“A comfortable, convenient place to stay.”

LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco
Ranked #21 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed February 10, 2013

First, ignore the swimming pool rating; there is no pool but (Trip Advisor: fix this!) having ticked one circle it doesn't allow one to delete it.) Los Portales was an ideal hotel for us: Diverse clientele --we avoid "accidental tourist" hotels when travelling abroad--friendly, helpful staff, and excellent buffet breakfast. The urn with fresh--and frequently brewed--coca tea is visible from reception; it really helps in dealing with altitude. We didn't need oxygen but know it is available. The staff is friendly and helpful; English is spoken. The lounge has a large screen TV and several computers; internet service is free and high-speed. Our room on the 3rd floor faced the interior courtyard /atrium and we heard noise from the ground floor once or twice but it was not enough to keep up awake. The hotel is walking distance from the Plaza de Armas (central square) and many points of interest. It is also on a main street so it is easy to grab a cab. If you are going to Machu Picchu, the hotel will store your bags in a secure room while you are gone. We would definitely stay here again when we return to Cusco.

Room Tip: I would ask for an interior room because the street noise it likely to be louder and more sustained...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tsmada
Zrodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear guest.

Thank you very much for your excellent comment about Los Portales Hotel and for the recommendation about the acoustic isolation in the third floor, which we already fixed.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel was arrange by our Machu Pichu trekking travel agency.
Very welcoming lobby with hot tea round the clock. Two PC next room with comfortable sofas and nice decoration make this hotel a rare find in Cusco.
Modern elevator with spiral staircase surround it make it quite unique.
Friendly staff made us feel at home.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the street, as the hotel is right at the street front and can be noisy in the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank James N

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your wonderful words about Los Portales and we hope to have you again with us very soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Very clean, comfortable, short walk to plaza de armas and the breakfast buffet was excellent Also, is located close distance to many other businesses, shopping and convenience stores.

The only complaint I had is that I when I arrived at check in, the staff needed the andean entry card (that document the give you at the airport when you arrive from international flights). I didn't know that it was going to be needed and I left it in Lima at my friends house I didn't want to lose it travelling to cusco, machu pichu etc). To make the long story short they wanted to charge additional fees (tax) because I didn't have this card. I said, but look at my passport stamp is from 4 days ago when I arrived in Peru but they didn't care. My Peruvian friend was with me and she had her Peruvian National DNI which according to hotel staff there was no difference. Well, after negotiating we agreed to meet in the middle and I was going to end up paying half of tax amount. Next morning at check out, the same check in employee wasn't there. I ended up paying the extra tax in it entirely and they said is because your Peruvian friend was in the reservation and they charge that fee to nationals. I mean come on, now they changed the story on me. I feel they only wanted to charge me more.

If it wasn't for that little detail I would've give them a 5 star.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sdnylz

Dear guest.

Thank you very much for your excellent comment and for having stayed with us.

The Andean Migration Card it is a requirement according to law.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here before and after our trip to Machu Piccu. We all had altitude difficulties the first day; Coca tea and food helped, oxygen too for my wife. Very extensive breakfast buffet, including puffed kiwichia. We had one room facing the street, another facing the pretty alleyway in back. Room has smoke detector, minibar, desk with lamp and wifi, chair, flatscreen tv, closet, safe, phone, and mirror (look in the closet). It does not have a safe, end table, or sprinkler. Pretty close to walk to the main square, or to shopping, and much quieter.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank McHenryDad

Dear guest.

Thank you very much for your excellent comment and for having stayed with us.

We hope to have you again, very soon at Los Portales Hotel.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

A good hotel with friendly staff. The location was ok but next time would stay closer to the main square area. A bit of a walk to cicciolina our favourite cusco restaurant. It does specialise in tours which can mean crowded breakfast. Clean and comfortable although potentially not entirely quiet between rooms. Tour group people though early to bed early to rise sort of groups therefore quiet at night noisier in the morning. Breakfast good. Rooms adequate in size but not large.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear guest.

Thank you for the comment about our hotel, in regard to noise we have acoustic windows in order to give it a better service.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

My Husband, I and a Friend stayed here for 3 nights total.
On arrival we where greeted warmly at the door and the friendly staff got us checked in. Our room was on the 4th floor the first 2 nights. The Bell hope took all 3 of our bags then showed us to the elevator. It was a small elevator so there was no room for him and our bags. To our surprise he met us as the elevator door opened on the 4th floor. He had ran up the stairs and got there the same time as we did. After a bit of a rest to get used to the elevation we wandered down the the lobby area and where greeted warmly and asked if wanted some coca tea. They brought us our tea as we found a place to sit. We sat in comfy couches sipped tea, and planned our Cusco adventures. We felt very spoiled and special by the treatment we received the entire stay. The room where always sparkling clean, the linens crisp and, the beds comfortable. The food was always good. We had breakfast every morning and dinner/late night snacks and drinks. The restaurant staff was equally as great as the hotel staff.
We left for one night for our Machu Pichue trip and on our return we where greeted as warmly and showed to our room on the 3rd floor witch was as clean and nice.
We would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to friends and family planing a visit to Cusco.

Thanks for adding great memories to our vacation.

Karen

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with your windows open be sure to request a room on the outside wall not the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest.

Many thanks for taking the time to write about our hotel we have it back very soon ... !!!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights last week. And we loved it! Location is great just across The Koricancha Temple, and a few blocks away from the Main Square. Rooms were excellent for the price (breaksfast was included) and specially very clean, the bathroom was renewed and worked perfectly (marble on floors and walls). Service was excellent and all the people working there were very friendly, specially Raul who kept pleasing every request we had. He got us a power cable for my wife´s iphone, that she forgot at home, and some pills for me even at 11pm at night. He´s the greatest. If you have a problem ask for him. We believe we found our returning hotel in Cusco.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renzo W

Dear Guest.

Thank you for staying with us and for dedicating a time for writing a comment about our hotel.

We hope to have you again at Los Portales Hotel.

Best Regards,