“Bad - stay away”

Ranked #105 of 462 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Geneva, Switzerland
“Bad - stay away”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

They start by telling you the 12% booking fee is for hostelworld.com and so charge you that again (not true, it's a freaking deposit). The private rooms are close to the breakfast room so get ready to hear some noise in the morning (or at night...right before that early morning tour, yay!). The carpets on the floor are mostly stained. The curtains let in tons of light and good luck trying to get some sleep. Oh yea...and I am pretty sure I got stolen as I left some cash on the bedside table and when I got back it wasn't there. (It make my conscience happy to know I helped someone who probably got a month's salary with that Money).

Overall: dodgy hostel, despite one or two nice staff. Stay away and go to Pisko & Soul where they really know how to take care of guests.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank franciscosmfb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Location: Right in the heart of hearts in Cusco! Closed to everything, such as, churches, museums, squares, markets and bars

Room: Austerely-equipped yet clean and quiet room, 24/7 hot water and free wifi.

Service: Free breakfast, desk help, luggage left and extremely nice staff (we even partied together in those bars next door and keep in touch on Facebook till now! what else you can tell?)

Atmosphere: A great venue to meet, party, drink and chillax with other travelers

P/S: No grievance! Will stay there next time

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had the opportunity to travel to a lot of beautiful places and to meet a lot of wonderful people. The majority of these wonderful people I've met in the hostels I have been staying in. So far, one of the best hostels ever, has been Che Lagarto in Cusco.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms themselves are good, it's really close to the main plaza and it just provides a great atmosphere.
It's a really nice place and I highly recommend it!

Los extraño mucho Che Lagarto people! <3

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Very friendly people at the front desk! They are always thoughfull and willing to help you to set up trip and visits. Nice cost benefit ratio. Good location. A nice place to meet people from other places to hang out with.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Valparaiso, Chile
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed in Che Lagarto Hostel Cusco for 5 nights. It was a good place, near to the historic center and the central square. It was too easy to find. It wasn't expensive enought, but the breakfast was nothing special.
The staff were always very polite, and always very busy. Sometimes, there was a problem with the security, so you must to take care of your things very well (Someone stole the mobile to a brazilian tourist). So you must to take your padlock for the locker!
The rooms are big and it was always very clean. It was wifi and It was work very well, but weren't many computers enough and the computers were too slow!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Only stayed here for one night after Machupicchu and didn't spent much time in the hostel. Stayed in a twin private which had one double bed and a single bed. It also had a TV with some channels in English and a bathroom with reliable hot water. The hostel is in a good location, right next to Plaza San Francisco a 5 minute walk to the main square Plaza de Armas. Wifi was a bit unpredictable and kept going on and off. Other than this the room was comfy, and had a heater, a bonus in the winter in Cusco! Not as modern as the Lima Che Lagarto but a comfortable stay.

Stayed June 2013
Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My experience at this hostel was quite bad. Like some others reviewers said when I arrived I had problems with my bookings. I booked through hostel world and when I arrived they made me check my email to see which rate I had to pay. Then they tried to put me in 8 dorm when I had booked a 6 ensuite dorm. I protested and they put me in the right room, saying though that I had to pay the difference! crazy! I insisted again, and refused to pay. It was New Years eve so I had no where else to go! But that's not it! the night before going to Machu Pichu I booked a taxi through them and the clearly overcharged me by doubling the rate. After arranging the time to be picked up I went to bed. After I fell asleep a guy from the reception came shaking me in my bed trying to wake me up because he didn't remember what time I wanted my taxi to arrive!!!! And finallly....after returning from Machu Pichu I was exhausted and wanted a shower, but people from other rooms started to come into mine to use my bathroom. The bathroom of another room had broken and instead of sending the people of this room to the common bathroom the send them to my room! As i protested to reception the woman working there was very rude and told me that I wasn't in a private room so there were allowed to send people in my room!!! My staying there was a nightmare. Staff don't know how to do their jobs and treat me very rudly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo