“Great Salad Bar, Filet Mignon and Chocolate Cake”

El Meson de Espaderos
Ranked #174 of 806 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: American, Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We reserved the window seat to watch Santurantikuy happen in the Plaza de Armas on the 24th of Dec with a couple of our passengers. We knew the view would be great but didn't know about the food. The salad bar was excellent with a variety of pickled treats and sauces. We had chicken parrillada as an appetizer which was delicious. Everyone ordered the Filet as an entree and was very pleased (not a petite cut). A couple of us had the chocolate cake for desert which was enormous! Great view, good food and a funny waiter. The bottle of red wine we shared was excellent and very reasonably priced. We recommend El Meson.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The menu is huge with a great variety from which to choose. We were not told by the waiter that the main course price included a free buffet starter so missed out the first time Returned another night and got the full monty, though. A bit pricey by Cusco standards but well worth it. Unusually good service for Cusco

Reviewed October 3, 2013

After the waiter in the street had helped us find the local tour office we needed we went back to repay the favour. The upstairs restaurant does that clever thing of being compact but not making you feel cramped due to the views you have of the main Plaza de Armas.

My girlfriend and I went for a garlic bread and an avocado stuffed with chicken and veg for starters. We followed this with a meat feast pizza and a vegetarian pizza. Now, I know what you're thinking: that's not very Peruvian and you'd be right but we have just been to a Peruvian cooking class and have a couple of reservations at proper Peruvian places which I will review in due course. Anyway, back to the pizza: the base was lovely, perfectly thin and crispy and the toppings were all fresh and proper cuts of meat...this is not the case in many places who seem to use tinned mushrooms and processed meat rubbish which is bizarre for a country so rich in agriculture.

So, whilst this is in tourist central, I still felt you got value for money. The annoying thing was that we didn't realise there was a free salad bar (Harvester style for you Brits reading this) until we were walking out! Why the waiter didn't tell us I don't know but this would only have added to the perception of value had we got stuck into this too.

Price was S72 (£16, $26) which for 2 courses, salad bar for 2 and 2 soft drinks is pretty good in my book.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I went to this restaurant two times, mainly because it's just a nice place to sit down and have a nice meal. The ambience within the restaurant is good, and the great view of plaza de armas is a pretty nice addition!

The prices are a bit high (for Cusco, not plaza de armas), and the food is good but not great, yet I will definitely come back (when my family visits me) because of the nice interior and salad bar :)

A tip: do not ask the waiting staff about the wine, my "dry red" tasted like port mixed with water (as does a lot of Peruvian wine). If this description does not sound appealing to you, stay away from the house wine!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just stopped by to avoid the rain one afternoon, saw the grill and ordered a portion of t-bones and a bottle of wine. The plate came out with two huge steaks for only 24/s plus a visit to the salad bar. The meat was not the best cut in the world but perfectly cooked and tasty. The view from the balcony is just fantastic and the wine a Chilean Red for 35/s was good value too.
Only down side was I was asked 3 times to leave a tip, sorry, not my culture.