“Great views of Plaza de Armas, don't forget the free salad bar!”

El Meson de Espaderos
Ranked #140 of 727 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: American, Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great views of Plaza de Armas, don't forget the free salad bar!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

After the waiter in the street had helped us find the local tour office we needed we went back to repay the favour. The upstairs restaurant does that clever thing of being compact but not making you feel cramped due to the views you have of the main Plaza de Armas.

My girlfriend and I went for a garlic bread and an avocado stuffed with chicken and veg for starters. We followed this with a meat feast pizza and a vegetarian pizza. Now, I know what you're thinking: that's not very Peruvian and you'd be right but we have just been to a Peruvian cooking class and have a couple of reservations at proper Peruvian places which I will review in due course. Anyway, back to the pizza: the base was lovely, perfectly thin and crispy and the toppings were all fresh and proper cuts of meat...this is not the case in many places who seem to use tinned mushrooms and processed meat rubbish which is bizarre for a country so rich in agriculture.

So, whilst this is in tourist central, I still felt you got value for money. The annoying thing was that we didn't realise there was a free salad bar (Harvester style for you Brits reading this) until we were walking out! Why the waiter didn't tell us I don't know but this would only have added to the perception of value had we got stuck into this too.

Price was S72 (£16, $26) which for 2 courses, salad bar for 2 and 2 soft drinks is pretty good in my book.

• Hebrew first
Neede, The Netherlands
“Lovely restaurant, decent food”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I went to this restaurant two times, mainly because it's just a nice place to sit down and have a nice meal. The ambience within the restaurant is good, and the great view of plaza de armas is a pretty nice addition!

The prices are a bit high (for Cusco, not plaza de armas), and the food is good but not great, yet I will definitely come back (when my family visits me) because of the nice interior and salad bar :)

A tip: do not ask the waiting staff about the wine, my "dry red" tasted like port mixed with water (as does a lot of Peruvian wine). If this description does not sound appealing to you, stay away from the house wine!

Cairns, Australia
“Stopped for coffee, had a steak meal!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just stopped by to avoid the rain one afternoon, saw the grill and ordered a portion of t-bones and a bottle of wine. The plate came out with two huge steaks for only 24/s plus a visit to the salad bar. The meat was not the best cut in the world but perfectly cooked and tasty. The view from the balcony is just fantastic and the wine a Chilean Red for 35/s was good value too.
Only down side was I was asked 3 times to leave a tip, sorry, not my culture.

Santiago, Chile
“Excellent location”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The best of this restaurant is the location, is just in front of The Plaza de Armas (main City square). At lunch time, the view from the terrace is quiet nice. However, the quality of the food is regular, but it is Ok given the price.

Visited September 2013
Northern Virginia
“Ok Restaurant, Convenient Location”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

At the corner of Plaza de Armas, it is convenient if you are staying near the main square.
It was not too busy when we visited, although when we walked back and forth in the area we did get mildly annoyed with the solicitor outside who kept trying to get us to eat there.

Anyways, we ordered Parrillada for two, and we didn't need to wait too long for the food. The salad bar was included in case you do get tired of waiting. The meats that came out were of varying quality. Some meats were tender and YUMMY, but there were others that seemed overdone/burnt/dry. It was not bad but neither would I consider it great. The price was not too bad though--it is more affordable than some other restaurants around the main square. Don't order pastas here. It reminded me of Chef Boyardee.

I don't know that I'd come back--maybe if I was tired and didn't want to wait for a table elsewhere?

• Visited May 2013