Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM

from $35.00
More Info
from $45.00
More Info
All reviews machu picchu these guys great guide jorge agencies salkantay horseman trek chef peru cooks empire camping accommodations
Selected filters
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Bioandean did a great job organizing a small and cosy group to trek up the Salkantay Trail.
We were fortunate that the group consisted of only 7 people with comparable fitness level (some matching must have been done).
The guide was versatile enough to modify and suggest changes in itinerary for situations that crop up (my travel partner sprained her ankle, developed flu and I developed bad altitude sickness). So instead of making us trek up, alternatives like hiring a horse to bring us up was made.
In addition, special meals were also prepared for me in consideration of my weakened stomach and constitution and the cook was able to whip up a different meal for me consisting of chicken porridge.
Generally food was excellent and it was almost a miracle that treats like apple pie, pancakes and chocolate pudding was available at our tables. In addition, the equipment provided was top notch - NorthFace tents and NorthFace thermal sleeping bags (although we did have to pay additional amounts to rent it). Although it was cold, we were kept nice and warm and well fed.

Date of experience: June 2013
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We did the 5d/4n trek.. The actual trek was amazing our guide, the accomodation and the food was great. My issue with salkantay trek.Peru came due to the fact that I booked in advance.. 'Do not book in advance' my trip cost $559 whole the other people on the exact same trek cost $380.. this is a huge difference.. We where told the difference was cause we booked through an American company.. And that tour opporators join together to make the trips more affordable for them selves.. If there was no one else booked on our trek we should not be penalised for this and as far as I knew we were booking directly with the company in cusco. Salkantay trek had my money and were earning interest on it for the begining part of the year and I still paid more for the trek.. When asked about it we were given $50 refund.. Which is half of what should have been refunded.. We also did not follow the schedule on the 4th day and instead did a boring walk along the river in the morning. We were also asked to pay for our transport to the hot pools which was meant to be included.. These things should be discussed with the guide and clients so that there is no confusion on the trek.. We were also not given duffel bags and coca leaves before starting the trek which the other people who payed less where given.. The duffel bag would have made our lives a lot easier due to the fact that we could only take 8 kg on the trek and had to leave some stuff behind.. Overall the issues we had were with the management and not with the trek.. The trek was amazing...

Date of experience: June 2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Salkantay trek is beautiful and exciting and at the same time, not crowded. We took a 4d/3n trek ending in Machu Pichu the last day. I highly recommend it to other travelers.

Our experience with the trekking company, however, was not as good. We used Salkantaytrekking.com (full name: Salkantay Trekking and Expeditions Specialists ) in May 2013. I would not recommend this company to others who are interested in the Salkantay trail. (details below)

The main problem with salkantaytrekking.com is their guide who was completely uninterested in completing the trail and would take any chance to use motor vehicles instead of actually trekking. He also often walked either 5 minutes ahead or 5 minutes behind the pack, presumably to avoid having to explain anything. The worst part of it was that he often teamed up with the locals to rip us off for very minor things. Furthermore, due to his mismanagement of our Machu Pichu entrance schedules, some of the people in our group ended up not being able to enter the facility on the planned day and had to prolong their stay for another day to visit Machu Pichu (this is not fun when you have trekked for a few days and the people affected were terribly dejected). This mess that he created also resulted in him giving us a very incomplete tour of the Machu Pichu which barely covered the basics. In brief, the guide had no interest in the trail but a lot of interest in our money.

Tour guide aside, other things were good. The camping locations were appropriately chosen, the equipment was alright, the horsemen carried our stuff in the rain without getting them wet. The best part had to be the chief who managed to cook very delicious meals (three courses for lunch and dinner) every day in the middle of nowhere. This chief was very impressive, but I learned that he was just one of several chiefs and others are not as good.

I hope you find this information useful.

Reza K

Date of experience: May 2013
7  Thank Reza K
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Well, this for sure is the longest trip to Machu Picchu and the hardest one. On the other hand, I bet this is the one with the best landscapes. Just go ready for the second day, because it's like 10 hours walking with little stops and reaching until 4.629m high, so it's hard to reach and, also, hard to breath, but the view is awesome.
Taking out the first night (hard to sleep because of cold and high) and the first half of the second day, the trail gets easier.
Be welcome to Machu Picchu in the fifith day. Have a nice traveling time.

Date of experience: May 2013
2  Thank bernardo_laferte
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I got back from the Salkantay trek a week ago. I decided to book with Bioandean expeditions because of the great reviews I had read on this website, and I was not disappointed. Rider, the owner, did a great job providing us with everything we needed to make the experience unforgettable. We had a great guide, Percy, who was extrememly experienced and knowledgeable, as well as an "Amazing" chef who cooked huge, elaborate meals for us almost every meal. He even surprised us with a delicious cake. The trek itself was everything that I could ask for, and I have Bioandean expeditions to thank for making that happen. Machu picchu was incredible, but the journey there was my favorite part. Thanks again to Rider, Percy, "Amazing", Salvador, and the rest of the staff!

Date of experience: March 2013