“Fabulous!”

Ranked #7 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel is lovely! From the minute you walk in there is warm tea to greet you along with a friendly staff that makes you feel at home. The place is super clean and the beds are heaven. The Spa is a nice place to go and relax at the end of a crazy cusco day. Any problem that did arise the staff would fix with in minutes with a smile on their face. I would highly recommend everyone stays here. If you don't stay here at least come have dinner and check our the amazing restaurant

• Stayed May 2013
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us, we very much appreciate your feedback and thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our service.

I felt so pleased when I read your comments; certainly that make me feel extremely proud of my staff, they are always giving their best and I am happy they made you feel at home showing you a sincere smile. The spa is the best spot to relax after a long day in Cusco and our comfortable beds are a refuge to end up the day.

We look forward to welcoming you soon so that you can continue enjoying the ancient city of Cusco.

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, the staff extremely friendly, the breakfast sumptuous and delicious, the rooms nice and practical. Not a bad word about this hotel. Is is built on the grounds and ruins of an old convent and the atmosphere is welcoming and serene. Simply had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the "wall" rooms at any cost, I was not in one but wouldn't stay in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about the hotel through Tripadvisor, your opinion is really invaluable for us.

I am deeply pleased that you liked the hotel and the rooms, that you enjoyed our varied buffet breakfast and value the friendliness of our staff. Thank you very much for appreciating the hotel’s heritage as you mentioned we are located in the former Covent of the Augustines but also I would like to mention you that during Inca’s time this land was part of Koricancha one of the most important and venerated temples in Cusco.

We hope to have you and your friends back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This might have been my favorite hotel yet. We travel frequently and this exceded all expectations. Stay here. It will be worth it. The staff was friendly and accomidating and over all just awesome. Miguel Angel went out of his was too show us non-touristy spots and excellent advice regarding the area (manager if your reading this, he deserves a raise). In a great area of town just far enough away to be out of the noise but just down the street from the central square. Only down side (why the Spa was 4) was that the jacuzzi was out of service during our stay.

We were upgraded to the second highest room level as a platnium level member and the room was beautiful. It had a balcony over looking the courtyard and all the necessary comforts. We had a complimentary turn down service with a different goodie every night and a bottle of wine and choice of snack upon arrival. Overall the experience was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank the positive comments about our hotel left on the Trip Advisor website.

I feel so glad that we could exceed your expectations and even recommend us. Thank you very much for the kind comments of our staff, they are always trying to give their best for our guests even though it is not related to their working area, a good example is the one you mentioned about Miguel Angel and let me mention you that he has just been promoted to Restaurant Supervisor.

It is also pleasant to know that you enjoyed our location; the room assigned facing the hotel patio which has original arches of the Agustines Convent, the details given and your overall experience.

Thank you once again for your comments which are a real motivation for us day by day to continue serving our guests as they deserve.

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the center of Cusco, two blocks from the Plaza de Armas. Decor was amazing, and the staff was very helpfully from the time I walked in the door. The common areas were beautifully decorated on old world style in keeping with the city's herritige. The rooms were very nice, but mine was a little smaller. The bathroom did have a shower and a jacuzzi tub in it. Overall I was very pleased.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website.

I am pleased to know that you appreciated our convenient and centric location, the décor that was inspired in colonial century with the elegance of a JW Marriott and our staff friendliness.

I very much appreciate your feedback that is an invaluable tool in search of the excellence.
We hope to see you soon so that you can continue discovering Cusco.

Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had read earlier reviews on the JW Marriott in Cusco, Peru and was a little unsure about staying there on our recent trip to visit Machu Piccu. I decided to go for it and decide for myself. The biggest complaint I had read was that they still needed to work through some things since they were a new hotel in an old city. Well I was blown away with the beauty of the property and the amazing service we received. Everyone we encountered bent over backward to make our experience wonderful. I felt spoiled and well taken care of during our stay. Unfortunately we could not stay the full time I had planned, which was 2 nights, because United ended up cancelling our flight out of Houston to Lima, so I had to cancel the first part of our trip which entailed hiking the Inca trail to Machu Piccu. It also meant we could not spend 2 nights in Cusco, only one. And since we had so little time we ended up getting back to the hotel late and leaving for the airport in the morning (we had to get up to Iquitos for a cruise on the Amazon). However, the short time we were there was an extremely memorable and very enjoyable. Staying at this hotel was a wonderful highlight of our trip. My only regret is that we couldn't spend more time. I urge anyone that is trying to decide where to stay in Cusco to give the JW Marriott a try, at the very least go visit it while you are there, you will be blown away.

Room Tip: try to get a room that faces the courtyard
Dear Guest,

I feel so glad that you have enjoyed your stay, the service; hospitality and good care provided by our staff even though you had to change your itinerary and could not stay one more night with us.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Cusco and look forward to welcome you again so that you can enjoy the beauty of the city and hike the Inca Trail.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I would give the hotel itself five stars and the staff just one star. I was traveling with a group a friends on a road trip through Peru. When we arrived in Cusco, we divided up the group among a couple different hotels depending on people's accommodation preferences and budgets. I had some Marriott points, so a friend and I stayed at the JW.

Our friends who were staying elsewhere came by the hotel to meet us before dinner and to have a swim, and you would have thought that we were in violation of an international peace treaty. The hotel staff kept badgering us about who was staying in the room and wanted our friends to "register" as guests in the room and to pay additional money, even though we repeatedly explained that they were staying at a different hotel. The worker named Claudia was the worst offender and even went so far as to follow us down to the pool and watch us as we tried to use the facilities. This was incrediby weird and awkward and made the stay much less enjoyable, unless you enjoy being stalked.

In addition, we were under the impression that our two breakfasts were included with the room (the receipt we signed saided specifically "included"). Then, upon checkout, we were informed that we had to pay for breakfast at a cost of 68 sol person (about $54 USD total for some juice and fruit and a single egg). When we asked to see the receipt we had signed, Claudia did not want to show it to us. My friend, who is fluent in Spanish, finally got her to show us the receipt after about 15 minutes of arguing. It was clearly marked as having the price of breakfast included in the room. Finally, the staff reversed the charge, but again, the argument substantially diminished the quality of the stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer G
Dear Guest

I do appreciate the time you took to leave your comments on the Trip Advisor website, your opinion is very important for us to help us improving our service.

I am deeply sorry that the service provided by our front desk agent made your stay less enjoyable, we have procedures and worldwide security standards to accomplish in safeguarding of all our guests and that means the registration of any person who is willing to use of our facilities.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies too for the inconveniences with your bill, we have taken the necessary steps so that these incidents do not occur.

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future in order to reverse this negative perception.

Cordially yours,

Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We spent 3 nights in Cusco with a day trip on the Hiram Bingham train to Machu Picchu. The JW Marriott Cusco is a winner. The food is great and the service is excellent. Everyone went out of their way to accommodate every request and made you feel welcomed. The staff stayed in contact with our tour operators and knew our daily schedules to help us prepare for each day (clothing recommendations, which places to go to/avoid, how to time the day, etc) A staff member who was working during the breakfast shift offered to pack us a to go box of fruits and pastries because he knew the day trip to Machu Picchu was going to be a long one.
The rooms were very comfortable, clean and quiet. The furniture and decor really give a rich and cozy South American feel.
The location is just a short walk from the city center, close enough to the action without all the noise from it. About 15-20 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the train station.
Bravo to the chef for the delicious food. Every meal was made to perfection.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the service, food and the Hotel facilities. Our staff is our best asset and I feel so glad that they made you feel like home taking care of the details during your stay.

Moreover we very much appreciate your feedback; an invaluable tool in search of the excellence. We look forward to welcoming you soon so that you can continue enjoying all the magic that Cusco has to offer.