“True taste of Cusco”

Ranked #56 of 770 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: It is the only gourmet restaurant of typical local food. We do not make fusion style. Located in the old palace of the Inca Tupac Yupanqui, we have vegetarian options. In Deva you can found the ancestral cuzco culture through its gastronomy. It is atended by its own owners. We have different Peruvian wines and piscos, and you can enjoy, if you wish so, the traditional "chicha de jora", drink that the Incas offered to the Sun in the Inti Raymi
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Based on a recommendation, we headed here for a traditional meal, hoping that it lived up to expectations. It did. Our meals of quinoa soup, bean salad and traditional salted alpaca stew were very good, and we loved the fact that so many of the ingredients were the ones we had seen earlier in the day at the local San Pedro market. However what really makes the place stand out is the service. From lessons around the variety of local potatoes and corn, to life in and around the area, our waiter Eddie was friendly, knowledgeable, but not too in your face.
If we had more time, we would definitely go back.

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you very much for the comment, is very important for as.

We work hard to give the best service possible.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The staff are lovely and take time to explain how the food is prepared and the different types of ingredients used. A complementary corn beer, corn nuts and cheese are provided. The food is excellent and the staff are only too happy to explain the dishes. The first time I visited I had the guinea pig which was a bit of an acquired taste but I was glad I tried it. The alpaca was beautiful, incredibly tasty and tender and the trilogy sweet was sublime. Ten out of ten.

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you very much for the comment and the photos. Are very nice.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I like to cook for my friends and I always try restaurants with an authoral chef .
I had read about Deva Restaurant in Tripadvisor...my experience was dissapointed.
The dishes were without good looks, odorless, and tasteless...The typical pork's dish of pork was dry and hard. I could not eat.
the owner and the waiter took care of us well but the service was slow but I preferred not complain.
In the following days - My friends jokes about Deva Restaurant throughout the trip... Where is the chef ???
please, get away from here. I understand something about food.
I appologize but it was a bad experience that I must shared

Thank you for the comment.

My apologize for the bad moment.

Deva Restaurant is not a restaurant with an authoral chef, is a restaurant with a chef that make traditional cusquenian home made food, and sometimes home made food take some time to be prepared.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited Deva on the recommendation of the Condor Travel rep who handled the transfer from the airport to our hotel and we certainly weren't disappointed! Deva is a little place tucked away on one of the quieter Cusco streets, just off the main square and probably on has a dozen or so tables, giving it a cosy but relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

In Deva, we had by far the best meal of our holiday in Peru. The staff were exceptional from the moment we were greeted and seated. They were friendly and attentive, happy to help with the menu and answer questions on the more unusual items.

The menu is typical Peruvian and Cuscuenian dishes and we picked Deva specifically with the intention of trying the local food and it didn't disappoint! From the maize beer and roasted mixed corn that automatically appeared at the table when we sat down, through the guinea pig and alpaca steak, to the sharing dessert, everything was delicious and presented beautifully.

And at a little over S100 for two of us, including drinks and tip, I think it's very good value. Yes, you can eat cheaper in Cusco, but we never ate anywhere that was as good as Deva. We even went back as a group of 8 friends a few days later, for a second visit. (Yes, it was just as good 2nd time!)

Highly recommended!

Thank you very much for the comment, is very important for as.

I'm glad you liked our dishes.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Recommended to us by our hostel this was a good restaurant.
It's pretty quiet inside, but they do good food, especially guinea pig! We also tried the quinoa, trout and soups which all tasted good.
Service can take a bit of time (by normal by Peruvian standard).
We paid around £13 for a 2 course meal!

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you very much for the comment.

We always work in service time because is difficult to make this kind of food quickly.