“Absolutely the best!”

Apumayo Expediciones
Ranked #179 of 839 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Apumayo Expediciones, a local Peruvian company based in the City of Cusco, established in 1995. Specialized in adventure travel and non conventional tourism, combining it with cultural, educational and natural history. Apumayo Expediciones describes itself as a commercial venture with a strong environmental and social agenda, development and supporting in the way many projects like river cleaning up , offering activities and tours for people with disabilities and support Andean community projects, which maximise the positive effect of tourism activities locally. The Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu, host many of our adventure trips like rafting, hiking, mountain bike, horse back rides and other participative activities related with the Inca culture and the day life of the Andean people like agro-tourism, interpretation, volunteer and bring the option to share authentic experiences with the local inhabitants.
Flagstaff, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely the best!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Apumayo took amazing care of us and left us with an incredible sense of awe by the end of our trip! I can truly say that nothing was lacking. Our 5 day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu was unforgettable. The scenery along the way stopped you in your tracks more than once every day. There were incredible archaeological sites all along the route. Our guides were knowledgeable, friendly, and eager to help us at any moment. Apumayo guides think about the little things that gave us the "grand" experience... like intentionally getting away from the crowds with small changes from the traditional schedule. The food was delicious. The porters, cooks, and other crew were very kind, hardworking, and beaming with happiness. The camping gear was perfect, very comfortable. We were given a bowl of hot water to wash up after hiking each day and we were woken up with a tray of coffee, hot chocolate, or tea at our bedside each day.
This company really took care of every little detail and made us feel very prepared and comfortable. They would even provide us with a special drawstring cloth bag of snacks each day. I cannot any more highly recommend Apumayo. This company is very well run, the emloyees were clearly very happy, and as a tourist I could not have been any happier with the decision to travel with Apumayo!

Visited November 2012
4 Thank kelly574

Page, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wow! An experience to remember.”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My sister and I recently went on a 5-day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu with Apumayo. I was just amazed at how incredible the experience was. Pre-trip, Apumayo gave us all kinds of information via email about what the trek would be like, what we need to bring, etc. They were very helpful. When we first met the crew at the orientation meeting pre-trip, I was very impressed with the outfit again. The guides were informative (2 guides for 9 passengers) and really helped us understand what we would be doing for the next 5 days. They speak great English too! The morning of the trek, we drove with the guides in a comfy shuttle to the start. They stopped along the way in Ollantaytambo to allow us to purchase our final necessities. The guides had our tickets, etc. ready for entry into the trek and it went smoothly. The first day is a "training/easy" day. The second day was our big day, up and over Dead Woman's pass, the third day held another pass and the 4th day was our descent to Machu Picchu. Our support crew included 13 porters and 2 chefs. The porters carried all our gear, so we only had our day packs with water, snacks, rain gear, etc. That made the trek quite do-able. Each day at lunch, we would arrive at some beautiful place where our porters had already set the cooking and dining tents and were waiting for us with a refreshing beverage in hand. Lunches were delicious and included things like a quinoa pasta dish, fancy tuna sandwiches with loads of guacamole, juices and soups with meals. Plenty to go around and great food. After a leisurely lunch, we would pack up and head back on the trail while the porters packed up. The porters are incredible people because they would pack up lunch, pass us up on the trail and then have camp all set when we arrived! Upon arrival at camp, we had our tent set up for us and were given hot water to rinse our face and hands. A bit later came tea time where they served cookies, tea, coffee, etc. in the dining tent. It was fun to hang around with our group and relax. We played cards, took pictures, talked about the day, told stories, whatever. Dinners were always wonderful and started with a warm soup and bread. We had trout, potatoes, salad one night. Another night we had a chicken and rice curry and one night they even baked a cake in a pan for one of the passenger's birthdays!
On the 4th day we arrived to Machu Picchu! What a sight. We didn't visit Machu Picchu muc that day , we headed down the hill to stay in a hotel in Aguas Calientes. The next morning we went up the hill to Machu Picchu in a bus and our guides gave us a great tour of the Machu Picchu ruins.
All in all, we really loved our trip. I think I would have like Machu Picchu if I had gone to it by bus, but to have trekked to it for days made it SO MUCH more memorable. It isn't always in the destination, but in the journey. Our journey was fantastic and Apumayo outfitted it well. There was nothing I needed that they didn't have. They even rented us sleeping bags, and gave us duffel bags and hiking poles.
And, I know many people are curious about the toilet situation. There are rustic toilets along the trek, but Apumayo carries their own. It is a nice, clean little set-up. It is set up in each camp in the evening and is private. Definitely a nice amenity.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank AzChica33
Manitou Springs, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“PERU TOUR”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This company has it all together !!!! Wow !!!!! These guys were great !!!!!!

Talk about service, my husband and I just toured Cusco ,Pisac, Inca trail and much more with our personal guide, Santiago. Be sure and ask for him. This was a trip of a life time, I would recommend to everyone.

Colorado Gal

Visited October 2012
3 Thank ColoradoAG
Pleasanton, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“One of the coolest trips ever!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I did a 4 day Multi Sport package through Apurimac River with Apumayo at the end of May of this year and it was one of the best experience ever.
The first day was mountain biking which I was a little bit scared as I’ve never done it but I tried the first part and then hopped it on the van, but my husband really enjoyed the ride.
The landscape was so beautiful, lot of green valleys, mountains and blue sky. The second part of the day was a hike to our first camp site. What a beautiful trail with little cascades and waterfalls.
The second day started our river adventure and it was so exciting, lots of 3-4+ class sections.
We wanted to say thank you to the team who made this trip so awesome. The guides were so professional, attentive and accommodating. It was really amazing to see all the logistics involved and hard work they do carrying all the equipment every time we have to camp and leave to our next destination.
Kudos to all the team: Pepe L, Pepe N, Diego, Santiago and Alvaro. They were excellent cooks as well. Santiago and Diego delighted us with delicious meals every night. We are foodies and I would have never expected to say that I had one of the best meals camping!. They think about everything. Every time we got into a new campsite, they had the table ready with appetizers.
They were also very eco friendly and make sure we did not leave any trash at the campsites, they truly care about the environment and do every effort to protect the river.
We cannot wait to our next adventure in Peru and it will certainly be with Apumayo.
If you are planning to do a trip in Cusco, you will notice there are many companies offering similar tour packages and there are very cheap ones, but there’s a reason for that. You will find out that many of them are not professionals, don’t care about the environment nor for your safety.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Viajerosen
Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Tour guide was awesome!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I used Apumayo to book a mountain biking trek. We loved our tour guide (I'm so bad with names!). He was incredibly knowledgeable and made the trip a lot of fun. The equipment was great and they even brought us a lunch for us to enjoy in the middle of the day.
Now, we asked for the difficult trail which we definitely got! I had never been downhill biking which was scary yet exhilarating at the same time, I don't think I've ever gone that fast on a bike! We also were literally biking on cliffs which was terrifying but amazing at the same time! My boyfriend kept up with the tour guide but I had to get off my bike a couple times and just walk it down...

I really enjoyed this tour service and have nothing bad to say about them. I would definitely recommend them! =D

Visited August 2011