“Great Trip”
Review of Private Tours Peru

Private Tours Peru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Travel -trips - Vacations . Adventure ,fly Fishing - Trips Of Cultural Immersion - Trekking - Cooking Classes- Bird Watching Tour - Rafting - Horseback Riding And Other
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I planned this trip with my girlfriend. We did the valle sagrado with a private driver and it was great. It is obvious David loves what he does. My girlfriend and I both speak fluent Spanish so we asked Daivd to take us a bit off the beaten path which he gladly obliged. We ate at a small local dinner away from all the tourists and I still haven't been able to find better chicha morada. He was very flexible with what we wanted to do. We actually ran into him a few days later at Machu Piccu and it was like running into a friend. He took some of the best pics we have on our trip too. Really I am writing this to thank David and wish him well. Gracias Amigo. Que tu y tu familia esten muy bien! Todavia no he encontrado chicha morada mejor que la que tomamos!

1  Thank jlsronce

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Since I had limited time in Peru, I eschewed the organized tours and booked a private guide for two days. Great decision! David was assigned to me by a local travel agent, and I very much felt I had the luck of the draw. He was organized and loved sharing his deep knowledge of the magnificent ruins and communities in the area. He speaks Quechua as well as English and Spanish. His experience covers all sorts of sportier treks as well as having been a chef in this very food-centered country. He's proud of the organic produce and health benefits of the local bounty. A sidelight: One of David's hobbies is photography. So not only did I get the private guide, I got the private photographer recording my visit to Machu Picchu. And his photos were way better than mine would have been!

3  Thank pdxtanguera
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We wanted to tour the Sacred Valley and knew it would be difficult without our own personal transportation. Since it is definitely NOT a good idea to drive in Peru as a tourist (from what I could see, the driving is even crazier than in American cities), hiring David to plan, guide, and arrange for transportation was crucial to us having an enjoyable experience and getting the most out of the area in just a few days. He was very informative, organized, and helpful, even taking scores of photos of us. He is also a genuinely nice person, and it was wonderful when, on one occasion, we ate lunch with him, his driver, and his girlfriend--it made us feel like a part of the community in the Sacred Valley--at least for a little while.

He took us to all the worthwhile tourist stops and put everything we were witnessing into context. He knows a great deal about Incan history. He was also accommodating and took us to places that we had researched and wanted to go to, in particular a cooperative that produces handmade textiles from alpaca and vicuna wool. He even took us back to a spot when there was more light, so we could get a better photograph. He did take us to specific spots where we could spend money on art work, textiles, jewelery, etc. I have no doubt the work is of excellent quality, and he doesn't put any pressure on you to buy anything, but nonetheless, be prepared in case you are traveling on a budget and watching how much you spend. That's why it may be good to research ahead of time what you might want to buy and where to buy it.

Definitely bring your camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, layers of clothing to adjust to the changes in temperature throughout the day, and some cash for snacks, meals and souvenirs. On the first day of our three-day tour, David provided us with bottles of water and carriers to put them in. Definitely continue to bring water (that is purified or bottled.) We paid David in US dollars at the very end of the tour. He alerted us when it was a driver's last day with us, so we could tip him if we wished. The drivers were excellent--very safe.

1  Thank leeclown
Reviewed February 14, 2012

David was our tour guide during our six days trip in Peru. He was hired for two days for a Sacred Valley tour and a Machu Picchu tour.

He’s very enthusiastic and ensures that you have a pleasant, wonderful, safe, and educational and value for money tour.

I approached David via email seven months before our trip. I checked his services, costing, feedback from others and tour that he offer. We are confident David is a genuine tour operator, having prior experience as a tour guide in a tour company with proper certification, and he can customized the tour based on your needs, budget and time frame.

David picked us up at our hotel at 6:30am. We wanted to see the sunrise at Sacsayhuaman, but the weather didn’t permit. As soon as David saw me, he advised me to wear warmer clothing, as I only had a T-Shirt and short pants on, as it was nice and warm the day before. I guess from experience touring Sacred Valley, David was able to know and predict the weather for the day. I’m glad David had advised me on it. We met the other team member, the driver for our tour. He has a Toyota four-door sedan. He’s very quiet, knowing only a little English but he knows the road very well in all kind of weather conditions we had on that day trip. He will normally wait at the car during our hike with David, so you can be sure items stored in the car is secured. He would even open the door for us.

We tour Sacsayhuaman ruins, Qenqo ruins, fed Alpacas at the farm, hiked Pisac ruins, visited Pisac market, and had lunch in Pisac, hiked Ollantaytambo ruins and visited a local home which has guinea pigs (local delicacy) running around. You are expected to pay for lunch for both David and the driver, though they didn’t order from the normal tourist menu. The restaurant itself is not extravagant, more like a roadside restaurant. The menu consisted of mostly western food, which can be found in Cuzco restaurants and I was getting tired of it, so I chose to have whatever David and the driver were having - cheap authentic, traditional Peruvian food. I found mine to be a bit plain taste but nonetheless, I got to experience it. We stopped at a few places to take quick photos of the surrounding and David would offer to take photos of us, having a passion of photography himself. There would be some locals selling tourist’s stuff or offer to take photos of them, so make sure you have cash and lots of spare change in hand as there is no ATM around (be prepare for additional cost during the whole tour). We drove through small towns. David gave us a thorough history of Peru, Cuzco, the different places we went too, Peruvian’s lifestyle, politics, hardships and his growing up days in Urubamba. I enjoyed very much listening to him. Though at times, you do feel it’s much scripted especially during the historic tour, probably because David had said the same thing a lot of times over the years. He told us about the various kinds of potatoes in Peru, even showed us a few pictures of especially, the “wedding” potato. I regretted that we couldn’t do another tour to a remote village or visit the old Inca Bridge. I would have enjoyed that very much. There were several other places that we would like to go but we were short of time, though we appreciate David fitting in all these different places, history and culture, as much as he can, all in one day. He is very proud to show off his beloved country to outsiders like us. He has provided more services than what we have agreed on. We arrived very late that evening at our hotel but safe and satisfied. We even discovered that school lasted all the way to the evening, as we saw school kids in uniforms walking around late at night.

We requested for the driver to drive us to the train station the next morning to catch the Peru Rail to Machu Picchu. We were charged 30 soles for this trip. We had also requested for him to fetch us from the train station the next evening to our hotel. We were charged 40 soles for this and David was in the car too. I felt this was a bit too excessive and felt as though the driver was trying to make a very quick buck. He quoted 25 soles to the airport (other taxis charged 10 soles), though he does provide comfort in his driving and in his ‘luxury’ car.

When we were in Machu Picchu (MP), we met up with David at around 6am at our hotel. We were supposed to hike up Huayna Picchu but looking at how steep the mountain was and my vertigo, we decided to go to Intipunku (Sun Gate) instead. MP itself is huge and does take time to hike from one area to another and it can get very crowded with tourists.

We did ‘arac masin’ at the Sacred Rock with a shaman Q'uero. David and the shaman have been friends for over seven years. This event was the main highlight for our trip. David had organised all the necessary items. He made me a headband with fresh flowers and leaves. He even played his flute for us, wearing his traditional bright Peruvian clothing. The whole event was just beautiful, even though we had to sit on the very small uncomfortable pebbles for almost 90 minutes. It was the most unforgettable moment, and we have David to thank for that. The shaman spoke in Quechua or Aymara (can’t quite remember) language, the Andean indigenous language. We didn’t expect much from David to translate to English for us, just some basic understanding. The shaman was very happy that we have the gods sitting with us to witness the event. We were just happy to do this event at Machu Picchu.

After the event, we went through the usual tourist route at MP. David explained all the normal history about each area of MP. By this time, it was getting crowded with other tourists. I wasn’t listening much as I was just amazed with the whole city and taking photos. We ended at 3pm and turned around to have a last look of the Inca city in front of our eyes, before heading down to Aguas Calientes (AC) in the bus with David and the shaman. We had a late lunch together at AC, next to the Urubamba River; you can hear the roaring of the water stream. We had to pay for David and the shaman lunch and beer of course, but we enjoyed the company. The shaman could not speak English at all, but we managed to communicate with him and talked about his little toddler and how he always does offerings to the mountains and Pachamama before every meal or before embarking on something. After lunch, David took the same train as us but on different carriage. We were picked up and dropped off at the hotel (paid the 40 soles to the driver). We settled the balance in cash (David accepts Soles or US currency) and signed off a contract at the end of the whole trip and hugged each other goodbye to both David and the driver.

We couldn’t thank David enough for this safe and enjoyable experience and all the organizing for an amazing trip, while managing his other small businesses. Definitely recommend David and team as your personal tour in Peru!

4  Thank chayanaim
Reviewed January 20, 2012

If you ever even considered a private tour (if you haven't you really should) you absolutely must pick David Ramos at www.Davidexpeditionsperu.com. We were in Cusco in December as a family and he absolutely delighted every member of our family. He was so totally flexible and knowledgeable. We covered the sacred valley, Mountain villages, and all the basics. Very competitive prices. He was great...funny and educational. He also was fantastic in the planning phase offerring great suggestions and tips. We did a real cool trip to an inca suspension bridge that was soooo cool. A bit of a drive but worth it and he is even thinking of doing an overnight with caves on that trip so talk to him about it.
He loves his people and culture and as an invidual he really gives back to the community. On Christmas day he and some of his friends travelled up to a remote mountain village and spent the day entertaining local children with hot chocolate, bread and gifts for all 350 kids. He even included my family for the experience!! It was amazing.
REach David at www.davidexpeditionsperu.com or davidm14499@hotmail.com or on his cell peru Cusco 984866853

8  Thank Dave S