“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the center of Cusco, two blocks from the Plaza de Armas. Decor was amazing, and the staff was very helpfully from the time I walked in the door. The common areas were beautifully decorated on old world style in keeping with the city's herritige. The rooms were very nice, but mine was a little smaller. The bathroom did have a shower and a jacuzzi tub in it. Overall I was very pleased.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website.

I am pleased to know that you appreciated our convenient and centric location, the décor that was inspired in colonial century with the elegance of a JW Marriott and our staff friendliness.

I very much appreciate your feedback that is an invaluable tool in search of the excellence.
We hope to see you soon so that you can continue discovering Cusco.

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had read earlier reviews on the JW Marriott in Cusco, Peru and was a little unsure about staying there on our recent trip to visit Machu Piccu. I decided to go for it and decide for myself. The biggest complaint I had read was that they still needed to work through some things since they were a new hotel in an old city. Well I was blown away with the beauty of the property and the amazing service we received. Everyone we encountered bent over backward to make our experience wonderful. I felt spoiled and well taken care of during our stay. Unfortunately we could not stay the full time I had planned, which was 2 nights, because United ended up cancelling our flight out of Houston to Lima, so I had to cancel the first part of our trip which entailed hiking the Inca trail to Machu Piccu. It also meant we could not spend 2 nights in Cusco, only one. And since we had so little time we ended up getting back to the hotel late and leaving for the airport in the morning (we had to get up to Iquitos for a cruise on the Amazon). However, the short time we were there was an extremely memorable and very enjoyable. Staying at this hotel was a wonderful highlight of our trip. My only regret is that we couldn't spend more time. I urge anyone that is trying to decide where to stay in Cusco to give the JW Marriott a try, at the very least go visit it while you are there, you will be blown away.

Room Tip: try to get a room that faces the courtyard
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us, we very much appreciate your feedback and thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our service.

I feel so glad that you have enjoyed your stay, the service; hospitality and good care provided by our staff even though you had to change your itinerary and could not stay one more night with us.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Cusco and look forward to welcome you again so that you can enjoy the beauty of the city and hike the Inca Trail.

Sincerely yours,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I would give the hotel itself five stars and the staff just one star. I was traveling with a group a friends on a road trip through Peru. When we arrived in Cusco, we divided up the group among a couple different hotels depending on people's accommodation preferences and budgets. I had some Marriott points, so a friend and I stayed at the JW.

Our friends who were staying elsewhere came by the hotel to meet us before dinner and to have a swim, and you would have thought that we were in violation of an international peace treaty. The hotel staff kept badgering us about who was staying in the room and wanted our friends to "register" as guests in the room and to pay additional money, even though we repeatedly explained that they were staying at a different hotel. The worker named Claudia was the worst offender and even went so far as to follow us down to the pool and watch us as we tried to use the facilities. This was incrediby weird and awkward and made the stay much less enjoyable, unless you enjoy being stalked.

In addition, we were under the impression that our two breakfasts were included with the room (the receipt we signed saided specifically "included"). Then, upon checkout, we were informed that we had to pay for breakfast at a cost of 68 sol person (about $54 USD total for some juice and fruit and a single egg). When we asked to see the receipt we had signed, Claudia did not want to show it to us. My friend, who is fluent in Spanish, finally got her to show us the receipt after about 15 minutes of arguing. It was clearly marked as having the price of breakfast included in the room. Finally, the staff reversed the charge, but again, the argument substantially diminished the quality of the stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jennifer G
Dear Guest

I do appreciate the time you took to leave your comments on the Trip Advisor website, your opinion is very important for us to help us improving our service.

I am deeply sorry that the service provided by our front desk agent made your stay less enjoyable, we have procedures and worldwide security standards to accomplish in safeguarding of all our guests and that means the registration of any person who is willing to use of our facilities.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies too for the inconveniences with your bill, we have taken the necessary steps so that these incidents do not occur.

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future in order to reverse this negative perception.

Cordially yours,

Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We spent 3 nights in Cusco with a day trip on the Hiram Bingham train to Machu Picchu. The JW Marriott Cusco is a winner. The food is great and the service is excellent. Everyone went out of their way to accommodate every request and made you feel welcomed. The staff stayed in contact with our tour operators and knew our daily schedules to help us prepare for each day (clothing recommendations, which places to go to/avoid, how to time the day, etc) A staff member who was working during the breakfast shift offered to pack us a to go box of fruits and pastries because he knew the day trip to Machu Picchu was going to be a long one.
The rooms were very comfortable, clean and quiet. The furniture and decor really give a rich and cozy South American feel.
The location is just a short walk from the city center, close enough to the action without all the noise from it. About 15-20 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the train station.
Bravo to the chef for the delicious food. Every meal was made to perfection.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the service, food and the Hotel facilities. Our staff is our best asset and I feel so glad that they made you feel like home taking care of the details during your stay.

Moreover we very much appreciate your feedback; an invaluable tool in search of the excellence. We look forward to welcoming you soon so that you can continue enjoying all the magic that Cusco has to offer.

Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

we stayed the past March for 3 nights , and it was amazing,Excellent service from front desk,Rooms were beyond clean, And after a long and exhausting day at Cusco , that wonderful rain shower with fabulous water pressure help you to relax a lot , they also have an underground heated pool, just fantastic!
staff was excellent they help you with anything , and I need to give a special thank you to the hotel chef Rely Alencastre Lazo who took a special care of us , and of course the food was just great!

My family and I really enjoyed the stay , and I would definitely stay here again !!! :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We feel so glad that you have enjoyed your stay; I have extended your comments congratulating our front desk staff, housekeeping and maintenance department. This is a real motivation for them to continue doing a great job, as well as to our Sous Chef Rely who is really passionate.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family in a not too distant future.

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Tiny overstuffed rooms ( the sole chair in mine did not fit under the desk; a circular table with no chairs or apparent purpose was somehow dumped in a space by the window), some in basement levels described as Inca Wall view ( meaning natural light extinguished by the presence of a wall a foot from the window - I managed to change mine), lacking any atmosphere and with an insensitive attempt to blend with its environment, in a city replete with atmospheric lodgings at every price point. Extremely expensive. Pay extra for everything, including wifi! Lack of attention to detail, so that the hair dryer had a plug not fitting the socket and the Ikea type closet doors would only close if bolstered by a suitcase (otherwise the closet lights stay on all night). Folding a towel into a swan and leaving a card begging tips as my "housekeeper" in these circumstances does not work for me. Inside you could be in any city anywhere, which I guess is what this chain aims at. A glass of wine cost as much as a delicious dinner at one of Cusco's best rated restaurants. On the plus side, staff are friendly and mostly efficient. Band, bland, bland. Waste of money. My usually quite helpful travel agent has lost my confidence. Don't do it.

Room Tip: Make sure you are above ground, facing outwards and not on the main Ruinas street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Susan B
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments through the Trip Advisor website.

Please accept my apologies if the furniture layout in the room has not been of your liking nor the view from your room. Thank you for your sincere feedback regarding our service and rates. About housekeeping service, it is not part of our politics that our staff asks for a tip, what these ladies do is an initiative to bring a detail to the guests stay.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations with our Hotel facilities but I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.

Cordially yours,

puerto rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Planned a unique vacation to Cusco to visit the Sacred Valley and decided on JW Marriott, if I go again it will be the hotel. Rooms impeccable, a Convent turned into a hotel with so much details and the rooms so well planned. Walking distance to Cusco City Center. Cannot miss their Choclano con Macerrado de Coco.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us.

As you well mentioned we are located in what was the Agustines’ Monastery that was built in 1560, we are so glad that you could appreciate the historical value of our property as well as the comfort of our rooms and the good taste of our pisco macerated at the bar.

I hope you enjoyed to visit to Cusco downtown and the ruins nearby like Sacsayhuaman and that you could enjoy also the Sacred Valley of the Incas.

Thank you very much for your preference and for choosing us as your destination on your visit to the magical city of Cusco.