“Perfect Hotel, Perfect Stay!”

Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza
Ranked #24 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed September 2, 2014

I was attending the Amauta School in Cusco last summer to take part in the Spanish immersion courses offered there, and for the first week of classes my friend and I stayed elsewhere but walked (uphill!) past this hotel every day on our way to Amauta. For our second week there, we decided to switch accommodations to Tierra Viva, and never looked back! This hotel was a genuine blessing to us, not only because of its proximity to our school, but for many other reasons as well. It had a lot to offer when compared to our previous accommodations: comfortable beds and pillows, real 'hot' water (not just tepid), fluffy towels, and best of all, heat! While our internal calendars saw July as a North American summer month, the Peruvian winter wasn't exactly what we were used to back in Texas!

The staff at Tierra Viva were extremely gracious at all times no matter which shift was working, carrying our monstrous luggage up and down the stairs when we checked in and out, and our room was 4 floors below the reception area so that impressed me a lot. I saw them doing this with every other guest on our floor as well. They always strove to meet our needs, whether it was an extra electric heater or a power converter for our electronics, and never made us feel as if we were an inconvenience. They answered numerous questions about Cusco and the surrounding area, and were extra helpful when deciding where to eat or what to do in the evenings, and called taxis for us as needed.

Breakfast was great every single day, with a mixture of the sorts of foods Americans are accustomed to as well as Peruvian staples. The dining room staff was just as friendly as the desk staff, and attempted to accommodate our every need.

Our room was excellent, and I had absolutely no complaints about anything in the entire hotel, which was beautifully decorated, vey spacious, and extremely clean. There were sitting areas scattered throughout with gathering room for several people at a time, and the free wifi worked great the whole week I was there. The bathroom was extremely well appointed, and as I already mentioned, the hot water felt great after long cold days out and about.

If I ever go back to Cusco, this hotel will definitely be where I stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mlouvier
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Dear mlouvier,

Thank you for your excellent comment!! We are very happy to know that you really enjoy your stay at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza.

Our mission at Tierra Viva is to contribute to make everyone´s trip an unforgettable experience. That means, that we will do whatever is in our hands to help our travelers to enjoy the city they are visiting.

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2014

My husband and I spent a total of 6 nights in Tierra Viva hotels in Arequipa, Cusco and Puno during our trip in August in Peru. Here's our opinion on the Cusco Plaza hotel.

The location: Excellent, walking distance to everything! Few steps from the plaza, beautiful churches and cathedrals, tour operators, shops, restaurants, launderette, ATMs etc

The service: WOW, I think this is where the Tierra Viva hotels have got it perfectly right. The service and welcome in their hotels is great. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Always trying to help, please you and make your stay in their hotel and town is as enjoyable as possible.

The room: Super clean, spacious and comfortable. With a mezzanine with sofas and coffee table. Plenty of storage space, a safe, kettle and tea/coffee, heater if needed. Wifi working great in the room.

The bathroom: Immaculate. Great water temperature and pressure at any time during the day.

Breakfast: Excellent and the best we had in Peru! What I like the most is that they offered typical food and fruits from Peru but also the basic continental kind of breakfast with 4 types of juices (papaya, orange, etc), 3/4 types of bread, eggs, bacon, sausage, 3/4 types of fruit, cereals, etc

Business Area: 2 computer free to use by guests, fast internet, printer free to use.

The hotel is the ideal setting for a romantic trip but also for families. It has really nice view from the balcony close to the reception area and the hotel grounds are really cute.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zerin

Dear zerin,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tierra Viva Miraflores Larco with other travelers and for having stayed at our hotels. We are very happy to know that you really enjoy your stay with us at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza.

We hope to welcome as our guest again soon in Lima, Cusco, Arequipa or Puno!

Reviewed August 24, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two nights. Its position is perfect, only a few steps from the Plaza de Armas and the main restaurants, shops and travel agencies. Staff was very friendly and attentive and helped me a lot with info on how to move around. My room was very comfortable and warm, despite the cold weather. The Wifi connection was fast. Breakfast was good and started very early, which was excellent since I had to take a flight and left before 6. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear AChiara78,

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in July while touring South America.

The hotel has a perfect location: it’s within walking distance to pretty much everything you want to see in Cuzco (just beware that it’s situated on a steep slope which wouldn’t be an issue were it not for the elevation). The staff is great and extremely helpful and the front desk personnel has a relatively good grasp of English. Breakfast was good (much better than at the sister hotel in Lima) and started phenomenally early (5 am, I think) so you will have time to grab a quick bite before heading for the first train to Machu Picchu. Our room was just beautiful, actually nicer than at some four star historical hotels I’ve stayed at. Wifi was complimentary and worked fine and there were computers and complimentary printers for boarding passes.

The hotel would be perfect were it not for the following things:

- Noise. This was the one of the quietest rooms we had during our four week tour of South America but we still had to wear earplugs during the night. Some earlier reviews have commented on the noise from the night clubs on the street. We were probably extremely lucky with our room since it was on the ground floor and we could ‘only’ hear a very muffled and quiet tone/rhythm coming from the night clubs. On the street, however, as well as in the reception, the music was just ear-deafening. We did, however, have noise from both of the inner courtyards, especially at breakfast.

- There was no ‘do not disturb’ sign available to be used in the room. This might seem like a trivial thing but actually turned out to be a pretty big deal. We were disturbed on three different occasions by cleaning staff in instances when we really did not want to be disturbed. The hotel needs to invest in some type of signage so that guests can signal to staff that they don’t want to be disturbed.

- Shower was pretty bad with weak power and the temperature kept changing. One day we had NO hot water. We complained in the evening and it was fine again the next morning.

- The hotel uses private drivers (as taxis) who have very old and tatty cars. I realize this is a 3 star hotel and I don’t require a limo or Porsche to drive me around, but drivers with newer and, above all, safer cars would have been important. The driver who took us to the early morning train to Poroy (going to Machu Picchu) had a car which was in such tatters that I actually feared that it might break down half-way and we’d miss our train to Machu Picchu. This is not something I should have to worry about.

- We had a very early morning departure and pre-booked a taxi the night before. The next morning, the taxi was 45 minutes late. The staff at reception did their best and kept calling the taxi company but something had obviously gone wrong. We still made our flight since I always calculate an extra “emergency hour” into our schedule for events exactly like these, but had I not done that, and instead listened to the hotel staff about when we should leave, we would probably have missed our flight.

Other things, that didn’t disturb me, but which other travelers might find useful:

- There are no lifts in the hotel. The staff does help with luggage but getting from the ground floor (where our room and the breakfast room were located) to the fourth one (reception) meant a lot of huffing and puffing at 3200 meters.

- There is no aircon in rooms. We visited in the Peruvian winter when it obviously wasn’t necessary, but I don’t know whether it might be needed in the summer.

- Many rooms appear to have no windows facing outside. This can get claustrophobic for some.

All in all, I would most definitely recommend this hotel as long as you take note of the negatives above!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Boarding_gate123
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Boarding_gate123,

Thank you so much for your comment and for letting us know about the inconvenient that you had at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza.

We regret that your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory and we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again, at any of our hotels Tierra Viva, in the near future.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed in both the plaza hotel and the centro. This hotel is slightly nicer, the room was fantastic and the staff at both places were really helpful. The breakfast area in this one is better than at centro, but I didn't actually get time to eat the breakfast so i can't tell you which has better food. The only downside is that this is $20 more per night.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear SupaMonkey,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza with other travelers and for having stayed at our hotels.

We hope to welcome as our guest again soon in Lima, Cusco, Arequipa or Puno!

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I considered this venue a treat after spending a week prior to this in various accommodations. The reception was great with support to get to your room. The room was great, it included two floors, the loft had two large couches and a coffee table to relax and on the main floor, a flat screen tv, with a free stocked fridge with some beer, sodas and water (all x2). The washroom was very modern and comfortable. The supplied stuff was of great quality. The arranged early morning taxi arranged at the front desk was on time and charged a great rate. (10 soles to airport)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear BangForBuck,

Thank you for your excellent comment and for considering Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza as “Top Notch Service and Comfort”.

If you ever have the chance to visit Peru again, it will be a pleasure to take care of you at our hotels in Lima, Arequipa, Cusco or Puno.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We spent 3 nights here last week. We had a superior room- right off the front lobby and it was full of light and had a wonderful view. I suspect some of the rooms could be rather dark and cave like but ours -401 - was spacious, beautifully decorated and plenty of room for three of us to share. The wifi was fabulous too- maybe the fastest we have had in Peru. The breakfast was good and held in a lovely light public area at the bottom level of this small hotel. There was complementary mini bar of juices and beers and tea and coffee making in the rooms which is really unusual for South America. The reception staff were all gracious and charming with the exception of one young woman who did the day shift and for whom dealing with guests seemed to interfere with her life. I think it is probably worth paying for a superior room to get the fabulous view over the roof tops of Cusco. Note that if you are mobility impaired this hotel is up a cobbled lane way so it would be hard going. And they organise pick ups at the airport which was great. I also recommend a guide they sorta used for us- Hubert from Responsible Travel- best $50 we spent in Cusco

Room Tip: Room 401 is worth the extra price