“Eco Packers rules!”
Review of Ecopackers

Ecopackers
Ranked #2 of 479 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I just stayed at Ecopackers last week. It's by far the best Hostel I've ever stayed (been backpacking all around). The beds are surely not expected in a youth hostel, and the staff is really cool and helpful. In Cuzco, location is important, and Ecopackers has the one, its just a few steps from the main square. They also have an Ecopackers Tour desk which can help you arrange any tour, trip or trek around. Its big rooms and bathrooms (with REAL hot water) help you enjoy your stay. Free internet is available and very, very useful. Great hostel to chill, meet people and kick back having a drink on its nice bar.

Room Tip: Stayed at room K and G, both great!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
moritas99, Manager at Ecopackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2016

Dear guest, thank you very much for staying with us and for your positive comments, please come back and visit us soon and recommend us to your friends and family, receive our warm regards from the Ecopackers Team

There are newer reviews for Ecopackers

Reviewed October 2, 2011

EcoPackers was a wonderful hostel in Cuzco. The staff was very accomodating and informative, as well as fun. (Play jenga with the bartenders one night ;) ) I loved the open square in the middle of the hostel- it was great to chill out after a long day of hiking and/or sight seeing. The free internet and computers were awesome. They also had large lockers that could accomodate our backpacks- we found this to be rare in the rest of the hostels. Close to the Plaza de Armas, I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 16, 2011

My friend and I stayed at Ecopackers in May 2011. The facilities are all modern and the beds are better than any others in South America - they even have personalised Ecopacker doonas! They have large lockers for backpacks and a big, modern, female-only bathroom with steamy hot showers. Free internet is a plus and onsite tourist information makes it easy to book transport and tours. It is right around the corner from the plaza which has everything you need, and just up the road from a really cool little circus bar. The staff are super friendly and Hector made sure we had everything we needed. The laundry service is fast and efficient. It's not really a party hostel, but it's nice to stumble home from the pubs and clubs (which are literally around the corner) into a nice quiet, comfy, dark room. They have a ping pong table and a nice sunny court yard wich ridiculously comfortable sun chairs. I would recommend the hostel to everybody travelling to Cusco. Awesome location and the cleanest backpackers in South America!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 15, 2011

After going around Peru and staying in many different lodgings, I can definitely say that Ecopackers was the best hostel in terms of staff, location, cleanliness and fun. It is located very close from the main square (Plaza de Armas) in one of the small charming streets with a church at the end, so it is right in the center with many restaurants and bars close by. Rooms are clean and sheets smell very nice (which didn't happen that often in other hotels). I loved the character and ambiance of an old colonial house that this hostel is located in. You can also meet a lot of other travelers who stay in the hostel before or after going to Machu Picchu. Last but not least, the staff were just amazing! Very helpful, very attentive and really nice :) I definitely recommend this hostel to anyone who is in Cusco for a few days and would like to relax, have some fun and meet great people.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here either side of the Inca Trail with a group of friends. The difference in the rooms we all got was unusual. Room A (a private double) was spacious, but could get noisy as it was so close to reception. It could actually sleep 4 with the bunk beds. Room J (private double) was small, dark and had a funny smell I think because you couldn't open any of the windows to air it out. It did have a bath though which was good. We stayed for 4 nights and our room didn't get cleaned once which was disappointing. The communal showers and toilets were cleaned regularly though, so might be better to actually stay in a dorm!
The kitchen's food was really tasty, and reasonable and the bar had a happy hour every day which we used.
You have to pay for everything in cash, which is fine. There is a Citibank ATM about 2 blocks away which didn't overcharge to withdraw. Avoid Globalnet banks!
Overall, it was ok... I reckon you could find similar or better without too much hassle.

• Stayed: September 2011
moritas99, General Manager at Ecopackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2016

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Friendly and helpful staff, clean, safe, good beds and right in the center of Cusco. It has got a big patio with a nice atmosphere when you are tired from traveling or just from exploring the town. Also there is a little bar for the guests, a big living-room with DVD and three computers for using the internet.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 27, 2011

I booked this hostel from the great reviews here, but had an absolutely opposite experience. I am world travelled, and always stay in hostels - that's my budget, but this place was awful!

I booked three nights and unfortunately because we arrived in the evening, couldn't find another place to stay until the next morning.

I paid the top price for a private double with ensuite (usually this guarantees myself and my daughter a decent sleep in a hostel, because usually they are away from the noise of common areas, and loud kids in dorm rooms).

Not here! They had us in a room just beside the reception, and with a door facing the common area where people smoked, drank, used computers and were generally unruly and drunk - cussing, fighting and just being bothersome. Closing the door did not help, and the smell in the room was heavy of smoke (although the manager and reception staff argued with me about that when I asked to change rooms).

I approached the reception about changing rooms as it was too smoky (my daughter has asthma), noisy, and with the comings and goings of loud, drunk people in and out the front doo (slamming), we would not be getting any sleep. They said they were full, but could put us in a dorm room upstairs if we liked. I booked and pre-paid for a private double as I travel with my daughter and do not want to share space with strangers, so this was not an option.

The manager (Alan??) I believe genuinely did try to help and make us happy by saying he would try to help us find different accomodations, etc. and that the noise would finish at 10 pm when the common area shuts down daily, etc. But it was not enough. By 1am, I was furious and at the reception asking them for help to get all the noisy drink kids away from my door, and that is when a fellow who doean't even work there but was behind the front desk started actually arguing with me about what did I expect? Blah, blah, blah. I asked to speak tot he manager again who heard the challenge from this other fellow and came pretty quickly when he heard me firmly say that i wished to speak to the manager, not him. And as he approached, the short, tough-guy fellow from behind the front desk was in my face looking like he was going to punch me in the face screaming "you are the most rude American I have ever met!" I looked at the manager, told him to get the man out of my face, and I squared to the man and looked him in the eye and told him I am canadian, and that trash-talking different countires and cultures was certainly not good for business or someone who would be writing a review. At that, the manager told me that guy didn't even work there, and he yelled something firm to the guy in Spanish that sent him scurrying!

Damage done! I explained to the manager that the noise needed to stop as he had guaranteed it would at 10pm, and it hadn't. In the background to our conversation, you could hear the other guy going floor to floor yelling "SHUT UP!" at all the doors! Wow - I am glad I paid to stay in such an upstanding place! No stress there at all!

I ended up hunkered up with my daughter until 7am when we hit the street looking for another accomodation - fortunately, we found a great one pretty close by (close the the Plaza De Armas which is where we wanted to be).

When we checked out there was a kid at the reception complaining about someone leaving a bottle of urine on his bunk and stealing his towel. he was loaded!

So if this is the type of party you like, by al means this is your place! If you want to have a good rest after days of hiking and looking around Cusco, you will be better to go elsewhere like we did! there was no redeeming factor to this place, and where it gets the good reviews from, I'll never know!

Room Tip: Don't book the high priced private double off the reception - loud, smells like smoke from the c...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
moritas99, Owner at Ecopackers, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2017

Dear Guest, thank you for your kind review, we are happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us and that our services were of your satisfaction, please come back and visit us soon, receive our warm regards from the Ecopackers Family

We have since corrected the issues that you mention. We are Sorry for The inconveniences