“Must Eat for Local Flavor”

La Chomba Ajha Wasi
Ranked #149 of 761 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is the place to go if you're looking for delicious authentic Peruvian cuisine.

Five of us split two dishes of Cuy (guinea pig) and one order of Chicharones and it was more than enough food. And those dishes including three orders of chicha and two beers came to $100 soles. And it was all delicious!! I would absolutely go back here if I was back in Cusco.

I told our guide on the Inca Trail that we ate here and he confirmed that it was a really good local spot.

It's a bit removed but it's not too hard to find. Just keep the address with you so that you can ask for directions in case you get lost.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Asking in Cusco for a place where locals eat local food, we ended at La Chomba in Tullumayo st. I was so happy of finding this place! No fancy food, but real local. We arrived there decided on trying the Cuy, so even when we looked at the other options of the menu and asked the waiter to explain some of them, we had the guinea pig. I must recognise I had to avoid looking at the cuy´s eyes to eat it, found it very tasty but ended up eating more potatoes and my friend eating the cuy, but I wanted to try it , and the place completed the whole experience. So local food, local people, fast service, cheap.... all what I was expecting. Had my cuy, the potatoes where overcooked, but I didn´t mind

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Our guide from our Inca Trail hike told us about this restaurant. We had asked him where to find the best, authentic cuy and he highly recommended La Chomba. There are two locations, the one listed here on Av. Tullumayo, and another that is more southeast of the Plaza de Armas. Our hotel receptionist said the location at Av. Tullumayo is the original location and is the better of the two.

Just a note: this is not a high-class tourist restaurant. It is a neighbourhood eating establishment and frequented by locals, so if you are looking for a flashy, posh restaurant, go somewhere else. If you want really good food, large portions, at a reasonable cost, do come here --- but expect that it will not look shiny and new. As well, I think not all of the waiters can speak English, so be prepared to try to communicate in Spanish. Also, I don't think there were any vegetarian options.

They have a large menu, but my partner was intent on trying the cuy and I had the chicharrones (fried pork) and both were incredibly large portions and really tasty (though I have to say I liked the chicharrones more than the cuy). The cuy came as a half side of guinea pig on top of potatoes. As expected it tasted a bit gamey, but it was good. I highly recommend the chicharrones!!! I got four huge pieces of seasoned, fried pork on top of potatoes and bed of local (giant) corn. My mouth still waters when I think of that meal! It was so huge that I could only eat half of it (and I have a healthy appetite), so I wrapped up the other half to give to the first street person I came across. I also had a giant glass of chicha morada - delicious!

This restaurant closes relatively early, as the main meal of the day in Peru is usually at midday. On the day we went, the restaurant would close at about 7pm. The restaurant itself is a little difficult to find because you have to go into a courtyard that looks completely residential (there was laundry hanging up and kids playing with a kitten), but when you go through the archway in the wall look to your left and you will see the menu board. A waiter named Celso happened to be outside and was really helpful. We had wanted to come for dinner, and showed up at midday to check it out and see if we needed to make a reservation. Technically, we didn't need to reserve a seat, but we ended up reserving (and prepaying) for our dinner, as Celso explained they didn't want to run out of cuy. We were unsure of the whole thing, but went along with it. The total cost for both meals was around $20 US and we did get a receipt, so if it ended up being a scam, we figured it's only $20.

It was NOT a scam, and Celso was great! He met us when we arrived in the evening and checked in with us throughout our meal to answer any questions, tell us about local food and local customs, and was interested in us and where we came from. It was unexpectedly really great and I'm really glad our guide recommended this restaurant to us.

A note about COST: Cuy tends to be more expensive as it is a delicacy. The cuy cost around 35 soles, and the chicharrones around 17 soles. This is a deal, as cuy in the tourist restaurants cost about $35 US!

A note about ATMOSPHERE: I gave atmosphere a lower ranking just because it will not have the same ambiance as a tourist restaurant. However, the service was great and Celso made us feel really welcome.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I went for the guinea pig as its supposed to be a great place to go and try it. Wasn´t actually that keen on the meat itself but its something you´ve got to do. All the other food looked good and very reasonably priced

Reviewed October 22, 2011

My guide on the Via Ferrata took me and my friend there after our day excursion. He asked if we wanted to eat typical local Peruvian fare...not the spruced up kind. We said yes, of course. So that is what we got. HUGE portions! Rice, meat, potatos, chincha, etc. I was told to try cuy here, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, as I have a phobia of rodents. So anyways, nixed that. But I had some type of chicken dish and it was great. Staff was very friendly. They helped translate the menus which were on two large chalkboards. We ate at a very large long table and sat on benches. Locals all around and very busy. Try this place. And sooo affordable!