“Home in Cuzco”

Casa de Mama Cusco Recoleta
Ranked #81 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for 4 weeks whilst on a medical elective in Cuzco. Really enjoyed my time here.
Staff all very friendly and helpful. Marina always willing and able to help wherever possible and very knowledgeable about local sightseeing and tour guides.
The room was very comfortable although basic and the only negative was that the shower could have been warmer. The room was also initially quite cold (was here in the middle of winter) but we asked for a heater which made a huge difference.
Lovely rooftop terrace to soak up the suns rays and a great view over Cuzco, the hostel is very centrally located close to the city centre, great restaurants and just a 5-10 minute taxi ride to the hospital. I stayed there with my partner and unfortunately whilst there we both came down with gastro. Staff really helpful in organising medical help for us during this time.
Definitely would recommend to anyone looking for a friendly, relaxed comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jess240790

Reviewed July 14, 2013

A good family run business - very friendly and helpful.The hostel is clean and well maintained and within easy walking distance from the Plaza de Armas. Good breakfast. Very good value for the money - I've booked to stay there again when I return to Cuzco in a couple of days time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful with many things like storing luggage, arranging for taxis, etc. The breakfasts were very good. The view from the roof top is also very nice. The location is very convenient. A recommended location

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2013

As far as accommodations go, this hostel was the highlight of an otherwise bad trip. I arrived in Cusco early in the morning, I was three months pregnant, traveling alone, and was very sick with food poisoning from my stay in Lima. The women working at this hostel made sure I was very well taken care of, that I received good rest, and anything I needed. I had previously told them I had wanted to tour the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu, and that was all I had to do--they took care of every detail for me, and at a great price. All of the restaurants and trains they selected for me were very nice without being over the top. The only problem I had was when I returned to their other property they had me transfered to before and after Machu Picchu (Casa de Mama--a very nice and equally friendly hostal in Ollyantetambo), they made sure I was put on a taxi bus back to Cusco so I could make my early flight out the next day, but had forgotten to bring my backpack. They asked the taxi driver to stop and get it for me, which they didn't do. My Spanish was a little rusty and I didn't understand the situation until I returned to Cusco at 2 in the morning and there was no backpack. In the end, they had to have another cab bring my backpack and take me to the airport in time to just barely make my flight. They made sure I had my luggage, but I had to pay for the cab that brought my backpack and the guy working the hostel that night/morning was less than sympathetic about the situation. That unfortunate incident aside, I would recommend this place to anyone. It is very clean, private, and a great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I ended up there by chance as my 7 day Machu Picchu hike was postponed to next day. Basically it is family owned business that tries to pull you into buying through them packages on "discounted price" which of course is not the case. As I said I stayed there only 1 night, wasn't expensive, typical budget hostel in Peru. My only complain was that it's located in the dark alley and was very noisy as a young son of the owner had friends over playing games and laud music till midnight (I tried to complain, as I need to sleep before my morning hike, but as I heard from other guests that were staying there longer, it's like that every night, oh well). Embrace yourself to no toilet paper nor toilet seat- very common to 90% hostels in Peru.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was my first hostel in Peru. I didn't know what to expect, so I wasn't too much. The hostel is very basic, however you don't need much being in Cuzco, except of hot water available 24h/day, WiFi to connect with your family and friends, and location which will not cause the need of taxi ride to the centre. Generally you can find all these in Girasoles.

About 10 min to the Plaza de Armas, some small restaurants and bars around the corner.

The hotel stuff picked me up from the airport, which was very convenient. For the beginning you'll get a Coca Tea, which helps a lot, if you've just arrived to this altitude.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Maciek_Wanderer
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here for about 5 weeks in July/August 2012 whilst on a medical placement at a local hospital and the accommodation was organised for me by a different company. The rooms are very comfortable - I actually had a twin room to myself with an ensuite bathroom. There was also free wifi and a computer that you can use. Breakfast of bread, eggs and jam with coffee and juice is very good. It has a great location - it is a 5 minute walk to the lively plaza de armas and all that goes on there, and there are restaurants, small shops and laundries even closer, on the same street. The best thing is the staff! Laura the hostel manager is fantastic - she was more of a friend than just a member of staff! When you arrive, they sit you down with a cup of coca tea, they will organise and book excursions for you, give you advice on where is good to go and just generally be super helpful. The cleaners and the lady who cooks breakfast are also lovely and good to practice your Spanish with and if you're lucky Laura might teach you some salsa too!

The only bad points I can think of is that the rooms could get a bit chilly sometimes and there was a rooster behind some of the rooms that woke me up early now and then.

Room Tip: I'd probably go for one upstairs if you can choose because then you won't hear people knocki...