“4 Day Inca Trail”
Review of Llama Path

Llama Path
Ranked #5 of 929 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Only Inca Trail Tour Operator that has built a house for the Porters; Porters come to do this job from very far away communities up in the andes and had NO place to stay in in between treks; But NOW, they do have one and is called the LLama Path Porters' house - any one is welcome to visit this place at anytime-!
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I participated (attempted) in the 3 night 4 day trek to Machu Picchu. I had both a lead guide, Elvis H., and an assistant guide, David P. And my porter was Rosalio. The reason I wrote "(attempted)" is because I experienced the misfortune of getting very sick while on the trail due to succumbing to altitude sickness. I found out the hard way that I needed more than the recommended 3-4 days to get acclimatized before the hike. This would usually be the moment in the story when one talks about having a horrible experience in this sort of situation. But, for me, the opposite occurred.

I was feeling sick even before we arrived at the starting point for the hike. And realized soon after getting off the bus that I would be in store for a rough experience. Despite this understanding, and being very stubborn, I continued with the hike. Within the first few hours of the hike, I was suffering so much David (the assistant guide) carried my day pack for me. I had a horrible migraine, dizziness, and nausea. I couldn't keep my lunch down when we arrived at the lunch spot and had to rest. Despite all of my woes and complaints, Both Elvis and David were very kind, professional, and extremely helpful in how they handled the situation. Both advised me to do what was best for my health. And Elvis informed me of how to meet the group in Machu Picchu if I was able to recuperate, and decide to rejoin the group. He also advised my porter to look after me so he and David could return to the group of 11 remaining participants.

My porter, Rosalio did an amazing job of seeing that I got back to Ollantaytambo in one piece. While at the place I camped the night I got sick, he constantly checked on me. Brought me food and tea, but also allowed me to rest. While on the trail back, he kept with my pace and also checked to see if I needed rest. Especially after doing the somewhat steep climb out of the valley. He was even checking the rear view mirror while we were in the van to Ollantaytambo, and made sure I was settled in and had a place to stay for the night. With limited English and Spanish between the two of us, it worked out. I recognize that helping me back to Ollantaytambo was part of his job, but how he treated me is what is most important. He was very, very kind to me.

I met met with my group in Machu Picchu, and had an amazing time. I regret missing out on the hike because Elvis did quite well in explaining the Inca history, and the stories of the ruins to us. I usually get extremely bored in these situations, but he was very engaging.

Llama Path hired three great guys - Elvis, David, and Rosalio. Not mention, everything was well organized, the food that I was able to eat was amazing, and overall all who were apart of making the trek possible were in good spirits the entire time I was there. For this reason, I plan to go back to Peru and use Llama Path next year to attempt the hike a second time.

1  Thank Shirell2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,466)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

One of the pricier tour companies but definitely one of the best. Porters are very well treated. Obvious by how cheerful they were and that they always walked together in a group talking and joking. Tent, sleeping bag, walking sticks were all great quality. Cook was amazing, could not believe what they were able to serve up despite the conditions. You won't lose weight with this company! We had a large group so we had a main guide and an assistant guide. The main guide was average, it seemed he had the same explanation at every archaeological site and we walked away not really learning much. The assistant guide however was very good. He answered all our questions and gave great explanations. He was also very good with one couple who struggled on the hike and stayed with them the whole way. Had a fantastic trek, with our final day having great weather! Highly recommended!

2  Thank MGDL1989
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Not too good at writing lengthy reviews so I'll keep it short. Best money ever spent on an organized trip. Llama Path has a really nice and friendly staff, that try to help with whatever they can to make you feel at ease. Everything is really well organized and they provide all the information you need. The 4 day Inka Trail starts with a quick catch up with the guide a day before, when he explains how everything goes. One thing that took me a bit by surprise was the tipping. I knew that we'd have to give tips but when the guide told us what is the accepted amount I thought it was a bit too much. After starting the track and seeing how much our porters had to carry and how hard they worked for our comfort, I'd say they deserved even more. Our chef Sebastian kept surprising us with amazing dishes and it was the best food we had since we arrived in Peru. Our guide Frank Cobos was extremely nice and polite. Really appreciated that he gave us the freedom to walk ahead or fall behind based on our own pace and made sure that we knew what to do and where to go. As we were going through the Inka sites he gave us very good explanations about the places and people that were there.
When we finally left Machu Picchu, he took us to our accommodation at Aguas Calientes (we were staying an extra night there and had another day to explore Machu Picchu), and while we were resting he went around the town to get our train tickets back to Cusco and the tickets for the next day to Machu Picchu. It's was really great to meet someone so genuinely nice.

Overall had an amazing experience with Llama Path and the people we interacted with. Would definitely like to do it with them again in the future.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I just arrived home today after an amazing trip to Peru with 4 friends. We did the 4 day/3 night Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu Dec 3-6. The experience the Llama Path provided is one that I will never forget. The company is efficient, thorough and provides excellent care for both their customers and employees. The porters were hard working and made sure we were provided with everything we needed. Our guides, Casiano and Ronald were EXCELLENT. They were knowledgeable, kind and went out of their way to ensure we all had an amazing experience. The trek is challenging but the views are breathtaking. This truly was a once in a lifetime trip and I cannot thank Llama Path enough for making it so special.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I loved our experience with llama path. From our incredibly knowledgeable and passionate guide, Will Molina, to our wonderful porters and chefs, llama path made our 4 day inca trail adventure a trip of a lifetime. I highly recommend the inca trail, and llama path as your guide!!!