“Excellent French Food in Cusco”
Review of Le Soleil

Le Soleil
Ranked #10 of 707 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Le Soleil is the first restaurant gourmet French food in the city of Cusco. Proposes true flavors and wines of French culture, the only place where you can taste the classics of this kitchen, for example, rillettes, confit de canard, creme brulee. Offers an exclusive menu prepared only with fresh products according to market dishes available. In the space bar you can taste wine by the glass even the excellent French wines. The restaurant is open for all age groups and is also available for private events such as: Weddings, cocktails.
Toronto
“Excellent French Food in Cusco”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had the best duck confit @ Le Soleil. The service is excellent. The price is considered to be good value based on North America standards.

Visited May 2013
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear JJ517,

Thank your very much for taking time to write your review and thank you for your kind words.
it was a pleasure to host you and I am happy that you enjoyed the food, the service and the prices.
If one day you come back to Cusco please do stop by le Soleil, we will be pleased to host you again.

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“A perfect birthday dinner”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Le Soleil certainly doesn't need another great review to ensure it stays at the top as one of Cusco's best restaurants. But I just can't help myself! It really is that good. I had been curious about Le Soleil for a while, so decided it would be a good choice for a birthday dinner with my husband. And we were so glad we made that choice! Everything was perfect - the food, the service, the ambience. And such great value for the price! We spent a little over $100 for a bottle of french wine, 2 apps, 2 mains, 1 amazing creme brûlée, a coffee, unlimited sparkling water for the table, plus tip. This top-notch fine-dining experience would cost at least double anywhere else in the world. The food is both delicious and beautifully presented. And Artur is a gracious host/owner. He and his staff are attentive without being too intrusive. I love the minimal decor and the fact that the tables are well-spaced out for a little bit of privacy. It is sophisticated fine dining without the stuffy atmosphere. And even though Artur and the staff didn't know that it was my birthday, they still managed to make the experience so special. Such a perfect birthday dinner. I loved it! Merci beaucoup Le Soleil. Nos vemos pronto!

1 Thank Solfish
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Solfish,

When you come in the morning to the office and good news is waiting for you, your day is already better: this is what happened to me this morning ;))

Thank you very much for your kind review about le Soleil and your dinner experience with us.
Your appreciation is so important to us: it helps to go ahead and make any necessary efforts to offer decent food and service and share our passion with all our customers.

I am happy and proud to have participated in a positive way to your so special day! Thank you for loving our food, drink, decor and prices; we always look for balance in every detail and if we succeed it makes us very happy.

I do hope to host you again soon; all my team and myself we wish you again a great happy birthday!

London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food, excellent service!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Based on reviews and recommendations we decided to book a table at Le Soleil and were not disappointed! The very welcoming owner let us pick our own table and then we decided to go for the 7 course tasting menu. The owner / waiter also gave us a full explanation of each dish. The food was excellent and beautifully presented. Definitely worth a visit and well deserved ranking.

1 Thank James P
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Sr. James,

Merci for your nice comment about le Soleil.I am glad that your experience was happy and you enojoyed our food and wine.
It was a plesure to host you and personaly serve your couple. Thank you for your recommendation to others and thank you for your visit and timeto evaluate us on TA.

I hope everything is going well with your trip.

Spring Grove, Illinois
“Best dessert ever”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Before leaving I read reviews on Trip Advisor for several restaurants and decided I had to try this one for my Creme Brûlée. I have had this dessert in many many places I have traveled and this was the very best in the world. We entered to a very quiet elegant restaurant and asked if it was OK if we had just dessert and the owner was so gracious. He showed to a table and talked to us about all the offerings on the menu. He continued on as to why he had settled in Cusco and we just had the most delightful end to our evening. My Creme Brûlée was just perfectly done. If was actually light on the inside and perfectly crunchy on the top. It is such a perfect representation of an elegant French restaurant in the middle of South America. Unbelievable. Delightful. Delicious. Thank you so much! I hope someday to return.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Carole517
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Carole,

Thank you very much for your comment and thank you as well for your visit.
It was a pleasure to open my restaurant for you and serve to you your prefered desert, creme brulee. I was pleased to see that you liked it very much and after our chat I understud that your are a desert specialist ;)) We take your compliment and rating as a good sign.
Me too, I do hope to see you one day again and offer you an other creme brulee or chocolate volcano ;))

Pls say hello to your husband; my best regards,

Buenos Aires
“Outstanding quality, stingy portions”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

On a free night in Cusco, I decided to check out La Soleil because of its ranking on Tripadvisor. It's just a short walk from the new Marriott so I made a reservation for a Sunday night dinner. The owner also served as the maître d and was quite friendly and welcoming. It's quite a small restaurant with no more than 10 table, all spaced far away from each other, affording privacy if that is what is wanted. All of the wines are imported from France (and subject to huge import tax) and there are no beers on the drink menu. I ordered a beef tartare for an appetizer and it was exquisite and quite large for an appetizer (see more in the review about my title being "stingy"). Before the appetizer, they deliver a small sampling of pumpkin soup which was quite tasty as well. After the appetizer, I decided to try a glass of the house white wine. The owner brought a bottle over to me and it was nearly empty. He poured what was left into my glass before the bottle was empty - this was equivalent to about 2/3 of a normal glass and he never came back with a fresh bottle to top it off. Even stranger, the bottle had apparently been sitting out and the wine wasn't the appropriate temperature (almost room temperature). I found this rather odd for such a highly rated restaurant.

For the main course, I had the Andean trout. The presentation was very impressive and the quality and texture of the trout and accompaniment was amazing, however, the portion itself was embarrassingly small. I am a regular traveler and know all about haute cuisine and what size portions to expect, but literally, the portion of trout I was given was no more than 3 inches long and 1.5 inches wide.

The quality and presentation of the food definitely warrants five stars, but the extremely small portion of my entrée (not the appetizer) and awkward situation over the wine serving brings to down to three in my book. One glass of house wine, appetizer and small main course cost me 120 soles (about $46 USD).

1 Thank Matthewfromct
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write such a large and detailed review about your experience with le Soleil. I think, I do understand that it was not that happy... Sorry about it.

Since I was personally serving you and I remember very well your visit, I would like to respond with few more details:
- I felt a bit of angry from your side when I told you that we do not sell beer and we do sell only French wine (sorry this is my choice) and you did not accept to have wine instead
- when you finally decided to have a glass of wine, I brought to you an open bottle with a sufficient quantity of wine inside: indeed, this bottle was open before you came to serve other customers by glass; as a regular traveller, you certainly know that there are two measures for a glass of wine: 10ml and 12,5ml, in our case we do serve 12,5ml for 23 soles; concerning the temperature: myself and other customers did not find the temperature wrong, however when I have asked you if everything was ok, you could use this moment to comment about the wine and I could take an action to satisfy you better, this is what I usually do in a restaurant...
- the beef tartar is an entree and not an appetizer and it has 100gr of beef tenderloin; some people say it is too big some people say it is too small: next to your table customers found it perfect...
- Andean trout: again I have to disagree: we offer 80gr of brandade and 120gr of trout and some vegetables which makes at least 200gr to eat; this is a standard portion in every gourmet restaurant and I do not recall any customer complaining about this particular course; there has to be a first time...
- your bill for steak tartar, Andean trout filet, unlimited water and glass of white wine was 109 soles (43.6$) and you gave me a tip of 11 soles (if I am not happy I do not leave tips...)

Having said that, I do thank you for your visit and I do apologize again, if your expectations were
not met. I am glad that you liked the quality of our food.

Best regards,