“Great stay at El Peregrino”

Hostal El Peregrino
Ranked #53 of 445 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Montreal, Canada
“Great stay at El Peregrino”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I really enjoyed the personalized service at this hostal. Maruja, the manager, took care of all of the arrangements for our Macchu Picchu excursion. The staff were friendly and considerate as well. Ideally located near the Plaza de Armas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tony A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We arrived in Cuzco an hour early than we original notified you, as the airline from puerto maldonado put us on an earlier flight of which we could not notify you. The tourist lady at the airport organised a taxi for us to your Hostel. We arrived at the Hostel where we were greeted by two young staff members who promptly took care of our luggage. The hotel manager (I think her name may have started with an M) apologized for not picking us up but we explained it was not her fault.

We both have travelled extensively around the world and stayed at 5 star hotels but nothing compares with the service that we received at your Hostel. It more than exceeded our expectations. Listed below is some examples that your hotel manager helped us with.

1. We wanted to catch the local bus to the Pisac Market. The Hotel Manager provided detail instructions.

2. A couple of times we needed breakfast before 6:00am of which your staff ensured we were looked after.

3. I (Lisa) tried to take my ring off my finger but it got stuck on my finger on the way back from Machu Pichu. The lady manager organised a jewelller to cut the ring off of which my finger was losing circulation.

4. Condor travel pick up disaster. The night watchman telephoned condor travel to see what time they were picking us up but they did not answer. We were ready at 6:45 am waiting for Condor to pick us up. At 7:05am condor rang reception to tell us the bus to pick us up was leaving in 10 minutes and we had to get their fast. Your hotel manager took control of this situation and organised our bags plus us plus her into a car to get us to the bus station pronto. When we got their the bus had left. The Condor person at bus station was useless and was incapable of helping us.. Again your hotel manager took control and ensured that the driver would would deliver us to the first stop of th ebus which was half an hour away. Your hotel manager could see that we were upset but she made sure that we could catch the bus by coming with the driver to see us get on the bus. If we had missed this bus we would have missed our cruise on lake Titicaca. At that first stop which we think is the tourist stop. Condor admitted it was their fault that they did not pick us up. We informed condor to contact you and your hotel manager to thank you as you went out of your way for us to have a true Peruvian experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa_S18
Sf Bay Area
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had high expectations from this place, and it was nothing but massive disappointment from the start. On their website, and in all their email communications, they brag about providing free airport pickups. I gladly took them up on this offer, providing them with my flight details, so that they would send someone to pick me up from the airport upon arrival. I looked for someone holding a sign with my name, and saw no one. I wandered the airport for minutes hoping that I had just missed the person, but no one was there waiting to pick me up. To make matters worse, there are no pay phones in the airport arrivals hall, so I couldn't even call the place to inquire (obviously this isn't their fault). I found a very generous taxi driver who attempted to call the hostal on my behalf, but no one answered the phone. As a result, I was forced to pay out of pocket to be driven to the hostal. Upon arrival they acknowledged that they failed to pick me up, but no one seemed able to provide any explanation. When I pressed different members of the staff, their English language skills seemed to disappear. Their only offer was to give me a free ride back to the airport.
I quickly tried to put this incident behind me, and checked in. As they were leading me to my room, they commented that I would need to switch rooms the following day (I was booked for 3 nights total). They never provided any explanation, although it seemed clear that they have a rather relaxed definition of reservations, and it apparently doesn't mean that you're reserving the same room for all the nights, simply that you'll get a room. Again, I tried to ignore this customer service quirk, and moved on with my life.
However, that night, is when everything quickly spiralled out of control. Their website & emails very casually mention that if you're a light sleeper, you should request a room "facing the courtyard", as there's a nightclub near by which blasts loud music until quite late. The sad reality, is that this very same nightclub also has a restaurant, whose staff uses the courtyard as a break area, until quite late at night. To add insult to injury, the music from the nightclub is very loud, and quite noticeable in every room facing the courtyard. And all of thise noise persists until 3 or 4AM (or at least did for the nights while I was there). However, I'm getting ahead of myself. When the "thumpa thumpa" music was going at full blast around 9PM, I walked down to the lobby to inquire if they could perhaps move me to a different room where the noise wasn't audible. I was told that they had no other free rooms, and the music would stop around 10PM. Very politely I thanked them, and went back to my room. While 10PM wasn't ideal, I was quite willing to tolerate the noise for another hour, if it meant that I'd have relative peace for the rest of the night. However, 10PM came & went, and, if anything, the noise only got louder. I returned to the lobby to complain, and was given the run around. First the person who I spoke to didn't seem to understand any English. He passed me off to a different woman & the manager, both of which had somewhat better English skills, but not great by any means. They tried to convince me to walk over to the nightclub to talk with them about the noise. This request was beyond surreal. Why should I have to try to communicate with the nightclub about their noise problems? If the hostal management isn't able or willing to address the problem with their neighbors, it shouldn't fall upon me to do so. At that point, the manager seemed to phone the night club to request that they turn down the music. She said that they agreed to do so, however as the remainder of the night proved, nothing changed or improved. I got very little sleep that night, and what I did get was repeatedly interrupted by the music, screaming and noise from the restaurant and nightclub across the courtyard.

The following morning I was moved to a different room (which also faced the same courtyard), and the manager commented that it would be quieter that night, as the nightclub wasn't open that night. It seemed odd to me why a nightclub would be closed on a Thursday night when it was open the night before, but I held out hope that she was being honest with me. Of course this was not to be, and I suffered through a 2nd night of loud music, running nearly until 5AM.

For my 3rd, and final night they moved me again to a different room, however this one faced the street rather than the courtyard. While there was quite a bit of street noise (people talking, traffic, etc), compared to the noise from the night club, it was heavenly. I actually managed to sleep reasonably well.

If they didn't have noise problems, or customer service issues, I would have likely been quite pleased. The rooms were clean & comfortable. The free breakfast was quite nice. The free wifi worked reliably (if a bit on the slow side). And the location is awesome, less than a block off the Plaza de Armas.

However in the end, the horrific noise problems are a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. While I realize that the noise is basically out of their control, their lack of honesty is the real issue.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms facing the street are somewhat less noisy than those facing the "courtyard"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This place is amazing. Unlike any hostal I've ever stayed in. The service is personalized and they make you feel like a VIP. Maruja, the manager, was an incredible help. She helped us book our Macchu Picchu tickets while we were still in the US and went and stood in line for us to pick them up. They greeted us with a sandwich and coca tea as soon as we got there. She booked all our tours and bus trip, and even hostal in Aguas Calientes at a great price. They have laundry service as well. Included breakfast is great with eggs, tea, juice, fruit and bread. Location is right in Plaza de Armas. I would love to go back and spend more time here. We did alot of traveling throughout Peru and this was definitely the best place we stayed. Worth the money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2011

It's a real shame because we stayed at this hotel for 6 nights prior to our trekking and we were reLly pleased with the room, breKfast and service. Before leaving for the 4 day trek we booked to stay at the hotel the night we returned from our trek. We also left our backpacks in their care (so they knew we were definitely retiming!). Unfortunately on arriving at the hotel after our trek they told us they hadn't any rooms available! I was so upset I could have cried. They phoned another hotel to see if they had availability and also took our bags over to the new hotel, they also offered for us to return to them the following day when they had space (thanks but no thanks!) and said they would pay our taxi to the airport. Call me stubborn but I just would have liked them to honour their reservation system!

So this is why I have given overall a rating of 2. The other ratings I have given refer to our stay prior to the cock up.

I can't recommend staying here however as I think it's too much of a risk that you could turn up after a long tiring trip/journey, only to find you have no room!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Joliday
tel aviv
Reviewed August 15, 2011

we stayed at this hostal 5 nights and we wanted to stay longer.The rooms are very clean.They change the towels everyday and you have a surprise.The staff is friendly and caring.The breakfast is excellent and coca tea is served whenever you ask.It is situatedin the centre near the plaza but it s a quiet place

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The rooms have thick down comforters and heaters. Coca tea is available anytime as well as breakfast. Laundry done cheaply and fast. Right off the Plaza de Armas. The staff walked us out to the taxi when we left. About as good as it gets for a hostal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family