All reviewshot waterhistorical centerenjoyed our stayrooms are cleanmercedesshowerhostel
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The staff is great. We booked a night, but stayed here for 5 nights (2 nights before Salkantay trek and 3 nights after).
First of all they offer mate de coca on arrival, just in case you suffer from altitude sickness. Hot water is available 24 hours thanks to gas heating. Laundry service is available also. Staff (including night charge) is very welcoming.
Location is good: just 2 or 3 blocks from train terminal, several blocks from market place and a 15-20-minute walk from Plaza Mayor.
They took care of our baggage, we just let them know we are going trekking and left our thing in our room.
The owner, "mama" Mercedes takes case of all her guests. When she knew we are going trekking without a guide, she herself checked the state of the trek and warned us about broken bridge. Besides she gave us some food and was a contact person in case of emergency. I have not meet such wonderful persons before.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel definitely has charm. The staff is very welcoming and sweet. They work their best to help you with everything from altitude sickness to finding your way around town. The breakfast was more than hearty! The room that we had was cold at night and there was no privacy in the bathroom. The walls were made of glass and painted a while ago to add a certain opaqueness to shield those within. The hotel is FAR from the center of Cusco. They told us it was only a 15 minute walk to the square, but it was really 30-35 minutes. With some updates, this hotel could be great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed here for a couple days before the Inca trek and a day after the trek. The place is located around 20 min walk from the plaza de armas. The room was clean with all basic necessities. The break fast is simple, but perfectly adequate to start the day. If you want to store the luggage for the trek, there will take care of it. The only issue, if you are staying the rooms in the top floor, the wifi signal was quite weak. But then why do we go to Cusco, if we need wifi ;)
Mercedes and her team are extremely caring and ensures that we get a great experience. The best thing about Mercedes is that she genuinely wants to help without any business motive, which makes you comfortable around her. I booked only 2 days before the trek in advance and told her I need one more day after the trek, when I reached. She accomodated that day and even gave me the same room. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an affordable hostel.

Room Tip: If possible, get one of the room in the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My friend and I stayed here on our way to and back from Machu Picchu. Mercedes, the owner end up planning our trip. This woman is cool. She speaks 5 languages, very smart! I know where to go and I know what to see, so I just told her everything and she made it happen. Bertha and another lady (pardon me, but I forgot the name) served us breakfast. I requested for a space heater and Bertha got me one. There was plenty of hot water, unlike the place that we stayed in Lima. We were able to leave our bags. Mercedes apologized for the gun noise around 1 or 2 am. There was a wedding and I guess that's part of their celebration. I woke up in the middle of the night and I thought for a while I was in a middle of a war.

Mercedes is truly like a mom who took care of us. My friend & I had an altitude sickness and she gave us some medicines.

Tip: If you decide to stay here, make your reservations ahead of time. Mercedes is very hesitant to accommodate you if you just knock at her door...and I don't blame her.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for several nights before and after the Inca Trek. We had a bigger rom than we had booked. Mercedes and her staff did everything to make us feel at home and helped with useful information. No problems storing our luggage here while on the Trek. We highly recommend this hostel as a base for you Cusco visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple