“A nice dinner but doesn’t warrant #1 rating”
Review of Le Soleil

Le Soleil
Ranked #8 of 727 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Le Soleil is the first restaurant gourmet French food in the city of Cusco. Proposes true flavors and wines of French culture, the only place where you can taste the classics of this kitchen, for example, rillettes, confit de canard, creme brulee. Offers an exclusive menu prepared only with fresh products according to market dishes available. In the space bar you can taste wine by the glass even the excellent French wines. The restaurant is open for all age groups and is also available for private events such as: Weddings, cocktails.
Dallas, Texas
“A nice dinner but doesn’t warrant #1 rating”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

After reading the Trip Advisor reviews about Café Soleil, my husband and I were very excited to try it. We both have traveled extensively throughout France and love French food. We arrived to a warm welcome from the owner and were promptly seated. The restaurant was clean and pleasant but lacked the décor that I would have expected of a restaurant rated so highly. On the owner’s suggestion, we ordered two glasses of champagne and settled in to read the menu. While I rarely turn down a tasting menu, Café Soleil’s lacked variety. The 5 course tasting menu offered escargot, 2 duck courses and 2 desserts. Uninspired, we opted for the a la carte, ordering the escargot, steak tartar (although the menu said it was unavailable), the duck a l’orange and the grilled trout. Before receiving our first courses, we were granted a degustacion of pumpkin ginger soup which was very well received. Creamy and comforting with just a subtle air of ginger to create a gentle heat. The escargot were plump and covered in butter and garlic, just as they should be, and the steak tartar was a good (although not great) rendition. Trout, which is the fish of the region, was very nice and the duck a l’orange was cooked perfectly. The chef, who we were told was a Michelin star trained chef, successfully rendered all the fat so the leg was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. At 79 sol, the duck was the most expensive item on the menu but still well priced by US standards. We were less successful with the wine list. Although the wine list was exhaustive, fewer than 10% of the wines were actually available for purchase. We opted for a Chateau Neuf Du Pape at a price of approximately 350 sol (150 USD) which was quite nice. However, we took issue with how the wines were served. In both the instance of the champagne and the bottle, the owner showed us the unopened bottles at our table and then took them away to open and pour out of eye sight, leaving us to wonder if we actually received what we had ordered. Overall, the dinner was a nice experience but we have found other restaurants in Cusco that are more deserving of the #1 rating. And, we were a bit surprised when we received our bill and learned that each glass of champagne was the same price as the duck entrée (roughly 70 sol each).

Oh, and be forewarned. Le Soleil only accepts Visa so, if you use any other credit cards or your Visa is finicky when traveling as mine often is, come prepared to pay cash.

• Visited March 2014
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear S0ulshine from Texas,

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a detailed review about le Soleil. We appreciate your comments and they will help us to improve our service: I have already addressed few points with my team.
It was a great pleasure to serve your family personally and I was very happy to hear your comment when eating your food cf: "it was the best duck in my entire life" you said (by the way the duck is 69 soles and is not the most expensive item on the menu ;)).

I have to clarify few points which you raised in your review:
- I did explain to you that we are waiting for some wine delivery and I did apologize for missing positions 10 out of 30 which is a bit more than 10% you mention
- I suggested to you a bottle of Graves Chateau Ferrande at 199 soles (72 US$) or a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape at 314 soles (112 US$) and you choose the second one
- I do not find elegant and practical to open any bottle at the table of our customers: I do open every bottle at the serving table which is visible from any point of the restaurant and your table was located literally 2 meters from the serving table; your suspicion is unfounded and I am very sad that you even could think about any cheating from my side

I am however very pleased that overall your dinner, like you said, was a nice experience.

My best regards to all of you,

• Polish first
Monrovia, CA
“Fantastique!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Was our first and most delicious meal in Cusco. Loved chatting with the owner, the impeccable service was appreciated, and the food wonderful. Everything we tasted from the amuse bouches to the desserts was delicious. Treat yourself to a meal here!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank AllAboutAdventure
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for your visit in December and thank you for such a nice comment.
I am glad that you keep a good souvenir from your visit at le Soleil.
You mention our impeccable food and service: we are happy to know that in both "categories" you were satisfied, this is our goal.
I will talk about your review with my staff and I am sure they will be happy to learn that someone is appreciating their efforts.

Cusco, Peru
“A very romantic lunch”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We heard good reviews about Le Soleil and we couldn't miss it..! it was a great lunch, very romantic and sweet.
The menu we choose was simply outstanding, delicious and very well presented, also a la carte menu. Great selection of French wines and champagne, cleaned and elegant place. Very well recommended..!
We’ll go back soon!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank katyaperu
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Katya,

Many thanks for your visit and thank you for such a nice review!
I remember well your little group having lunch and it was a pleasure to serve you and have you as guests. I am glad that your expectations were met and you thing about coming again to le Soleil ;)
Thank you for mentionning the decor and service.
I really hope to see you again soon (please do not wait for a next special event ;))

My very best regards to all four.

Arthur Marcinkiewicz
“Amazing!!!!!! The Beat in Cusco!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Perfect! Not expensive by US standards at all. Friendly service and presentation that blows your mind. Awesome wine list with reasonable prices. The tables are spaces far apart so everyone has their own space. Decor is tasteful and we sat by the kitchen and could see the chefs creating works of art. For those who have made negative comments, they must have been smoking something or posing just got back from hiking the Incan trail because this was truly the best restaurant we have eaten at in Peru and we ate at Central in Lima(top 50 in the world) so that's pretty amazing. Total bill for 2 was 391 soles or $144 US and that included a bottle of wine, two appetizers and the duck and filet entree. Incomparable! In the US this would easily have been $300!

1 Thank FoodiLover33305
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Tommy,

It was a great pleasure to host you and your friend in le Soleil! Thank you for your visit and your nice words about us. I am so glad that you loved our food and wine; it was nice to see you friend loving better and better our French wine ;))
Your happy faces were our daily bonus for the hard work, thank you!
If, by any chance, you come back to Cusco one day please do not forgot to visit le Soleil.

London, United Kingdom
“Expensive but quality ”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. It wasn't cheap, but the quality was exceptionally high. Worth it as a treat.

marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear John,

Many thanks for your visit and the great words about le Soleil.
I remember your visit and our little conversation so pleasant, thank you.
We are so happy to learn that your experience en le Soleil was so nice ;))
If you have an opportunity to come one day to Cusco please visit us, it will be a honor to host you again.