“Beware of Llama Path and Inca Trail -- changed "confirmed" date 4 times”
Review of Llama Path

Llama Path
Ranked #8 of 888 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Only Inca Trail Tour Operator that has built a house for the Porters; Porters come to do this job from very far away communities up in the andes and had NO place to stay in in between treks; But NOW, they do have one and is called the LLama Path Porters' house - any one is welcome to visit this place at anytime-!
Tampa, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beware of Llama Path and Inca Trail -- changed "confirmed" date 4 times”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

After reading many reviews on Trip Advisor about tour companies for the Inca Trail, I decided to go with Llama Path. I emailed them and was told of the next date available. I sent money via Paypal to obtain the permits. After a couple of days, my date of October 16 was confirmed. After another email to make sure of the date, I was given confirmation a second time, so I booked my flights. The next day, my "confirmed" date of October 16 had no permits available, so I needed to change to October 20. After incurring fees to change my tickets, I agreed to the 20th. I then received word that the 20th wasn't available and it would be the 21st. Since I really want to do the Inca Trail and I had already sent money, I agreed. I was again told that the 21st wasn't available so it would need to be the 23rd. Really -- are you kidding me? I canceled my trip, they returned my money, and now I am not going to Peru. DO NOT USE LLAMA PATH!!!!!

21 Thank stusa

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bellevue, WA
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Llama Path is the best trekking company!”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

If you’re planning on hiking the Inca trail, do yourself a favor and go with the best – Llama Path. First of all, you want to have a great, safe, memorable experience, and secondly, as a socially responsible tourist you want to ensure that those locals who are schlepping tremendous burdens in order for you to be more comfortable in your travels are well-compensated and cared for. I just returned from a four-day hike with Llama Path, and I can’t sing their praises enough. Both our guides were fantastic – they took great care of us, had a good sense of humor, and gave us enriching and compelling explanations of the history of each Incan site we stopped at, Incan culture, and various plants and animals along the way. One guide always stayed at the front of the line and one at the back so that no one got left behind on the trail. The chef provided delicious meals, accommodating all the guests’ various dietary restrictions, and we got to enjoy a combination of traditional Peruvian dishes with some Western comfort foods, like pasta. I’ve never been so lavishly spoiled while roughing it to the max at the same time. If you go with Llama Path, I’m certain you’ll have an experience that’ll make you feel your money was well spent and your conscience will be clear since you chose the trekking company that provides all the necessary gear, clothing, and health insurance for their employees, unlike many others, such as GAP Adventures.

Everyone in my group had many concerns, beforehand; we got ourselves quite worked up over our fears, but immediately found them all to be way off base. I’d recommend you snuff out any fears or preconceptions you may have, and just make sure to pack responsibly (like bringing the right combination of clothes for when it’s in the 30’s and when it’s in the 90’s, a wide-brimmed hat and sunblock, and baby wipes and tp), and go on this adventure already – it’s the experience of a lifetime.

Den Haag, Neherlands
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Book With Llama Path!”
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We went on the classic Inca Trail trek with Llama Path in June. From the very beginning, Llama Path met and exceeded our expectations at every front. We were impressed with our guide and the treatment of our porters. And then as the trip went all our whole group just were impressed over and over again by the food and the extra little services (like tea in your tent in the morning and hot water by your tent to wash with). We had an amazing experience on the Inca Trail and Llama Path made it that much better!

1 Thank chrisk828
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“All around great experience!”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

You never know what is going to happen when you book something in an entirely different country on the computer but, rest assured, you get much more than you expect! The entire team from the gals behind the counter (when you arrive to pay the balance) to the owner (which we had the pleasure of meeting because we had a minor discrepancy) are all very knowledgeable and helpful. The guides themselves are in a league of their own in terms of the vast amount of history and knowledge they share with you over the duration of the trek. We were blown away by the information shared with us by our guide, Raul and his guide-in-training, "Mr. Bigotis". They encouraged you when you were finding it difficult to go on and they enlightened you with stories of Peru's rich heritage & culture along the way. The evenings in the group tent for happy hour and dinner were some of the best memories where everyone got to know each other and the guides and porters were a big part of this. The porters work so hard and it was encouraging to learn that they are taken much better care of by Llama Path than most of the guide companies in Peru. They are paid fairly and are given health care, something in which they are paving the way for other tour companies to try and emmulate. My heart went out to them as they ran by us with quadruple the weight of our packs on their backs but I soon realized that they were extremely proud and loved what they do for a living. If you want to support a company that rewards it's team properly than this is the way to go. There was a small incedent at the very end of our trek that left us all feeling a little out of sorts and that was when we tipped the porters and chef (the suggested amount by our guide) but it wasn't suggested anywhere to tip our guides which we did anyway because they were so incredible. They seemed very off-put when we gave them the tip and afterwards were very 'cool' towards the group. They barely spoke to us until the next day, and even than it was icy. None of us were sure what to make of this, so you may want to check on the protocol of tipping guides before you go. It kind of left a damper on the end of an otherwise incredible experience. Don't hesitate to engage Llama Path...they are amazing!!!

2 Thank beachbumgal
stratford,ontario
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“unbelievable service professional company”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We hiked the inca trail the beginning of May and had a wonderful experience. The hike was more difficult than I had ever imagined but I am so glad I did it.

I booked the trip thru llama path using the internet. The company was professional at all times and quickly replied to my emails.

One reviewer mentioned that they could not pay their balance via paypal and where told they had to go to cusco and pay in person. We did not pay in person and did not even go to Cusco. We were in Ollantaytambo prior to the Inca trail. We were picked up at our hotel and the briefing was given on the bus. It could not have been easier.

The guide was good very patient with slower people in our party.
The porters were amazing. Always smiling just a pleasure to be around.
Everything was set up for us when we arrived at camp. Warm water in front of our tents to wash up (what a treat this was). There was plenty of good food and plenty of water for our bottles.

I recommend LLama path for its service.