“Four day classic Inka Trail tour with Explorandes was fantastic”
Review of Explorandes

Explorandes
Ranked #121 of 911 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1975, Explorandes has been a pioneer in adventure travel area, from being the first company to operate treks on the Inca Trail to spearheading tourism in remote and rural regions of Peru, discovering ancient ruins and hidden trails and exploring the last unchartered rivers in some of the most fantastic and varied natural landscapes of the Andes. We are innovators and adventure enthusiasts with a passion, giving back to the places we enjoy and travel to, creating top quality tailor-made travel experiences for each and every guest.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My sister and I just returned from an amazing trip to Peru and Argentina July 1- 19, 2014. Our main focus was hiking the Inca Trail with Explorandes. We chose the four-day option with a tour of Machu Picchu on the fifth day.

Our guide Saul, cook Santos and our four porters did a great job keeping us safe and comfortable. The trek was by far one of the most amazing experiences for me. I was worried that I would not make it through the trail. But Saul paced us perfectly. Surprisingly, I did not suffer from sore muscles or much fatigue because we followed his lead.

Saul taught us so much about the culture, language, vegetation and more. And he has the perfect disposition / personality, something that seems to come naturally to him. Although we know that hundreds of other trekkers were on the trail, we actually did not see many until the third day. We felt that we had the trail all to ourselves and the porters from other tour companies.

The food was amazing: the best lomo saltado and cooked on a two burner propane stove, Our cook Santos is a genius.

Explorandes does a great job from beginning to end. There are lots of great trekking companies, but we chose this company for their focus on the environment and for their social responsibility. Our support team -- our guide, cook and porters -- seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact that we chose to spend our travel dollars in Peru creating employment opportunities for them.

3  Thank Lucy K
There are newer reviews for Explorandes

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I used Explorandes to book a 12 day trip to Peru for 8 people. Our itinerary included Lima, Cusco and the 4 night-5 day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. From the beginning I knew I had picked the right travel agency. Talia listened to what I wanted and put together an excellent tour including hotel bookings, return train from MP and round trip air between Lima and Cusco. She was quick to answer all my questions and concerns. Our guide in Cusco/Inca Trail was Carlos Loayza. He was without a doubt one of the best guides I have had the pleasure of meeting. His knowledge of Peruvian history, flora and fauna was extraordinary. The porters were amazing, carrying all the camping gear, food and our personal bags, very hardworking men. The extremely competent chefs prepared food that was delicious and abundant, taking care of the 2 people with special dietary needs. My group felt safe and well cared for by Carlos and the the trekking staff. Explorandes made our visit to Peru very special. I highly recommend using them to book your trip.

2  Thank Terri M
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We did the four night-five day Inca Trail trip to Machu Picchu with Explorandes. With arranging the trip, Talia in the office was extremely helpful. She answered our emails promptly and helped us with booking our hotel in MP, climb of Huaynapichhu, and return train. I expected to run into lots of people on the trail, but we were pleasantly surprised at the crowd-free feel. I credit that to the way Explorandes selects their campsites for the trail and puts together this itinerary. We felt like we were the only ones on the trail, staying only the last night in one of the huge camping zones. And even then, most of the other groups left at night to reach the Sun Gate for sunrise. Since the Sun Gate sunrise is not on the Explorandes agenda, we got to enjoy the fourth day's trail by daylight, which included exploring several Inca ruins that the night-hiker groups don't get to see. I wouldn't have wanted to miss those!

Our guide Manuel was incredible--informative, fun, and experienced--answering all of our oddball questions from Peruvian history to cultural quirks. He catapulted the caliber of the trip way beyond what we expected. The chefs amazed us at each meal, rolling out dish after dish of scrumptious food. Loved the first course soups at lunch and dinner. So yummy. And nothing beats being woken up in the morning with a delivery to our tent of hot tea and a tub of warm wash water. When toilet facilities weren't available, they had a portable toilet in a tent set up for us, even for lunch stops.

Overall, Explorandes delivered a top-notch trekking experience for us--from start to finish....even meeting us in the hotel before the trip for a briefing. We appreciated the high quality of professionalism of the office, our guide, the chefs, and our porters.

1  Thank BJL1320
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I recently had occasion to book with Explorandes for a trip to Colca Canyon. I specifically asked if they on-sold tours (as this is common practice in Peru)and have the email me assuring me they don´t. The tour was on sold twice. Indeed the second comapany had never heard of of Exploreandes and indeed turned out to have a justifiably very poor reputation - Colonial Tours.

If you´re in a group then you´re probably ok with these guys, if you´re 1 or 2 people booking I would go elsewhere as these guys will onsell the tour and you´ll have no idea what to expect as they will have no control over the standard of trip.

6  Thank Jim S
ExplorandesPe, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Explorandes, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Hello Jim

WEeare very sorry to know that you had a bad experience on your trip. We would like you to know that we operate all of our services. So, in order to improve our service, and see what can we do for you, we would like to know if we can talk to you by email. Please send us a email to info@explorandes.com

Hope you are having a great week.

Kind regards.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Recently completed the Salkantay trek ending at Machu Pichhu. Explorandes and their incredible staff made this trek a memory that will last a lifetime. Starting with Talia in the office who made sure all details were buttoned up, our great guide Neptali who was a joy to trek with, to the talented chefs and hard working porters, they made this trip enjoyable and exciting. I will use Explorandes again and highly recommend them.

2  Thank jfd32