“Still working out the New Hotel Kinks but excellent otherwise.”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #9 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Nice hotel with all the modern amenities. The rooms along the street are very noisy even with dual pane windows. I complained after midnight when I couldn't fall asleep with all the cars and people on the street. Was moved to an inside room which had no noise at all. Don't know why they stuck me in a room on the street side in the first place since the hotel wasn't even half full. They did apologize for the noisy room and left us some chocolates and a card the next day.
As a gold member, you get free buffet breakfast which I have to say was excellent.

Dipping pool, sauna and hot tub in the spa area were all really nice. They haven't figured out the proper temp settings yet, since one day it's extremely hot and other days it's just barely luke warm.

The rooms are all nicely appointed and comfortable. I would definitely recommend staying at the Marriott!

1  Thank nitro888
Write a ReviewReviews (2,873)

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent. It's a gentle walk to the main square, but just far enough away to be peaceful in the evening. The decor is striking and unusual, which is rarely true of large chain hotels. I agree with other comments that service was not fabulous; everyone was kind and tried very hard, but things were a bit rough around the edges.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Beautiful, simply beautiful hotel in great location, right around corner from main square. 5 minute walk to Starbucks. Great breakfast. Spa was excellent,sauna, steam room , hot tub ,pool. My husband was dissapointed there was no gym. But you do pay for this luxury.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband &I stayed at the Marriott Cusco in October. All the people who worked there were delightful and very helpful. They wanted to make our stay memorable. They were very accommodating, storing our luggage for several days while we travelled to Machu Picchu. Upon our return, they greeted us by name, gave us a key to our new room, and already had the bags in the room. They also always offered coca tea to help with the altitude sickness. We ate in the restaurant/bar several times, enjoying all our meals. The hotel is in close walking proximity to many main attractions, another plus.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is the last newborn for the luxurious hotel in Cuzco...But if the price are applicated, the charm is completely missing.
1. ok the common area are nice
2. The rooms are small box, without any personnal touch: close your eyes and you are everywhere in the world. Don't try to put 2 suitcases and bags. We are exspected more for the price
3. The staff at the desk is certainly not professional excepted if you admit the deceit is an art: my friend is goldmember in Marriott and normally receive an upgrade in case of availability. When we saw the first room, we ask where aws the upgrade: the answer from the staff member: "the possibility to see the historical wall by the window is the great upgrade"
4. we ask if there was other rooms: first other answer" no", we go on internet and we saw the availability and we showed it. We ask for a free cancellation to go in our first hotel. The women at the desk finally answered that the upgrading was upon her choice and her discretion (the staff at the desk!!!!). Finally we received an other room with a small terrace but not really larger. Really bad value and really bad attitude when you pay this price
5. the air conditionning was defaillant: hot in the room without any regulation. The same for the water in the bathroom: waiting of 10 min to have cold water
In summary a bad and expensive experience with a staff not really interested by his job. Cuzco have other good options

5  Thank HDLBruxelles
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a new hotel, but the only thing they have in common with the many other luxury hotels in Cusco is the price. What they lack in room size, sophistication and real luxury, they make up for in pretentious attitude and an obvious intention to make Marriott's premium brand feel like a Courtyard.

The worst though, is the almost hurting lack of basic staff training. The elite checkin staff upon our arrival, Ms.M, is a good (actually cryingly bad) example. As a gold member in MR, you typically get lounge access and a serious room upgrade. Well, no lounge at this brand new Marriott, and after insisting upon explanation which amenity of our upgraded shoebox size room (called a courtyard room but looking out on a thatched roof about 6FT away from the window) was actually upgraded, I was told that its the historic character of the wall we're looking out to. Well, after interrupting my complaint that we can't even fit our 4 bags into our Gold upgraded room without stumbling over them on our way to the minuscule bathroom, about 7 times, I had to insist to check the cancellation policy. So we could move back to heavenly Carta Cartagena, miraculously a terrace room became available. We settled for that one, so we can at least put our luggage open air and roam freely about our estimated 40 sqft not occupied by Standard Marriott/Renaissance style furniture.

Oh yeah, apparently Ms. M., while sleeping through most of her basic customer training, suddenly remembered that lesson from the course about getting the customer to respect you: she didn't shy away from saying that she could have upgraded to a suite, but none was available and anyway it was the hotel's and her discretion to do so. Well, I quickly checked marriott.com in front of her ... All room categories, incl. Suites were bookable and available. I walked away, with a feeling of being lied to one too many times.

A short summary: just don't give them a second chance, if it's your only hotel in Cusco. Not worth it.

Room Tip: No point, choose a different property!
8  Thank Dirk_BRU
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I'm current staying at room 229. This has to be the most noisy room I have stayed from Marriott property. It's 5am. And I have not sleep since 11pm.

It's the first room right by the elevator, next to the open area from the lobby. Lovely , convient location upon entering the room.

Was I wrong!!!!

11pm: I can hear the people dragging their luggage in the hall way, the people talking on the lobby area, the server busy setting up the breakfast tables.

12am: the noise die down, then I can clearly hear the lobby music coming to the room.
Not just one type music, but two. The classic piano music from the lobby and the techno music from the bar. The front desk were nice enough to turn it off after my request. BUT they said the music will be back on at 5am, to cover up the breakfast area noise.

2am: woke up due to the freezing room.
Its set to 80 degrees but does not feel like it. I'm wearing my fleece and thermo pants to sleep, and it's still cold.

4am: the smell/ noise from the kitchen preparing breakfast comes into the room. Sounds like someone was breaking plates outside my door.

As I'm writing this review, it's 5:30am. I'm tired as hell, I had gotten no sleep during my first night stay here at Cusco. I cannot wait to get switched to another room or another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012