“Good Value Option in Cusco”
Review of Mama Simona Hostel

Mama Simona Hostel
Ranked #6 of 455 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good Value Option in Cusco”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Mama Simona was the cheapest out of five places we stayed during our trip in Peru. Our room with a shared bathroom was clean and cozy. The reviews about the rooms being noisy is definitely accurate. At 6:30 AM, the housekeeper would clean the bathroom outside of our room, which I'm not complaining about. However, it sounded like she was cleaning inside of our room. The window from our room into the hallway didn't help.

The bathroom was always clean, and the showers were hot, which was quite a relief. I can definitely see the importance of a hot shower while in Cusco!

The fresh baked bread and jam in the morning was really good. Much better than other breads we had at our other hostels. The location is great. Just a few minute walk from the Plaza de Armas, and not up a steep hill like the hotels in the San Blas neighborhood. You will appreciate the relatively flat walk at 12,000 feet.

The only negative thing to mention is that the atmosphere was very strange. I'm not the type of person to stay at a party hostel (don't worry, Mama Simona is definitely NOT a party hostel), but the lack of conversation between the guests was really weird. There would be a group of people sitting in the main area, and no one would be talking to each other. I mean, not even one word. Maybe it was just the guests during my stay.

Overall, I would recommend Mama Simona as a quiet, good value option in Cusco.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cassie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the best, the bed was fantastic. Best on our travel thus far. Day staff was okay. Shared bathroom was clean. The bad: My boyfriend and I arrived back at the hostel at 2a.m on a Saturday night. Before we left we double checked that it was a 24hr reception. We waited on the street for almost 40mins buzzing and knocking before we finally "woke up"? the night desk man to open the door. And who knows how many other guests. Embarrassing and Unacceptable! Thank god I was not standing on the street alone I at least had my boyfriend with me. We were to scared to get locked out again the next night so we cut our evening short. Also when we left we where told the omelet was 5.50$ not 3.50$ as it clearly states on the board in the kitchen. Also the WiFi only works in the common area...(sometimes). Other then the comfortable bed my boyfriend and myself had a terrible experience and will not be recommending.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dordrecht
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed here before and after my Machu Picchu trek and would go back. Had a double room and thought it was good value. Clean rooms and good shower (apart for 1 day when the water pressure was low). The breakfast is basic but quite nice, the bread is freshly baked and I really liked it. The main area is very nice and the fact that you can store your bags in big lockers while you are on a trek is great. Very friendly people working here as well, always willing to answer questions or help, working quite hard it seems. Close to the market (for daily fresh fruit juices :P) and Plaza de Armas.

Two reasons why I do not rate it 5 stars:
- Firstly, the wifi signal is not very consistent. Even in the main area it does not always work. You can connect to it, but you won't be able to use it.
- I doubt there are any rooms where you do not hear other people. If you have a room close to the main area it basicly feels like the people in that area are in your room. You can hear everything quite loud. With another room there is a lot of noise from the street or people in the hallway. The walls are really thin. They are supposed to be quiet after 10 pm, but this is not always the case and not enforced.

In the end, the positives really outweigh the negatives and it is a place to recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hostel for a total of 4 nights, 3 in a row and then a single night later. It was definitely my favorite hostel that we stayed in during our trip to Peru.

It is a quiet place, definitely not a party hostel, and the thing that really did it for me was that you can borrow hair dryers! I never bring a hair dryer when traveling, it always seems like a waste of space and you never know the power situation, but I really loved borrowing their hair dryers! They were affordable, very close to the Plaza de Armas, I think a 5 minute walk, and even closer to the man market in Cuzco, San Pedro Market, which became one of our favorite places to visit in the city. It seemed like a very safe area, we did alot of walking around at night.

We asked the hostel staff a million questions about everything under the sun and they always accommodated us. Their English was not always the best, but we were able to get all our questions answered, and everyone was very nice.

We didn't use the kitchen to do any cooking, but we definitely saw alot of people who did.

Breakfasts were the standard bread and butter and jam, teas, and you can get an omelette for a extra cost of I think 3 soles. My husband did this one day and really liked his.

My only complaint is that, on the first night, the music in the lobby was playing a little too loudly, and our room was right over the lobby, so I had to use earplugs to get to sleep. However, this didn't happen any of the other nights we were there, so I'm going to go ahead and give them an Excellent rating.

Showers were hot, though not the best water pressure in the world, but that's really par for the course. In my experience, the more money you put into lodging, the more water pressure you get, so it's kind of up to you how important that is. As long as there is some hot water, you should be ok.

In summary, if you'd like a quiet, chill, clean, cozy, affordable place to stay while in Cuzco, I'd definitely recommend Mama Simona!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby if you want to keep things really quiet. However, when we had a r...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed in Mama Simona for 3 nights in June. The hotel common area looked nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. We booked a double room, which was rather basic - but of course it was perfectly fine with us. The room was very clean - what unfortunately I wouldn´t say about bathroom, which was rather mouldy. However, the biggest problem was the cold - it was really, really cold in the room and taking shower was almost impossible. Even if one could manage to wait for the hot water, it was just a torture to get back to the room. I slept with almost all my Mach Picchu trek clothes on - even woolen socks - and still shiwering. Due to the cold, we couldn´t get proper sleep. Friends of ours complained about the cold and got a heater - but apparently there were no more of those available.
In the bathroom, there was no glass on the small window - so it was just freezing all the time.

Apart from the cold, everything was nice. Breakfast was OK and general atmosphere and appearance of the hostel very nice. There was a computer with free internet for use and free wifi in the room. They also offered a chance to leave the bags in the lockers - however you had to have your own lock or buy one.

So overall, a very pleasant hostel - if only not for the cold.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cusco, Peru
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay here! Fantastic and super helpful staff. Nice room, clean and plenty of hot water. Great location in Cusco, close to everything and the big market but on a quiet side street. Kitchen has lots of stuff so easy to make a nice meal here. Great prices, so overall excellent value.

Stayed May 2014
Lima
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I have been over 2 weeks in this hostel and let me tell you something ... you will love this place, clean rooms, friendly staff, adorable breakfast and free also, I recommend you this place by far in Cusco if you do not want to spend a lot of money in a 3 start hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo