of comfort of our beds and bedding, we are planning to change them soon and also I feel sorry that the bathroom was not of your liking. Concerning the spa service I am deeply sorry if the service was not given correctly and in accordance to our standards we have taken action so this kind of incident do not happened again.

Regarding the spa facilities, I would like to explain that in the spa we have a relaxation heated pool to distend and relax, it is not for long swim or diving, the whirlpool is small because it was designed as a cozy space.

Finally I would like to thank you once again for sharing your opinion and point of view I believe that feedback is a great tool to achieve excellence. I hope you and your family can honor us with your visit again and see our improvements.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

First, I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year. This hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. The property, the service and the rooms were exceptional. There was a beautiful energy in the place and displayed by the staff. Luis, Milagros and Hiromi deserve specific mention.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank jtciii

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on the Trip Advisor I do appreciate the time you took to give us your opinion.

It is an honor to know that a traveler like you who spends many nights a year staying in hotels consider us as one of the best you have ever stayed in, that our service and facilities have exceeded your expectations, our daily objective is to transform a stay in an unforgettable experience while visiting Cusco.

Thank you for mentioning our associates Luis, Milagros and Hiromi, I have extended them your words of appreciation in the same way I have congratulated them.

We hope you can visit us again it will be a pleasure to welcome you again in the Imperial City of Cusco.

Cordially yours,