“One of the best restaurant in Cusco”
Review of Le Soleil

Le Soleil
Ranked #41 of 821 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Le Soleil is the first restaurant gourmet French food in the city of Cusco. Proposes true flavors and wines of French culture, the only place where you can taste the classics of this kitchen, for example, rillettes, confit de canard, creme brulee. Offers an exclusive menu prepared only with fresh products according to market dishes available. In the space bar you can taste wine by the glass even the excellent French wines. The restaurant is open for all age groups and is also available for private events such as: Weddings, cocktails.
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a 7 course meal at this restaurant, it took about 2 hours to finished dinner. it's a bit too long after a full day tour. The food was good, but it's a bit over price compare to the local standard.

marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your visit and the review and thank you for considering us as one of the best restaurants in Cusco.
We are glad that you found our food good; sorry if for you 2h of service for 7 courses menu was too long; for our credit, we do serve "slow food" ;)) please do not hesitate to tell your time restrictions or wishes to go faster or slower concerning the service.
We do hope to be able to host you again and share some more good food with you.

My best regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Amazing. Exceptional. Fabulous. You pick the superlative. A fantastic place for dinner. Superb, attentive service and excellent food. A French restaurant that keeps to French traditions but adds in fresh local ingredients to give you a fantastic experience. The staff are very helpful in choosing a dinner if you need help. Picking from the 5-course or 7-course side of the menu or just creating your own, you will not go wrong. For our meals, we had the 5-course meal which was nicely balanced, the beef tenderloin which was cooked to perfection, and topped with Foie Gras - fabulous. The duck was superb. Paired with a recommended bottle of wine, our dinner was everything we hoped for and more.

In addition, the owner spent a few moments talking with us about the food, the restaurant and our common experiences. What a fabulous host!

marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Family,

What a pleasure to read your review! Thank you for your visit and thank you for all those superlatives: we are so happy to know that you enjoyed le Soleil.
For me personaly your dinner was a nice moment and thank you for our very interesting conversation; as you said, exchange about food, wine and travel is so pleasant especially (for me) when you can do it every night with different people from accross the world.
I do hope your journey back to Colorado was safe and if one day you pass again by Cusco please visit us: it will be a honor to host you.

My very best regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Can't rave enough about the food. I live in Cusco and have eaten at just about all the so called good restaurants and this one is consistently by a VERY big margin the best. At our latest visit for our 10th wedding anniversary it couldn't have been better. The steak tartare starter was brilliant the duck awesome and creme brulee unbeliavable. It's a bit more expensive than other restaurants but not actually by that much $3-$5 a dcourse - except maybe the wine but then as with just about everything here the wine is so much better than the pretty pitiful offerings (and expensive) offerings you get elsewhere around Cusco.
The duck was our biggest surprise as there was so much of it and so flavoursome, I was expecting a few shreds of breast and a lot of bone but there was loads of breast beautifully sliced and presented along with half the duck still on the bone.

If you're coming to Cusco and want a very good meal then you won't get better than Le Soliel.

All I can say is thanks Arturo it was brilliant.

marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Paul (is that you?),

Thank you very much fo ryour review: you made my day ;)))
It was again a big pleasure to serve you and thank you for choosing le Soleil for such a great and important event for you!
I am so happy to know that you enjoyed our duck (chef' speciality) and you (me too ;)) value French wine as the best.
Thank you for your recomendation to other TA readers!
We do really hope to see you soon again (check ongoing promotion) and be able to contribute to your culinary happiness.

My very best regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Whenever we travel we always have a look on TA to see where to eat, and this especially got us excited – the number one rated restaurant in Cuzso is a French restaurant, what more could we ask for?

The host is extremely friendly and the staff efficient and the menu looked promising. I was very surprised at the décor that is often mentioned on the TA reviews, as the evening we dined at Le Soliel, there was none, bar for the one back wall that is covered in a huge print of the Paris bridge, which is very pretty, but that and a small mirror hanging on one of the opposite walls, in mind does not account for the review of “charming décor and ambience”. For me this is just too little to cut the ‘less-is-more’ trend.

I had the butternut and ginger soup with truffle oil – I really enjoyed the addition of the ginger but could not detect the truffle, but a very nice soup as butternut soups go, and very nicely plated. We also had the snails which were just in a very plain herb butter sauce, I think perhaps something more could be done with this especially on the presentation side?
We went on to have the ratatouille, duck and avo spirals. Again nice, but nothing spectacular, or with flavours that want to make you go back for more.

I absolutely love a chocolate fondant, but it has to be perfect, and unfortunately this wasn’t. it was definitely overcooked. None of the delicious oozing chocolate lave that one expects in a great fondant. An overcooked fondant for any restaurant is a no-no; and overcooked fondant for a French restaurant, rated as the best restaurant in Cuzco, a BIG no-no.

Perhaps we were just unlucky? Or perhaps the fact the there was only one other table of two patrons should also indicate that things might be slipping…

3  Thank Karin H

Trip Advisor says: "We encourage travelers to take the whole of a property's reviews into account when judging it. If most other reviews are positive, travelers are likely to see a negative as a mere aberration".

Dear Karin H
(No name, no city, no country??? strange)

Thank you for your comment about le Soleil even if, you can imagine, we were not so happy to learn your conclusions.
I am happy that you found me charming, thanks.
Your review contains 7 lines about the decor: I do hope you were not traumatized by it..
The pumpkin and ginger cream, which you liked, has 1 o 2 drops of truffle oil which I bring from France, sorry you missed it.
Snails are served with a typical Burgundy recipe: garlic, parsley and butter (nothing else) and they are served ready to eat (no shells) exactly to avoid any accident with manipulation. I think that even if we served them with shells you would be not happy...
Since your plates came back to kitchen empty and I do not remember any complains, I am sorry to learn that you had to eat absolutely big no no fondant. We are not perfect and it could happen that your fondant was too cooked: why did not send it back so we could "repair" and offer you a new one or something else?
As a great traveller you probably know that between 15 of November and 20 of December in Cusco there is a low season. If you would came 10 days later the restaurant was full.
And the last one: "things might be slipping"... Have you been in our restaurant before? Can you compare our efforts since 2011? Do you know challenges of cooking in Cusco? I say no no no.
Please do not draw conclusions so fast based only on one fondant and your personal taste for decoration.
And thank you for your mail which, by the way, did not help me a lot.

I hope you are doing well, regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were having our anniversary dinner and it was amazing. The food was impeccable and we have both been to 5 star restaurants throughout the US. The service was great and the owner was very amiable and made us feel very comfortable and welcome.

However, we got sick early around 3 am that morning. We were so sick we didn't think that we would be able to make it out of cusco on our flight that morning. Luckily we had come prepared with medication and that was able to hold us to Lima. Then in lima we had to go to the infirmary and my boyfriend missed his flight. Thankfully we both bought travelers insurance.

Now I am positive that such a high quality restaurant would never serve tap water, but after the fact it was either the water or the food. And since the water was in a pitcher and not opened in front of us there is no 100% way of knowing which it was.

I would definitely recommend going here. Just get bottled water if possible. I think we were just unlucky.

1  Thank Katebenesch
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Kate,

First of all I am so sorry to learn that your journey back home was so painful. I would like to thank you for your visit and for your comment about le Soleil. The first part of your review is great and thanks you for that and thank you for your recommendation.

Concerning the second part of your review:
- you can imagine that I would NEVER take a risk to serve other than mineral, safe water so your problem is not coming from our water; by the way the sparkling one is coming in bottle for obvious reason and the still in pitcher for logistic reason (less bottles and cleaner environment);
- food poisoning effects (out of allergies) can show up any time between 24 and 72 hours; it is very uncommon that they appear so quickly (in your case 2-3 hours);
- if I remember well, you had a beef tenderloin tartar (raw meat): being foreigner (me included) we do not have the same bacteria in our stomach like local people to digest some local raw ingredients; 3 more tables had tartar and we have checked: no one had any problem (all of them are locals)

Thank you again for being objective and sorry for your problems even if I am not 100% sure they come from our side.

Take care and get better, my best regards,