“left the place after 15 minutes”
Review of Mama Simona Hostel

Mama Simona Hostel
Ranked #6 of 462 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Aarau, Switzerland
“left the place after 15 minutes”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

they wanted to charge us for the room more then they offert at hostelworld (special tax...)and had just the dorm left and not the privat we booked. there are other places in cusco.

the ambiente was nice poor was just the service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MamaSimonaHostel, Manager at Mama Simona Hostel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Simon,

Thanks for your feedback, it's very valuable to us. Please accept our apologies for misreading your reservation. Probably we didn't understand each other well, but there's no "special tax" that we apply to our guests. I admit we were guilty for overbook though, but since September we are working hard on improving our management system. We've enabled new software which allows us to keep better track of all incoming bookings to ensure the situation does not repeat in the future.

We hope you had great time in Cusco inspite of the incident.
Safe travels,
Marianella Mosquera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights, really lovely staff, very helpful and friendly. We stayed in a double room then moved to a dorm, both were great. Beds very clean and comfortable, nice warm duvets and hot showers. Free tea and coffee all day and use of internet. Breakfast was good. I would recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Cusco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah W
London, UK
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having spent a few nights in Wild Rover, I was desperate to get away from there and go somewhere that was quiet, clean, and hot showers. Mama Simona ticked all the boxes! The staff are so friendly and helpful. The sheets on the beds were clean, you can even smell that they are clean. I love that they have put a plastic cover over the mattress, and then the sheet on top (to keep the mattress clean). Very comfy beds (a little nosey when you move around but thats a minor thing), and hot showers ALL THE TIME!. I stayed in the 8 bed dorm and there was enough space in the room to put bags around but there are big lockers to put valuables or whatever (bring your own padlock)
The breakfast was bread rolls (still quite soft too), butter, jam, tea, coffee and fresh orange juice (but sometimes it didnt taste so good). For an extra cost of 3.50 soles, you can get a scrambled egg (or fried ), which was very good. I was so relieved to be at Mama Simona after a bad experience at Wild Rover. This is NOT party hostel but fairly social enough to meet other travellers. There are 2 computers but they are not very fast. I used the WIFI as I have a netbook, the WIFI kept on cutting off, but when I told reception about it, the guy re started the box and it seemed to work fine after that, even in the dorm.
They charge a little more for laundry, I found a cheaper place just down the road for a little less adn was excellant!
There is also a kitchen, it looked fairly well equiped and clean. I didnt cook there but a few guests did. I came back after visiting Manu, at 8:30pm, very tired, in need of a bed and shower, and when I checked in, the 8 bed dorm (the cheapest one) was full even though I reserved it a few days before I left. The lady on reception, Diane, gave me a 4 bed dorm for the same price as the 8 bed !! That was very kind of her. Also, for you ladies, there is a hairdryer in reception which you can use for free, justbring it back when done. Very handy! I wasnt well for a few days before I went to Manu, and being fairly quiet, it was a good place for me to recover ( I couldnt have done this if it was Wild Rover!)
Its not far from one of the main squares and the walk to the hostel at night is very safe, I had no problems. Theres 24 hr reception and someone has to let you in/out so its secure.
Only minor complaint was the stary dogs outside barking in the morning and night, but this was not the whole time I was there. At a certain point they would stop so wasnt during the night.
Overall I loved this hostel and would stay there again. Thoroughly recommend!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sona
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We booked this hostel prior to our trip to Peru. Their reservation agents were very helpful. They kindly e-mailed me a couple of times with answers to all my questions and requests.

As soon as we arrived we sensed a very homy feeling. The lobby area is nice and spacious, but the room wasn't quite what we expected. Small is one thing, but tiny is another. It could barely fit the bed. We felt like trapped in a matchbox. Even the bathroom seemed bigger. Maybe we had the bad luck of not getting a comfortable room. At least it was clean and had hot water.

They have a fee for towels and breakfast extras (ham, chees slices, etc...). And watch it when paying at check out. They tried to charge us an amount in sols that was not equivalent to the amount in dollars shown when we reserved thorough the web. We noticed and told that wasn't the rate we reserved. They claimed they never had available the rate we said and we had to go to their computer; access the internet and show them. We ended up paying the rate we reserved. This same situation happened to us in many of the hostels we stayed in.

Overall it is a nice clean hostel with a very good location!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karina D
Cusco, Cusco, Peru
Reviewed September 27, 2012

When I had arrived at Cusco after 5 day trekking, I felt exhausted and dreamed about plain bed and hot shower. When I got up the next day after a night under down-filled blanket and had an amazing hot shower I realized that this is the most luxurous hostel I stayed for the last year of my trip. Cusco is tough in terms of central heating (there is no) so it was really a joy to find a warm place where you can feel like at home drinking your coca tea, relaxing after long-way trip without listening to sum drunk rebel yell from the bar and everpresent commercial house or minimal techno sounds that you have to deal with while trying to fell asleep in the party hostels.
And stucked-in-the-wall mummita is the best.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We recently stayed at Mama Simona for a few nights. The room was clean and the hotel is only a few (albeit, somewhat steep) blocks from the Plaza and Mercado San Pedro. The staff was very helpful and breakfast was OK (S/ 3.50 extra for eggs). They provide free tea/coffee throughout the day and also let guests use their kitchen and refrigerator.
A couple of cons- the walls are thin and our room faced the front desk/lobby so, it did tend to get noisy at times. Quite a few of the good restaurants are on the other side of the Plaza/San Blas and so, it can be quite a walk from/to the hotel.
Overall, not a bad choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Very clean, nice room, great staff, good wifi (witch isn't common in this area), kitchen at disposal, includes a fairly decent breakfast, and great location to visit the city.

I could have used a better heating system though.

• Stayed June 2012