“Quiet, charming and perfectly located”

Aranwa Cusco Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel is in the heart of the city, yet is quiet, relaxing and distinctive. The staff provided exceptional service, with a little cultural education on the side. The hotel layout and appointments are unique and interesting. The location is extremely convenient. I can't imagine staying anywhere else if I ever have another chance to visit Cuzco.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed one night, actually 15 hours, at the Aranwa. The location is great and the décor is whimsical & fascinating. Each room in the lobby has a curiosity in it. You never know what you’re going to find. The light fixtures are extraordinary. It has an old world feeling with a Pop sensibility. There are some odd things about it, and I like odd, but not so much in this case.

Our room did not have an exterior window. It had a window that looked into the hallway, and the hall way looked out to a courtyard, but it was all enclosed. The other rooms on our floor were the same. I understand that it was a former home and that it had a courtyard, but maybe that’s something that should be stated in the description.

They claim that the rooms have oxygen piped in for your comfort (From their fact sheet: EQUIPPED WITH INTELLIGENT OXYGEN SYSTEM ) I’m not sure if they do as I was too woozy from the lack of oxygen. We had the worst night sleep because of the altitude and did not expect this because of their claim. Sleeping and waking every few hours. If they do pipe in oxygen, they should turn the dial up to “11” as the rooms need more.

While having dinner, there is a parade of guests and staff walking between the tables. The tables are in a hallway that has glass on one side overlooking the courtyard. This is also where you have breakfast and there is a parade of guest with luggage checking out…I know because I was one of them! I hated doing it but there was no other way to go.

The bathrooms are over the top in design and appointments. The shower and tub are what you would find in a spa room. There are 4 shower heads. You’ll need a degree in engineering to operate it and the instructions on the panel are incorrect so be aware. Our shower heads were spritzing in all directions and the tub would not drain because they were not maintained. The last thing you want to do is call and complain about the shower heads in the morning when all you want to do is a take shower & pack up to check out. You shouldn’t have to be concerned with this. Simple shower heads with less problems or test them after each guest leaves.

$3.00 US for an additional small bottle of water in your room. That’s the price for water in an airport. Water is life and at high altitudes it’s essential. $12 for water…cha ching. …oh my make that $13…we tipped! It’s the only hotel in Peru that charged us for water. We stayed at the Orient- Express property & an Inkaterra property and the water was all free. I don’t mind paying, but $3 ?

Would I stay there again? Probably not because of the false window. If it had windows yes but I’d check the shower heads before unpacking and have them turn up the oxygen in the rooms for restful sleep.
As with most reviews on Tripadvisor some of these issues may not matter to you so for you it will be a great hotel. For me it was a good hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with a real window...if they have any
1  Thank Metalligal007
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had two separate visits to the Aranwa on each side of a trip to Machu Picchu. Both rooms (226 and 225) were large with a separate sitting area and ornately decorated. We had problems with the hot water in the bathroom of 226 - the water took a long time to get hot and then quickly went cold in the shower and one basin. There was also a strong smell in the bathroom overnight. The front desk did not seem to be interested in this when we mentioned it on our return. The second room did not have these problems. Breakfast was adequate and the service was OK. We had the feeling that this was not really a 5 star hotel - somehow it just missed providing the extra needed. On the plus side, the location was excellent and the free wi-fi was an added bonus.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stay here for 2 nights last week after staying in Sacred Valley area with the same hotel chain. It was an amazing hotel. So cute and stylish with a Spanish flare. The staff was friendly but not intrusive.
We walked to all the locations we had on our list from the hotel. Mama Africa wad 3 blocks away, San Pedro market was a 10 min walk from the back door of the hotel. Plaza de Armas was 2 blocks away. I can’t stop raving about the location being in the center of EVERYTHING. The rooms weren’t as big as Sacred Valley but that’s expected when you’re in the heart of the city vs. in a remote location. Breakfast was to my liking. Made to order omelets, fresh fruit, and fresh fruit juice. I ate like a pig. You will have tons of restaurants to choose from as soon as you walk out of your hotel.
Around the corner from the hotel is the Chocolate Museum. If you like chocolate you should go and then take a break on their terrace and have some chocolate milk or one of their many other delights while watching the plaza from above.
The bottled water they leave in the room is complimentary and they will replace each day as well as the tea bags they provide.
The water in Peru is very drying so make sure to bring extra moisturizer as the amount of lotion you normally use, will not do anything.
My husband likes his eggs with ketchup and the ketchup in most countries is not like it is in the U.S. So his only comment is to bring your own ketchup when you come LOL.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

You couldn't have picked a better location - right in the heart of Cusco! Beautiful heated marble floors in the bath, luxury king size bed and marvelous artwork throughout. Service was top notch too. We did eat breakfast there twice. It was good. Dinner was also good - but not very many people were there.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Driving the streets of Cusco had me pretty worried about what our hotel was going to be. I should have known better, going through a travel agent, and being the sister hotel to the Aranwa Spa in the Sacred Valley where we spent one night. This one did not disappoint.

My husband ended up being very ill on our 1.5 days here coming from Machu Picchu and on our way to Ecuador. The staff was so helpful to me when I was asking a million questions about finding a local pharmacy, what to ask for, locating a laundromat, needing luggage repair--they probably ducked when they saw me coming.

The rooms are great. Classic, colonial, with comfortable beds and gorgeous bathrooms with heated floors. The tub is giant with great shower features. They also have oxygen pumped into the rooms to better enjoy the space and prevent altitude sickness.

We enjoyed breakfast and dinner in the hotel, and both were good. They made omelets to order along with the standard breakfast buffet fare, and dinners were lovely too. We never made it to the bar.

The hotel is in the historic district of Cusco and close to shopping (and farmacias and lavanderias, for those who need them).

Business center provided access to computers with an ok Internet connection and their small lobby library provided an eclectic mix of reading materials.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Aranwa Boutique was in a great location, the rooms were beautiful, the art work and decor were incredible. Staff were extremely attentive, the breakfast was delicious. We had one meal there which was very tasty. It was a very peaceful and serene hotel in the midst of the busy streets of Cusco.