“A great first experience with Peruvian cuisine!”

Chicha por Gaston Acurio
Ranked #56 of 729 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Hartsville, SC
“A great first experience with Peruvian cuisine!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I chose this restaurant because I read about the cleanliness standards of Sr Gaston. As a typical gringo, I try not to eat the street food too much. I am somewhat nervous about getting sick, as it has happened to me in almost every country I have visited. So, Chi-Cha is a place that everyone says is the cleanest in the entire country.

My wife and I had two typical peruvian dishes, and shared both. I found that the food was wonderful. The service was excellent, but as some other reviews have stated, it appeared that there were too many servers. The floor was very crowded.

I found that the ambiance changed significantly, based on the crowd. At the beginning of our meal, the place was filled with mostly older people. By the end of the meal, the pisco sours were flowing and the vibe was completely different.

As the week went on, I because more adventurous and tried other peruvian dishes at other restaurants (those of lower quality.) I didn't get sick. The food was almost as good. The prices were significantly lower.

All in all, a great warm-up and a great experience.

• Visited December 2012

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Peru's celebrity chef and a special occasion would seem like a good reason and opportunity to try Chi-Cha. There's no shortage of servers (too many actually I think you're paying more for the staff than the food) and whilst they were efficient at delivering plates they lacked 'snap' and it was a fairly dreary experience. The place was three quarters full with plenty of fresh arrivals, but what a sterile, soul-less ambience.

The menu is equally so so, there are a far more inspiring offerings to be found in Cusco, but Chi-Cha purports to offer classic Peruvian dishes done to the highest possible standard. Whilst one or two plates were visually appealing most were ordinary and even the 'lookers' were fairly insipid on the palate. For Peruvian standard dishes you will be much better off and much better fed eating in cheap local joints. Honestly what haute-cuisine establishment offers 'aeropuerto' a Peruvian Chinese dish of fried rice with a fried egg on top... at these prices!

Sorry Sr Acurio you will have to do a lot better than this, I visited for a celebratory experience and left wishing I had been anywhere else but Chi-Cha.

• Visited January 2013
“Great food in Cusco and Arequipa”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ate at Chi Cha twice, both in Cusco and Arequipa. Both times the food was excellent, a great intro to Peruvian cuisine. I'd stick to the classics, like Rocoto Relleno, guinea pig etc. Whenever we deviated into fusion, it just wasn't as good.

Visited December 2012
Reno, Nevada
“Had to go to Gaston's restaurant!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great food (very expensive of course), right in the historical center, very nice atmosphere! We ordered cuy to try but it was so fancy cooked that if anybody asks me if I tried it I still say no. I would like to go back.

Visited April 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Andean gourmet in a lovely setting!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

WE visited Chi Cha a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I had a delicious deep fried guinea pig dish. The guinea pig was not served whole and then sliced "as is" (which often happens in Peru), but rather was arranged artfully on my plate with various seasonings, delicately sliced veggies/greens and spices, atop a bed of deliciously seasoned red/mixed quinoa. The dish was wonderful --far better than any guinea pig I'd had on past visits to Cusco..MY husband had the pork rind entree and loved it...and our 11 year old daughter had a pizza (which was OK, nothing to write home about, but that is not their specialty). Even though one is advised not to eat toomuch on one's first day in the Andes, we made pigs of ourselves....we probably should have waited until our third day in Cusco to eat here,,,, but the altitude sickness headache the next AM was worth every bite! (I can say that now thatI am backin low altitude!),.

• Visited December 2012