New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #65 of 325 Cusco B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Authentic Andean Experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We loved Mercedes, Carmen and team. They picked us up from the airport really really early, had Coca Tea ready for the altitude and shared valuable information about the area. The hotel is beautiful, clean and has a great view of Cusco. It is close to the city centre and plaza de armas. Thank you for a wonderful 3 nights!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the view of the City when you book.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this funky little hotel for several days while we toured the area. We loved our house mom. She was so sweet and accommodating. Our reasonably-priced, clean room came with a fab view of Cusco's hills, classic and complimentary breakfast, a simple kitchen, hot shower, cozy bed, lots of light, security, and a table for writing or eating.
This little hotel is within walking distance of many good restaurants and every kind of shop one would want. It is situated up a set of stairs, but we acclimatized quite easily.
The owner, Mercedes, arranged airport pick-up and stored our luggage for free while we used Mama Casa's as home base for other excursions; when we returned, it was like coming back home as we were greeted with a warm smile and a cup of coca tea.
Comfy, quirky, safe, and memorable.
If you are looking for a typical white-walled hotel room, Casa Mama is not your place. If you want a Peruvian experience, stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank in2soap
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I am peruvian and met my South African husband in Cusco, so we wanted to come back for our 5th anniverssary. Good choice! Casa de Mama was THE right place to stay!Since the e mails with the owner Mercedes I felt a special conection with this place. Casa de Mama is located in the San Blas area in Cusco, sorrounded by restaurants, shops and filled with a magical atmosphere, is walking distance to the Main Square, be aware of the stairs, is a bit hectic but we managed and loved the area. Casa de Mama It is a very basic hotel,a few bedrooms only , but the service is amazing, they make us feel at home. We had a confortable bed,warm enough and plenty of blanquets, hot water perfect,even a kitchennete, a fridge and a microwave in the room! they take the breakfast to your room every morning, scrambled eggs, coffee, juice, we were so spoiled by Carmen the lady that stays there every day.He was a truly mama for us! We got an apartment with an amazing view of Cusco, we loved to sit in our little table for breakfast while we enjoyed the view planning our day. If you are not fussy, and you want to enjoy the real taste of Cusco, stay here, the price is really good value for money. They also contacted Eduardo .A very decent man who took us all over the Sacred Valley, Eduardo has a brand new car and does the taxi service for Casa de Mama. Congratulatiuons Mercedes and Carmen, you really know how to make people feel confortable! Muchas gracias amigas, la pase lindo quiero volver pronto! another plus is they offer free transfer from station/ airport to the hotel and they storage our suitcases while we were in MAchu Picchu. Looking forward to come back to the magical Cusco!

Room Tip: apartment Sagitario
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rocio96
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I just visited Peru and stayed at Casa de Mama. Mercedes not only housed me at Casa de Mama (various locations), but she also took care of all of my tour needs (various locations and guides).

Whatever you need Mercedes and her staff can help - dining recommendations, shows, laundry service, reliable & safe taxi and tour guide service.

I SO love Peru and can't wait to go back again.

Muchas Gracias, Mercedes!

Mary

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

This is the second place owned by Mercedes that I have had the pleasure of staying at and it was amazing enough that I would love to return for a third time. If you think you are going to a five star lodging, you will be disappointed, but for comfort, location and price, this place is perfect. I guess I should say that I have fallen in love with Cusco and if travelling there for the first time, remember that it is not an area that has regular hotel chains.

My first of many reviews, but where to start? They offer pick up from the airport, which is perfect for those visiting for the first time. All the staff is available at all times so if you have questions or need bookings for your excursions, it can be arranged quickly and efficiently with great prices. It's also nice that this is at your request and not pushy or sales like. My first room had incredible views, TV with good channels and free Wi-fi! I did return to the hotel after a week in the Amazon, and they happily held my belongings. I happily left it for them to store for me because you could feel the sincere genuine goodness radiating from everyone who worked there. The second room still had fantastic views, I did find it a little chillier, but they do provide heaters if needed, and have extra blankets. I was a little thrown off by the electrical heaters in the showers but if I understand correctly, they do generally spark so be sure not to play with it too much. Showers were always warm but I did find there was not so much to be found at the tap.

Breakfast is included, like it is in much of Peru, and is generally the same as it is everywhere else. Coffee, juice, eggs and bread, fruit. Really is just enough when dealing with the altitude. You can walk to the little shops to pick up water and drinks, snacks, even walk to the market to try out all the different fruits and bring it back to your "apartment" and store in your mini kitchen. And all the restaurants you will find in your Lonely Planet are steps away.

It's nice to have your own keys as well so that you are able to come and go as you please without feeling like you are disturbing someone. Laundry is done fast and easy

Yes, it is a little quirky and if you have problems with stairs I might not recommend it, but then if you have any problems with walking I wouldn't recommend Cusco! It is Inca territory and everything is up or down steep hills.

If you spend even one night here, the cost would be well worth the breathtaking views. Carmen, Marco, thank you for an amazing stay, I know I will see you again, I just hope it's soon!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank venusrn
Dublin, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Great location and SUPER nice owner Mercedes and her husband. But unfortunately that is where it ends. Our room was awful - tiny and cold. Bathroom had no hot water, neither in the sink (Not possible at all) nor in the shower (Suppose it is possible but we did not experience that possibility). Bed was disturbingly squeaky and felt like it might fall apart at any moment. Bedding MIGHT have been clean, as it did not smell bad, but it was so old that it was no longer possible to determine its condition.
Overall it was pretty terrible and we could not be happier to get the heck outta there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank EugeneAZ
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

We loved staying at Casa de Mama in the San Blas neighborhood of Cusco! It was just the lodging experience we were looking for in Cusco. A homey, warm, and comfortable residence that doesn't look or feel like a hostel.

Our stay began with Mercedes, the owner, picking us up at the airport and giving us a ride back to Casa de Mama. Here, she welcomed us with a cup of tea and good conversation about her family background, history of Cusco, and what we should do while in Cusco. We felt very comfortable right from the beginning. The lodging has just a few individual rooms that each include a small kitchen table for breakfast, comfortable bed, and private bath. We had no problems getting hot water for our showers.

We did stay in the off-season and were able to leave our bags in the hotel while we trekked to Machu Picchu for two days. We found them just where we had left them. The staff here seem to really pride themselves in being available and helpful, trustworthy and sincere, and they fulfilled that during our whole stay. In fact, our immediate host (sadly, I have forgotten her name), had to call a number of local tours/airlines for us to confirm our travel plans due to mix-ups and strikes in nearby towns. She was more than willing even though it was late. We were greatly appreciative of her concern for us.

This was our favorite lodging during our whole trip to Peru. I would go back in a heartbeat for the location and uniqueness of the lodging, especially when you take into account the value. Our intentions were to backpack through and stay in hostels, but I splurged a bit on Casa de Mama, and it was well worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple