“The most authentic for Peruvian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Chomba

La Chomba
Ranked #162 of 693 Restaurants in Cusco
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cusco, Peru
“The most authentic for Peruvian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Before discovering the Cusquenita, I used to take all my foreign guests to the Chomba for the authentic Peruvian dining experience. It´s setting in a back ally, the un-even floors and rustic setting are perfect in my opinion. However, not all of my guests agreed, it was a little too rustic for some; too noisy, too crowded and chaotic and too many locals drinking too many cervezas. So it really depends on your sense of adventure and tolerance for the off-path. High-brows from California might prefer the Cusquenita or the upscales in the Plaza de Armas. For me it was a great experience. However, while all their meat dishes are wonderful, their cuy preparation is a bit too greasy, with a distinct flavor that doesn’t work for me. I prefer Cuy from the coast.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank IntiSurTravelPeru

Winslow, United Kingdom
“I'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Well worth making the effort to find. Went with my daughter and a couple of Cusquenian friends a couple of times in 2009, and I'm going back next week. It is lively, friendly, seemingly highly authentic and gives good portions. Great value. Don't go if you want tablecloths, Maitre D's etc, it is in a run down courtyard, in a dark wood and plaster room, shared bench tables but with stacks of atmosphere.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank AFH1809
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic traditional Peruvian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Like the many of the other reviewers, my boyfriend and I went here to try cuy. This restaurant serves half cuy platters which was nice because it was a little bit cheaper (29 soles) to try the dish than at many of the other places we saw. We also ordered sopa de pecho which had really rich broth and a generous serving of carne de res. The cuy platter came with pasta, potatoes, and stuffed green peppers. We had so much food that we didn't even finish the 2 dishes-- if you ordered just the 1/2 cuy platter for 2 people, I think you'd have plenty of food. We also had fruitilla chicha which came in huge glasses and was only 3 soles each. Overall this place was a great value, I would definitely recommend.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Kate M
San Francisco, California
“A true local joint for cuy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

So glad we had a local friend take us here, I think we would've found the directions difficult since you have to walk down a road under construction and through some wooden planks. I found this place to be truly authentic with pretty good food. While I expected the skin on my cuy to be crispy, it was more on the soggy side (so maybe it was sitting out for a while). The house drink here are a gargantuan size (tasted a bit diluted too). The sides here were very good though. A local band had came in to provide some fun entertainment as well. Decent local place with very decent prices.

• Visited September 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Must Eat for Local Flavor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is the place to go if you're looking for delicious authentic Peruvian cuisine.

Five of us split two dishes of Cuy (guinea pig) and one order of Chicharones and it was more than enough food. And those dishes including three orders of chicha and two beers came to $100 soles. And it was all delicious!! I would absolutely go back here if I was back in Cusco.

I told our guide on the Inca Trail that we ate here and he confirmed that it was a really good local spot.

It's a bit removed but it's not too hard to find. Just keep the address with you so that you can ask for directions in case you get lost.

• Visited June 2012