“Mostly awesome, but a few logistical SNAFU's.”
Review of Llama Path

Llama Path
Ranked #8 of 914 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Only Inca Trail Tour Operator that has built a house for the Porters; Porters come to do this job from very far away communities up in the andes and had NO place to stay in in between treks; But NOW, they do have one and is called the LLama Path Porters' house - any one is welcome to visit this place at anytime-!
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I went on the 5 day Inca Trail Trek with my wife. Our guide (Adolfo), our cook (Santos), and our 5 Porters took very good care of us & made us feel very welcome. We found out the evening before we were to our trek that the arrangements were not as we had been led to believe during the booking process. After we met with our guide that evening we went online & printed out the terms we had agreed to & showed them to our guide before we hit the trail. He called the home office & got them to agree to put us up in a hotel near Machu Picchu on the 4th night, as advertised. We were forced to by bus tickets (50 Soles) to get to the hotel, from Machu Picchu, which kind of irked us, because it seemed to us that that sort of thing was advertised as being part of our "All Inclusive" package. Again, the I went on the 5 day Inca Trail Trek with my wife. Our guide (Adolfo), our cook (Santos), and our 5 Porters took very good care of us & made us feel very welcome. We found out the evening before we were to our trek that the arrangements were not as we had been led to believe during the booking process. After we met with our guide that evening we went online & printed out the terms we had agreed to & showed them to our guide before we hit the trail. He called the home office & got them to agree to put us up in a hotel near Macchu Picchu on the 4th night, as advertised. We were forced to by bus tickets (50 Soles) to get to the hotel, from Macchu Picchu, which kind of irked us, because it seemed to us that that sort of thing was advertised as being part of our "All Inclusive" package. Again, the Guide, Cook, and Porters were an awesome, friendly, and helpful. I truly believe they did every thing in their power to give us a trek to remember, and they all did a great job doing that, but their masters back in Cusco could have done a better job in the Customer Service department., Cook, and Porters were an awesome, friendly, and helpful. I truly believe they did every thing in their power to give us a trek to remember, and they all did a great job doing that, but their masters back in Cusco could have done a better job in the Customer Service department.

3  Thank Craig M

Reviewed July 14, 2014

One of the best experiences of my life. Great trek, operated very nicely by llama path and great fun. Strongly recommended, all arrangements are done by them and the food is royal.

1  Thank Aditya D
Reviewed July 13, 2014

LlamaPath was superb throughout our travel experience - from prompt/thorough emails, balance statements, reminders, replies before/during/after the booking process, to the trek itself.

The trek, is beautiful and I was surprised how isolated it felt (despite the number of permits per day) - exploring the ruins along the way and "stumbling" upon MP at dawn were definitely the highlight of the entire experience.

We completely lucked out with our group. We were a large group of 16! 8 of us definitely bonded right away and we felt like we accomplished everything together - especially day 2 with the 2 mountain passes. We were the quickest of our group, but like our guides said, there is only 1 path, its impossible to get lost - which was true. Everyone went at their own speed, the guides would help/stay with anyone who was struggling or slower.

The porters are all stars - the red army! They were seriously impressive and there is no way any of us could do their job. They not only set up camp for us, clean up after us, but then carried huge packs and sprinted past us regularly and were completely set up for lunch/camping sites by the time we arrived! They all had good clothing to wear, shoes (some wore boots, others wore tennis shoes/PF flyers type shoes) - which I am not sure if its a personal choice for footwear on the trail? We saw other tour groups with porters in sandals and were not together. The LP porters moved as a group - they even cheered us on, on the path, even though they were doing 10x the work of us...They are truly the stars of llamapath.

An example day:
Wake up 5:30A. Coca tea handed directly to you through your tent door. Hot water in basins and towels at your tent for washing up.
6:00A breakfast. Consisting of coffee/tea/juice, porridge, pancakes, bread, eggs, etc.
6:30-6:45: set out for hike
~12:00-1P: Lunch - 3 courses. Soup, starter/salad, bread, main dishes served family style, tea
~1-2p: start afternoon hike
5: arrive at camp. Tents with our bags already set up for us. Hot water/towels provided to wash up.
5:30: Happy hour with tea, coffee, milo, popcorn, crackers
~6-6:30: Dinner - 3 courses: soup, starters, several main dishes served family style, dessert.
8:00p: bed

The food was hugely impressive. I couldn't believe the flavors and kinds of food they were able to produce from that small tent! We even had 3 tortes/pies during the trip! Talk about impressive. We had several vegetarians on our trip, they made delicious veg fare, which was great! and even enjoyed by the carnivores. There was tons of it, we felt fully satisfied, if not over satisfied :)

Our guides: Marco and Ronnie were great. They had great stories and history to tell about the trail, ruins, and Incan people. They were passionate about the Andean people and the amazing history that we were surrounded by.

Only 1 small issue:
Sometimes we were alone at ruins or on the trail - but with a big group esp with some slower people, this is to be expected. And like I said before, with only 1 path to follow, it wasn't difficult to find our way. Sometimes, especially when we were supposed to meet up at a location so the we could get some history/information, it would have been helpful to have a guide in front and then one guide at the end - but overall I liked that they gave us our space and allowed us to hike at our own paces.

Things I recommend: bring small coins (the first few bathrooms are 1s and there are people on the trail selling drinks); bring clothing/layers for hot and cold weather - definitely extremes on the trail; bring enough $ for breakfast the first day (20s), lunch/drinks the last day, and tips.

I want to address some other things people complained about on TA:
1) I had no problem tipping and I expected to tip - as this is just good etiquette. Lonely planet advises to tip the guide USD $10/day, per person. We had 2 guides so we tried to adhere to this as best as we could, tipping the main guide more than the assistant.
2) Cost - the price of this tour was comparable to others we looked at. Chances are if you pay less - a) it will not be as nice b) porters are likely not provided with good wages, benefits, housing, clothing/gear.

Also of note: we saw porters on the trail carrying toilets from other tour companies, which to me seems inhuman. LlamaPath doesn't support this. Yes the toilets at the campsites aren't nice, but they are still toilets and much better than having somebody have to carry a toilet on their back for 4 days!

LlamaPath is the way to go for the Inca Trail. It was a fabulous experience and truly a once in a lifetime trip. The magic and energy of the Inca Trail and MP is evident. We are so grateful we went with LlamaPath!

3  Thank kfp13
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Llama Path was incredible during our 4 day/3 night trek. Our guides Willian and Jose went above and beyond our expectations! I got sick during the trek and they made sure I had everything I needed to get better as fast as possible. They even booked our tour to Lake Titicaca for after the trek and picked us up the following morning to make sure we made it on the bus to Puno. I cannot say enough great things about Willian and Jose, they are both amazing and the best tour guides I have ever had!

On top of that, everything else was incredible. The food was delicious, the entire trip was well organized, and camp was ready and waiting for us when we arrived to every stopping point. One person in our tour celebrated their birthday during the trek, and they even made a cake in the middle of the mountain for her! I highly recommend this company for whatever your trip may hold!

Willian is preparing a 21 day trip with Llama Path that goes across the three sections of Peru (the coast mountains and jungle) and it sounds incredible! Also Llama Path advertises as a sustainable tourism company and it really is true. They believe this starts with the people and they do their best to take care of their customers, employees and the people of the towns we hiked through. They have a house for the porters in Cusco to stay at with a school for their children and people can go and volunteer at this house /school while learning the language.

3  Thank BrigetteMarie
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We took the 2 day trip starting at km 104 and had a fantastic trip. Our guides Santiago and Ronnie were brilliant from the outset, informative, encouraging and entertaining. The whole experience was faultless and we were fortunate to have 2 days with no clouds in the sky.
The attention to detail , transfer of luggage to the hotel and back to the train station all worked like clockwork.
We even found a great karaoke bar to celebrate our trek to Machu Pichu In Aguascalientes

2  Thank KatePeterCardiff