“greatings for lovely miss Mercedes”

Casa de Mama Cusco 2-The Ecohouse
Ranked #45 of 400 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed 2 nights. Everything was great. We left our backpack in the storage room during Inca Trail for free. The owner miss Mercedes treated us like family. The location is 20 min walking to the Plaza de Armas so maybe could be a problem for some people.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at Casa Mama 2 in Cusco and one night in Casa de Mama Valle in the sacred Valley. Everything was just as described on booking.com and the staff was also really friendly and very helpfull with all our needs. (Be it a Tour to Machu Pichu or a new Tv Set in our room.) Yes it is a bit far from the cultural center, but on the other hand it's really close to the Terminal Terrestre, so no complaints here. Showers were fine, beds too. Just don't expect too much luxury.
We'd definitly stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

First of all, the staff was great, very friendly and genuinely concerned about your travel. 5 star to them. The hotel is close to the bus stop, about 20 mins walk from city center and about 10 min walk from the handicraft market but it is far from any good restaurant. You are better off staying close to the plaza which offers plenty of good hotels, eating and shopping places and close to the historic sites. Don't be fooled by the cheap price like we were. You are spending a lot for your Peru trip, trust me investing a little more in your hotel will make your trip much more comfortable and memorable. The rooms in this hotel have bed bugs! Rooms are dark n gloomy with no sun light. Rooms do not have heaters, although they gave us a space heater which was really slow. Please check if you have running hot water before you accept a room as for one whole day we did not have hot water. Hot water may not be available all the time. Bottom line is it a cheap place to crash in at night if you don't care much about the quality of the room. If you are looking for decent standard, clean room, good views and good ambience, this place is not for you.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Itinerant6
MercedesCusco, Propietario at Casa de Mama Cusco 2-The Ecohouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Mr. I do not understand why you wrote this. I can not say more.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The staff is great. We booked a night, but stayed here for 5 nights (2 nights before Salkantay trek and 3 nights after).
First of all they offer mate de coca on arrival, just in case you suffer from altitude sickness. Hot water is available 24 hours thanks to gas heating. Laundry service is available also. Staff (including night charge) is very welcoming.
Location is good: just 2 or 3 blocks from train terminal, several blocks from market place and a 15-20-minute walk from Plaza Mayor.
They took care of our baggage, we just let them know we are going trekking and left our thing in our room.
The owner, "mama" Mercedes takes case of all her guests. When she knew we are going trekking without a guide, she herself checked the state of the trek and warned us about broken bridge. Besides she gave us some food and was a contact person in case of emergency. I have not meet such wonderful persons before.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel definitely has charm. The staff is very welcoming and sweet. They work their best to help you with everything from altitude sickness to finding your way around town. The breakfast was more than hearty! The room that we had was cold at night and there was no privacy in the bathroom. The walls were made of glass and painted a while ago to add a certain opaqueness to shield those within. The hotel is FAR from the center of Cusco. They told us it was only a 15 minute walk to the square, but it was really 30-35 minutes. With some updates, this hotel could be great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed here for a couple days before the Inca trek and a day after the trek. The place is located around 20 min walk from the plaza de armas. The room was clean with all basic necessities. The break fast is simple, but perfectly adequate to start the day. If you want to store the luggage for the trek, there will take care of it. The only issue, if you are staying the rooms in the top floor, the wifi signal was quite weak. But then why do we go to Cusco, if we need wifi ;)
Mercedes and her team are extremely caring and ensures that we get a great experience. The best thing about Mercedes is that she genuinely wants to help without any business motive, which makes you comfortable around her. I booked only 2 days before the trek in advance and told her I need one more day after the trek, when I reached. She accomodated that day and even gave me the same room. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an affordable hostel.

Room Tip: If possible, get one of the room in the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My friend and I stayed here on our way to and back from Machu Picchu. Mercedes, the owner end up planning our trip. This woman is cool. She speaks 5 languages, very smart! I know where to go and I know what to see, so I just told her everything and she made it happen. Bertha and another lady (pardon me, but I forgot the name) served us breakfast. I requested for a space heater and Bertha got me one. There was plenty of hot water, unlike the place that we stayed in Lima. We were able to leave our bags. Mercedes apologized for the gun noise around 1 or 2 am. There was a wedding and I guess that's part of their celebration. I woke up in the middle of the night and I thought for a while I was in a middle of a war.

Mercedes is truly like a mom who took care of us. My friend & I had an altitude sickness and she gave us some medicines.

Tip: If you decide to stay here, make your reservations ahead of time. Mercedes is very hesitant to accommodate you if you just knock at her door...and I don't blame her.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends