“Really enjoyed the typical food”

Deva Restaurant Tipico
Ranked #26 of 693 Restaurants in Cusco
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: It is the only gourmet restaurant of typical local food. We do not make fusion style. Located in the old palace of the Inca Tupac Yupanqui, we have vegetarian options. In Deva you can found the ancestral cuzco culture through its gastronomy. It is atended by its own owners. We have different Peruvian wines and piscos, and you can enjoy, if you wish so, the traditional "chicha de jora", drink that the Incas offered to the Sun in the Inti Raymi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Really enjoyed the typical food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was a fantastic place to delve into Cusco's great typical cuisine. I am so thankful we stumbled upon it walking to the Plaza de Armas from our Hotel. This is highly recommended for people who want to try the real deal. The dishes with tarwi (a local plant our server taught us about) were great. Good "chicha"!

• Visited January 2013
DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you very much for the comment. It is really helpful.

Federico Schaerer Aragones

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Traditional Cusco cuisine, a good place to try Cuy (guinea pig) and local food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Deva is small place with about 30 covers, nicely decorated in local style that serves mainly local, Cusquenian food with a few choices from elsewhere in Peru.

Service was welcoming, friendly but a touch slow delivering drinks like water and beer (we were thirsty!) but otherwise great. We were given a small glass of chicha, the local brew made from fermented maize, which was really good and slightly nutty plus roasted corn and some local cheese to whet our appetites. My son got some chicha morada which inspired him to have two more glasses (this is pineapple, apple, lime plus some purple corn).

We really enjoyed the quinoa risotto with cheese although naming it 'risotto' was a stretch. The other starter of a chilli stuffed with cuy was tasty but strangely came in an omelette an ingredient which did not appear on the menu?

Our cuy main was a stew with peanuts and cinnamon. Disappointingly it had only 2 small pieces of cuy that were mainly skin and made us wish we had ordered the much more expensive whole cuy that we saw appear at the next table. The sauce was OK but not as full of flavour as we had hoped for. The alpaca stew served with pureed beans needed a touch more seasoning and was a bit light on the alpaca.

The Trilogia dessert was the highlight. Potato sorbet, not something I have had before, was yum, the local tomato tart (a tasty fruit not tomato as you might expect) was perfect with great pastry and slightly sour.

It really depends what you want to eat in Cusco, if you have several nights or want a whole cuy you should try Deva but if you only have one night you should consider Uchu (amazing Peruvian steakhouse), Inkazuela for hearty Peruvian stews or Cicciolina for more international fare.

• Visited January 2013
DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you very much for the comment.
We are going to consider your opinion about the guinea pig stew.

Sydney, Australia
“Ambient, traditional & beautiful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Came here after a recommendation from our tour guide. I was so pleased. The food is fresh, well presented & the menu is helpful with suggestions of what to have on the first day arriving (soups). There are vego options as well as food for omnivores. There's also an English translation for all of them.

I had the chicken soup since I wasn't able to keep much down and this magically stayed down, so happy!

Atmosphere is good, some traditional music in the background and service was nice and helpful. Prices were good for a nicely presented and clean premises. Highly recommended!

DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the comment. I feel very glad.

Austin, Texas
“The highlight of our time in Cusco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I am so glad I found this place on TripAdvisor, as our hotel had not heard of it. Out of a trip that included many highlights, I would still have to say that our meal at Deva was the highlight of our time in Cusco... it was that wonderful of a dining experience. We were started off with the traditional Chi Cha drink (an acquired taste) and the Andean version of popcorn. Even though we were told that ceviche is better in Lima than in Cusco, we ordered the Ceviche and OMG, it was the best I have ever had (even better than the one I had in Lima). I think I am ruined for ceviche in the US after having tasted the one at Deva. I honestly wanted to lick the plate. We also tried the cuy (guinea pig), because, hey, "when in Rome!" It was not bad. Tasted more like pork than chicken. Our waiter, Alfredo, recommended the form of preparation and even taught us the way to eat it traditionally (with our hands, while dipping it into a delicious chili sauce). When he learned that it was our first day in Cusco (we disobeyed the whole "eat light your first day in the altitude" thing), he made sure to bring us a special tea that would help us with the digestion problems that can be caused with the high altitude. One thing that was really special was when Alfredo brought out the different types of corn and potatoes to teach us a little bit about them and their uses. He had great little personal anecdotes included, which we just loved. I feel like I not only learned about some of the agriculture, but about some traditional customs in Andean homes. We just loved Alfredo! All in all, it was a very special dining experience, on top of the fact that the food was incredible. Please give Deva a try if you visit Cusco and want a tipico meal. It is just a block and a half from the Plaza de Armas.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ramonaruby
DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you very much for the comment. It help as a lot.

Alfredo sends greetings.

My best regards.

Federico Schaerer Aragones
Lima, Peru
“Great experience!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Since the beginning to the end great experience. Excellent customer service, I would like to thanks Alfredo (the server) who treat us like kings. The food is really good, if you want to have Alpaca this is the best place to go. Thank you Federico (owner) and your team for make feel my wife and I like at home.

• Visited December 2012
DevaRestaurant, Propietario at Deva Restaurant Tipico, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you very much for the comment. Of cours I rembember you.