“Great!”

Ranked #174 of 748 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Fujian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hours:Mon-Sat 12:00pm - 3:00pm (L.O. 2:45pm) 6:30pm - 10:00pm (L.O. 9:30pm)
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a really great place. I love the atmosphere and the food. In particular, the S/.15 lunch menu is a fantastic deal. This is the only Japanese place in Cusco (though there is a Japanese restaurant in Ollantaytambo that is also great), so it is worth the visit for lunch or dinner!!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Really nice place, very reasonably priced, with great tasting food. We went here twice for the set lunch which is very reasonably priced (15 soles). Both times we enjoyed the food immensely. The set menu is very good value, which includes a miso soup and small salad, your main, and a barley tea. I had the tempura one time which was nice, but not quite what I'm used to: the vegetables were more of a fried vegetable pattie/rosti which was nice but I prefer when the individual vegetables are coated in tempura. The second time I had the curry udon noodle soup and this just blew my mind. Very tasty full flavour soup, and hand made noodles. Amazing taste! I highly recommend this. My boyfriend had the teriyaki chicken both times and he liked it very much. The ambience of the restaurant is light, open, lots of space, a little airy, very peaceful and quiet. It makes a nice place to escape the crowds in Cuzco. There is also wifi, so you can also spend a bit of time relaxing, reading, surfing and eating. Highly recommended and very good value.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Being the only place to get Japanese food might be dubious in most cases but not in this case! The best indicator is the fact that the cook is Japanese and menu offers traditional homestyle dishes in addition to the sushi rolls we expect in the U.S.

I highly recommend going there for a hearty lunch with donburi (rice bowls) or udon (noodle soup). I especially enjoyed the oyakodonburi (chicken meat, eggs, and sautéed onions) which comes with a small appetizer, miso soup and barley tea for just s/15. My companions had sushi rolls which are large and (per them) delicious.

The menu also includes all sorts of traditional appetizers, but just look for their menu online. Just look for "Japanese Restuarant Kintaro Cusco"

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Lunch set includes a small starter, main and a roasted barley tea. (15 soles)

Dinner menu is exactly similar but are priced 1-2 soles more, starter + main, no tea.

Donburi tastes more authentic than udon dishes as the noodles seems homemade, which doesn't exactly tastes like udon but tastes good also as an oriental noodle soup dish.

Great selection of music and much thought put into the decor of the place. There's wifi and good spaced-out sitting arrangements to chat or hang-out.

A few dishes like trout sashimi or prawn tempura not on the menu. May like to check with the staff on what's available that day.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Chatting about restaurants at breakfast with a chap from Korea (as you do) he raved about Kintaro and how he read on Korean travel forums that it is the best place in town to eat, he certainly liked it. Kintaro certainly attracts its fair share of oriental tourists as well as plenty of western gringos.

We ate at the low tables near the bar and were really impressed with the quality of the nigiri, rolls and salads with decent miso soup. Prices were reasonable with miso soup 4 soles, salads 8 soles and massive bowls of Udon soup are 15 soles. Rolls are a bit more expensive but still excellent value.

We ate late the first time, I think they must have been closing and although the food came quickly some of the drinks arrived once we had finished eating?! Still with the quality of the food and reasonable price we were very happy.

Just wish we had discovered Kintaro 3 weeks ago when we arrived in Cusco!