All reviewshot waterhistorical centerenjoyed our stayrooms are cleanmercedesshowerhostel
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed here for a couple days before the Inca trek and a day after the trek. The place is located around 20 min walk from the plaza de armas. The room was clean with all basic necessities. The break fast is simple, but perfectly adequate to start the day. If you want to store the luggage for the trek, there will take care of it. The only issue, if you are staying the rooms in the top floor, the wifi signal was quite weak. But then why do we go to Cusco, if we need wifi ;)
Mercedes and her team are extremely caring and ensures that we get a great experience. The best thing about Mercedes is that she genuinely wants to help without any business motive, which makes you comfortable around her. I booked only 2 days before the trek in advance and told her I need one more day after the trek, when I reached. She accomodated that day and even gave me the same room. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an affordable hostel.

Room Tip: If possible, get one of the room in the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My friend and I stayed here on our way to and back from Machu Picchu. Mercedes, the owner end up planning our trip. This woman is cool. She speaks 5 languages, very smart! I know where to go and I know what to see, so I just told her everything and she made it happen. Bertha and another lady (pardon me, but I forgot the name) served us breakfast. I requested for a space heater and Bertha got me one. There was plenty of hot water, unlike the place that we stayed in Lima. We were able to leave our bags. Mercedes apologized for the gun noise around 1 or 2 am. There was a wedding and I guess that's part of their celebration. I woke up in the middle of the night and I thought for a while I was in a middle of a war.

Mercedes is truly like a mom who took care of us. My friend & I had an altitude sickness and she gave us some medicines.

Tip: If you decide to stay here, make your reservations ahead of time. Mercedes is very hesitant to accommodate you if you just knock at her door...and I don't blame her.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for several nights before and after the Inca Trek. We had a bigger rom than we had booked. Mercedes and her staff did everything to make us feel at home and helped with useful information. No problems storing our luggage here while on the Trek. We highly recommend this hostel as a base for you Cusco visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Mercedes and everyone else on the staff was great. Helped in any way needed. Room was clean and comfortable and a great value for anyone staying in the Cusco area. I stayed on a first floor room and the hot water worked great. Solid Wifi. No problems storing my luggage during trip to Machu Picchu.

I wouldnt say it is walking distance to the Plaza but is it is only a 5 minute, $1.50 cab ride away and taxis are ALWAYS available. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for affordable place to stay in the Cusco area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Mama Mercedes was a gracious host. We stayed in a couple of the rooms during our week long stay in Cusco. The first room was on the 3rd floor. Good accommodations and had a tv. My only issue with the room was the shower. Minimal warm water in the morning. And maybe no water at night. Second room was on 1st floor called Pacha. We liked this room a lot. Three beds, tv, hot water and no stairs to climb. Win win. But for $25 a night, both rooms were still a great value. And a breakfast consisting of bread, an egg, juice and coffee was included each morning. The hostel is located within walking distance of shops and plaza. Also, taxis are always close.

• Stayed: September 2013