“Machupicchu and Huaynapicchu with kids”
Review of Machupicchu By Car

Machupicchu By Car
Ranked #196 of 929 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Machu Picchu Travel. Tour Operator in Cuzco - Peru, specialist in National Packages.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Exhilirating beauty ! I have to put in a good word for Guillermo our guide who was prompt ,knowledgable , organized and catered to what we wanted and at our pace.Traveled with 6 athletic kids ages 8,11,13,15,18 &21. We climbed Huaynapicchu.I was a little concerned with safety which you should (pictures below). My 8 year old and I climbed leisurely up to about 90% of Huaynapicchu stopping to rest after steep segments. The hike up to this point was not too concerning and good enough for us.( I did not want my 8 year old to get too tired to hike Machupichu ruins after) The rest went to the top at a faster pace with our guide. I felt better that my kids were with an expirienced guide that has hiked Huaynapicchu many many times and left the ultimate decision to my oldest daughter to turn back if she felt it was too dangerous. Well they conquered Huaynapicchu! She said the last 10% of the hike was the scariest she's ever done. At the top they pretty much stayed low to the ground and moved about on their "butt".
Hope this review helps you decide if you would like to hike the optional Huaynapicchu. Machupicchu alone was quite the hike and spectacular. Lastly, I recommend guillermo If you need a guide in Cusco or Machupicchu email: guillerlavilla@hotmail.com

Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is the summary of my trip from Lima to Cuzco by car. Total of 7 days.
First day: Arrived Lima by plane from Brazil, a driver welcomed us at the airport and drove us to the office rental. I got a unlimited mileague rental of a Grand Vitara 4x4 (both needed) at the National Rent a Car, local office by email. We left toward Nazca, good road, about 6-7 hours.
Second day: After a good breakfast, we left at 08:30 am toward Cuzco and started the real adventure. Scenic, breathtaken views, montains, valleys, vicunhas, alpacas, lhamas, ice, many trucks and curves... 14 hours till Urubamba (our final destination). The road is a little dangerous but nothing impossible if you like to drive, the views worth for all. Better with a good car, I wouldn t do it with a compact, GPS is not mandatory but I had one in my iPhone and I used it a lot. Puquio, the first city, has nothing, Abancay doesn t have anything at all, keep the tank full as you can and have snacks and beverages cos there isn t any place I would stop for eatting. I barely felt the altitude effects, we have reached 4.436 meters. I think I would feel more if I had travelled by air, I definitely have no regrets of doing it by car.
Be aware cos I am sure the things are worse in the rainy season, some pavement are lost near Limatambo but anything to worry about if you are on a SUV.
If you want a safer drive, make it in 3 parts. There are some fair hotels in Abancay, but there isn t anything interesting there, the advantage is you are not losing the views cos your will be driving only during daylight.
Not a good trip who feels sick in the car or with small children; The roads have tolls, have local money; There is no ice on roads.

6  Thank yflavio
Reviewed May 25, 2012

From Cusco, Peru, you will have to take a 1-1/2 hr scenic bus ride to the Peru Rail train station in Ollantaytambo. From the train station, its another 1-1/2 hr to the foot of the mountain and another 30 mins bus ride up the treacherous mountain road to the visitor center. So all in all, about 3-1/2 hrs just to get there from Cusco. Wear comfortable walking shoes as there are a lot of walking and at high elevation, there isn't much oxygen in the air. This is not for old people and definitely very difficult for handicapped people. Climb up to the agricultural area for a bird's eye view of the ruins and plenty of spot to take pictures. Coming down back to the visitor center, go into the actual ruins to get the feels of what's its like during the 1400 A.D. era. Best view is at the Guardian Hut at the top of the agricultural portion of the Machu Picchu. The agricultural section reminds me of the Rice Terraces in the mountain provinces of the Philippines.

4  Thank riverbypalm
Reviewed March 6, 2012

make the tour of the Inca Jungle 4 days in Cusco with an agency Bioandean Expeditions was very good, very nice experience the first day we picked up, the hotel very early the guide was very good, bike in good condition and all equipment, the first night stay very basic but very comfortable and the food and everything, the second day was a very long walk like 7 or 8 hours but we were in the jungle of Cusco to Santa Teresa, nice twon, third day take car to hydroelectric and then walk to Aguas Calientes hotel was better good bed and the restaurant was very good food, fourth day very early walk to machupicchu very beautiful city with very good guide historical explanation and all there is to know about machu Picchu, the very good return train to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco , thanks for the fantastic adventure in Cusco,

1  Thank Andrew g
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I think I never felt this much joy from what I could see but many more questions than it could be, but it was cloudy but still I could take lots of pictures, wonderful

1  Thank charles o