“Best Guide ever, But SAS Travel were Terrible and put a downer on the whole thing :( NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!”
Review of SAS Travel Peru

SAS Travel Peru
Ranked #28 of 486 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: SAS Travel -Peru … A well-established quality Tour Operator with more than two decades of experience and expertise in the tourism industry, organizing a huge variety of Tours in Cusco and Peru, Adventures trips, Treks, Amazon Jungle Trips and Packages in Peru, highly recommended for MachuPicchu tours, Inca Trail to MachuPicchu hikes,short Inca Trail hike, alternative treks as Vilcabamba, Ausangate, Choquequirao, Salkantay, Lares Valley, Tipon, Huchuy Qosqo hikes… Extension tours to Colca canyon in Arequipa, the floating islands in the lake Titicaca in Puno or flying over the enigmatic Nazca Lines, Ballestas islands or Paracas reserve. SAS Travel Peru also offers excellently guided cultural tours of the Sacred Valley, South Valley tour, Moray, Salt-mines and combined Cusco City tour with Saqsawaman, Tambomachay, Qenqo, Pucapucara and the amazing Koricancha or for those who want a little excitement around Cusco there`s white-water rafting in the Urubamba River, mountain biking in Maras, Moray and salt-mines, horseback riding in the Sacred Valley or near Cusco, climbing, paragliding and more. Recognized and honored by the Regional Govt Tourist Ministry as: "2010 Best Inca Trail Tour Operator"
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I did the Inca trail with SAS, and while on the trail had the best guide ever! But the Company themselves just put a downer on the entire thing with 75% of our group had problems with them. Email communication before wasn't great, unanswered emails, actually paying wasn't easy. and ALL the time they add extra costs on. Why does Huaynapiccu cost another $70 to climb when its only another $10/15 extra on the price of the normal ticket if you get your ticket direct?
The equipment provided to the guides/porters could have been much better, I wasn't that impressed with the equipment provided, as you have to rent almost everything other than the tent, I would suggest you look into bringing your own.

This is in no way a reflection of the Guide and porters who all did an amazing job, I do not think we could have got a better guide.

I can only suggest if you are reading this Review you look into Lama path as they seem to have the best reviews by far, and were my first choice. Alas SAS responded quicker, well at least untill I had paid my deposit!

8  Thank paul216x

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I did the 4 day 3 night classic inca trail with an extra night in Aquas Calientes following the trail in early January this year. I did alot of research prior to choosing who to walk with and was very happy with my choice of SAS Travel. We had a terrific guide, Saul Palma who had walked the trail over 300 times, was knowledgeable, spoke excellent English, was very entertaining and encouraging and supportive during the trek. We were provided with three impressive meals every day, breakfast included pancakes and porridge and lunch and dinner were buffets with many delicious options. As well as the generous meals we were also given snacks to eat along the trail. The chaskis ( porters) who accompanied our group were very impressive, not only did they carry our bags but they also set up the tents and packed up our sleeping bags and mats every day. We were lucky to be included in a warm, friendly group of seven people and enjoyed the company of other trekkers we met. Walking through the Andes mountains was amazing, the scenery is stunning and the many inca ruins very interesting. On the last day I climbed Huayna Picchu which was a highlight of the trip.

1  Thank Mari816
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I went on the 4D/3N Inca trail Classic in January & also climbed Huaynapicchu Mountain. It was unforgettable amazing trip! I almost didn’t include the Huaynapicchu Mtn. but I am glad I did. It was so well worth it. The views were magnificent and it was a great way to end this trip.
Our guides were Jose Baca and Ruben Soto and they were just wonderful! They are very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. They took good care of all of us. Thank you to all the porters who carried our group’s personal belongings, the equipment, and setting up at the campsites. Such hard workers and without them we wouldn’t be able to do the hike. I highly recommend hiring a personal porter. I didn’t hire a personal porter thinking it wouldn’t be a problem. Well I was wrong; the altitude definitely got to me & it didn’t help that my bag was a little heavy. Also thank you to our Chef Ephraim & Asst. Chef Elipio who cooked us our delicious meals. We all ate like kings. SAS travel was highly recommended by two separate people who I had met during my vacation in the Caribbean. They told me if I wanted to do the Inca trail I should definitely use them. I also did my research before making a final decision on a trail tour company. I was so happy I chose them. From the moment I booked with them and until the trip ended there were no problems. Everything went so smoothly. I had a great experience and I would use them again for other trips in Peru. Thank you SAS for this awesome journey!

1  Thank katgp
Reviewed January 27, 2014

When I booked this trail via SAS, I had a certain set of expectations based of what I read online. I expected to have fun, to be in professional hands, but I did not expect to bond with such a diverse amount of personalities in such a short amount of time- especially in a situation which during many times was quite stressful and show ourselves at our most vulnerable.
I think this has to be partly credited to the guides, especially Mike. He had a way with people and did many things to nurture this family atmosphere, from the mutual introduction of the campers and the porters/cooks, to the beautiful ceremonies he held to allow us to connect with nature, and with each other. He was quite passionate about the history of the Incas, the preservation of the environment, and had a profound respect for the grounds we were walking on, and unashamedly spiritual about it. But If you just sat and took in the wonder of being around such spectacular views, you couldn't help but feel spiritual yourself.
Food was excellent, and we ate like kings. Our guides really took care of us too. On the second day I suffered a huge throbbing headache which came out of nowhere (and my face turned pale grey apparently), Mike knew exactly what to do to help me out.
It's been 3 weeks now since I did the trail and I've just finished my holiday in Peru. For me magical 4 days really stand out, and I'm sure a lot of people in my group feel this too. After the trail ended a lot of us stuck around in Aguas Calientes and in Cusco just to hang out with each other a bit longer, and try hang on to that special atmosphere from the last few days. A lot of us were saying how we missed our guides and wished they were there. We even tried to perform our own Mike-like ceremony were we took turns sharing what the last 4 days meant to us. I think this is a sign of how special this trip was for our group. Thank you Mike, Jose and Henry for being such wonderful people, for bringing us all together and making this experience so great for us!
(did trail on 5 Jan 2014 for 5days 4nights with aguas calientes on final night to to huanya picchu the final day - we called our group the sexy llamas)

Reviewed January 26, 2014

A friend and I did the classic Inka trek with SAS. We already had high expections but SAS and our great guides, Mike, Jose and Henry and the wonderful porters made it better than we could have imagined. From the AMAZING food, outstanding knowledge of the land and history, help, and fun it was one of the highlights of our 4 month South America trip. I recommend SAS and Mike and the gang for any Peru adventure, if not you are cheating yourself.

Salud,