“Amazing service and unique food”

Deva Restaurant Tipico
Ranked #71 of 817 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: It is the only gourmet restaurant of typical local food. We do not make fusion style. Located in the old palace of the Inca Tupac Yupanqui, we have vegetarian options. In Deva you can found the ancestral cuzco culture through its gastronomy. It is atended by its own owners. We have different Peruvian wines and piscos, and you can enjoy, if you wish so, the traditional "chicha de jora", drink that the Incas offered to the Sun in the Inti Raymi
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our concierge recommended Deva as the best place to try traditional, authentic Cusquenian cuisine. What an experience! Our waiter Eddie was incredibly attentive and informative, sharing every detail of the ingredients used to prepare our meals. He brought out baskets containing the various types of corn and potatoes native to the Cusco region and thoroughly explained (in slow, deliberate Spanish, so as to enhance our experience) the typical dishes made with each. This was by far the most educational and relaxing meal I can remember.

I had the cuy al horno (guinea pig), a very traditional dish, prepared with a delicious stuffing made with a local mint herb and spearmint. The presentation was fun, with owner Federico making an appearance and encouraging pictures of us with the main dish. They then took all of the awkward work out of first-time cuy eating by removing the head and slicing the little fellow into manageable bites. Eddie then informed me of the traditional approach to cuy -- hands-on!

The food was delicious and the service was beyond compare. If you're looking for the "real deal" when visiting Cusco, this is the place to go!

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you very much for the comment. I remember the picture I take, it's really funny.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Dined early (6:30) for dinner 09 Mar. We were the first to arrive. Restaurant was half full by the time we left. Alfredo was very good at introducing us to the cuisine of the area with an enjoyable explanation of the variuos corn, potato and Quinua variations. As this was our first day in Cuzco Alfredo recommended we eat light. Must be a relative term as we left full without room for dessert.
We tried the Corn soup (just OK), the Chicken soup (a bit too many potatoes) and the grilled chicken which was good. Paid by Mastercard with PIN but the input didn't provide an option to add a tip. We ordered a bottle of the cheapest red wine on the short list (s70) and it was acceptable.

Thank you very much for the comment.

It would have been interesting to try our desserts.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is in principle an interesting restaurant. The idea is to serve dishes that were popular in pre-hispanic times, and there are some unique options on the menu. Another good thing was the service. My waiter, Eddie, explained the thinking behind Deva and about the local culture, both in a very genuine and pleasant way. Five stars for that. On the negative side, the prices are way too high for this type of rustic food and decor. These traditional dishes, such as the alpaca stew that I had, were invented long before the word gourmet even existed and there is no reason why a meal at Deva should cost the equivalent of two days work for an average Peruvian. I would say move to a less expensive location, cut the prices by two thirds, and you will get a lot of customers here. (When I visited, I was the only person there.)

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you very much for the comment.

Unfortunately you come in low season and it's common to see not full restaurants outside main square.

We use the best ingredients that we found and these are not cheap, even producing our own leaves for salads, photos of which can be seen on our facebook.

Federico Schaerer A.
Ouner

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Highly recommended! I heard about this place by word of mouth and now I'm obliged to spread the word. If you are in Cusco and want to step away from the "fusion" and tourist traps, come here and try traditional Cuscian food with excellent service. I felt like I had a great meal and a historical lesson taught by food and ingredients. The restaurant also supports local farmers and merchants. Alfredo was my dinner guide more than a waiter and had me try different infused Piscos when I couldn't decide on a drink. Ill be returning if I find myself back in Inca country

Thank you very much for the comment. Itś very important for as. It encourage as to continuing in the same way.

Federico Schaerer A.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

As the name implies, they serve various foods you are not likely to see on a menu outside of Peru. We had the cuy and the alpaca. Possibly because we were there in the off-season on a Tuesday(?) night, it wasn't very busy and our waiter gave us quite an education. He brought out a display of the different types of potatoes, corn, and quinoa they use and explained their various uses, how they grow, etc. He also brought out some chicha for us to try and samples of various desserts. It was an excellent evening with an excellent meal.

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you very much for the comment.

We try to show the ingredients that we use to every one that come to Deva Restaurant, but is true that if the restaurant is busy we find it more complicated.