“Cosy, but expensive for what it is”

Casa de Mama Cusco-The Treehouse
Ranked #71 of 379 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The rooms here are great if you want more independence - with private bathrooms and kitchenettes, and the staff are very friendly, but it is not worth the amount they charge. I was particularly unlucky, having been put in LIBRA, the room below the breakfast room (very noisy floors) and surrounded by bright corridors, which made it difficult to sleep. Saying that, all rooms are connected to the staircase, which is made of wood, and sound travels!! If you really want to stay here ask for another room.

Room Tip: Don;t choose LIBRA, under the breakfast room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Casa de Mama Cusco-The Treehouse

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Please check if you have hot water when you check in. Because no one is on site to support after 7 pm. You get stuck with a room with no hot shower. There so many other place you can stay at Cusco with staff support and a hot shower. It's not acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank yincity
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The accommodation is unique, quirky and cute. It's almost a tree house, having most of the apartments built around a living tree.

Facilities are basic - bed, TV, heater, a 2-burner gas stove, kitchen sink, small fridge, microwave, basic crockery and cutlery. But they are sufficient if you want to stay in and make yourself something to eat. Of course, you are just metres away from a huge array of restaurants and cafes as well.

Carmen is absolutely wonderful in looking after the place and you. She prepares a simple, but lovely, breakfast each morning. She is always very quick to respond to any requests such as when the gas runs out etc.

Room Tip: The first apartment has no view. Ask for a room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank VeraH31
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Loved Casa de Mama Cusco 1. Spent a total of 5 nights there. Let us store our luggage while we were on the Inca trail. Gave us 2 beds which we wanted even though when we booked it was for one. Had a fridge, cook top and microwave and heater which was nice. Close to the main plaza. Have to walk up a flight of stairs from the road to reach it so if you have a lot of luggage this may be a problem. They did meet us the first time we arrived to help us which was nice. They offered to pick us up at the bus station but we had already made other arrangements. Breakfast was included, coffee, bread, fruit, juice. I was given an egg the first morning but none after that.
Helped us arrange for a tour of the city the night we arrived.
Couple of things to note. They have no name over their door just a number so when a tour came to get us they had difficulty finding the place. Shower curtain is too short so water goes all over the floor. We had the same room before and after the Inca trail with a 5 day gap in between and found the room clean but the microwave and some dishes in the cupboard were dirty.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It is more of a hostel, not a hotel. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Location is very good, and 35 steps from the street, are no big deal even for the old fart to master. At the price I definatly recomend this place if you like Bohemian adventure. If you looking for western style hotel, this is not it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at Casa de Mama for 16 days in March 2013 and I already look forward to staying there again in the future for many reasons. First, the location is perfect. It is on Atoqsaycuchi, a staired pedestrian “street” in the San Blas District, which I found to be the nicest part of the city that I saw. The Plaza de Armas is an easy and beautiful 10-minute walk through narrow Incan corridors where you will see lots of Quechua people in their native dress, alpacas, women making and selling handicrafts, while passing by interesting shops and through quiet plazas. Going back to the Casa from the Plaza is a little slower as it is mostly uphill, but it is still an easy walk and there are lots of places to stop and rest if you need to. There is also a way to circumvent the stairs (Choquechaca/Calle Triunfo), a slightly longer and easier route that involves walking up a steady incline. Groceries, cambios, laundry services, restaurants, and everything you would need are just outside the Casa door. Perfect location.

I booked a double room at Casa Mama because my nephew joined me during my second week in Cusco. It had two double beds, a refrigerator, portable heater, television with full cable (including HBO and other movie channels) and a kerosene stove. Silverware, cups, and plates were stocked in a hatch behind the bed. The kitchen area was a little small and tight, but it sufficed perfectly for my long stay. The bathroom was built around a living growing, tree, which I found to be cool and unusual.

My room was on the lower level, so it had a big window that looked out over the courtyard and a small secure widow that faced Atoqsaycuchi. My friend booked a single room directly above my room that was much larger, had a microwave, and a stunning view of Cusco, especially at night with all the lights on the mountains. I was jealous, but I also came to love my cozy little room on the courtyard with the trees and all the big hummingbirds just outside the windows, which could be opened for fresh air.The bed was sufficiently comfortable with lots of blankets.

I didn’t expect a nice breakfast to be served in my room each morning, but that comes with the price of the room and is so nice. Coffee, juice, bread, fresh bread, and scrambled eggs with sausage, an onion and tomato omelet, or bananas with honey were all in the rotation. It was a nice way to start each day.

But the best part of Casa de Mama is the people. Mercedes owns and manages Casa de Mama Uno and, in another part of town, Casa de Mama dos. Her English is excellent (she speaks other languages too), she is extremely knowledgeable and helpful and can offer practical information about the city as well as its history and culture, of which she is proud in a humble way. I arrived in Cusco with no luggage after a number of canceled and missed flights, so I was tired and irritable and extremely distressed about being in an unfamiliar place with just the clothes I was wearing. As a Lan Peru agent was leading me to fill out some paperwork, I spotted Mercedes standing outside holding a sign with my name on it. I gestured to her and she came running in behind me. From that point on she took over the lost-bags process, acting as translator, explaining the process, and exchanging information with the airline people. That was the biggest relief and exactly what I needed at that point. She then loaded me in a taxi and took me to the Casa, showed me my room, and had coca tea waiting there. The coca tea was wonderful and really soothed the throbbing headache I developed as a result of the stress and altitude. She assured me that my bags would arrive the next day, and although I knew she had no control over that, I felt better knowing she could call the airline and check up on things. The next day my bags arrived intact, as Mercedes said they would. The thing about Mercedes that I think everyone who has stayed at Casa de Mama knows is that she genuinely cares about her guests. This gives the Casa an element of warmth and home that you will not find in any hotels. It is a very rare commodity in today’s hospitality industry, and worth so much more than matching linens and luxury.

Carmen, the housekeeper, is always there when you need her. She is cheerful and warm in addition to being helpful and reliable. She is the one who makes breakfast, cleans the rooms, and keeps everything together throughout the day and night. She will take your clothes and wash them for a fee and have them in your room neatly folded and packaged within hours. She and Mercedes are two of the hardest working women I have seen anywhere.

People (workers, etc.) sometimes knocking on the courtyard door early in the morning was really the only aspect that could be improved. Mercedes and her husband (an artist who designs and builds the rooms and is all smiles) were building another room when I stayed there and the construction could get a little noisy sometimes, but it was during the day and I was usually out and didn't notice it. When I was there, it really wasn't that loud.

I found Cusco to be a genuinely friendly and warm place, overflowing with life and art. Every step is a photo opportunity. There is no shortage of smiles and it’s a beautiful place. Casa de Mama is the same way, full of art, life, smiles, and genuine hospitality. I can’t imagine returning to that wonderful city and staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kurt N
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hello, we booked this hotel and would like to use the airport Shuttle pickup and provide out flight information. However, i am not able to find a phone number or email address of this hotel. How are we supposed to contact them? Any help if appreciated! thank you.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natalia P
MercedesCusco, Propietario at Casa de Mama Cusco-The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for writing this question usually we contact with our guests to their mail address that we find in the reservation form , We pick up our guest for free from the airport when we receive the information of their flight that you can write in "clients comments" of your reservation form.
Kind regards